Thread: NBA Dress Code
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

It is a bad idea because no one in the history of the game was doing this. NBA players have been some of the best dressed athletes around. I think this is a cultural issue and an age issue. There are players from different countries that do not dress under this dress code. There league is mostly an African-American, urban league of players and many of those players do not come from a background that this type of dress would be common. The comparisons with other forms of jobs are ridiculous as well. I know people in construction, they are not wearing business casual when they are going to work. These guys are in a profession where they change into a uniform and get all sweaty and we expect everyone to be in a suit? I also think the NBA could possibly alienate many of their fans that buy video games and their throwback jerseys and support the buying of shoes. It is not just the corporate interests that support the league. It is people that "cannot afford a ticket" to the game that gives the players and the league revenue.

And before someone thinks I am crying racism, I am not. If you have ever seen Steve Nash or Bill Walton's son before and after games, this is not about race. It is about age and what is acceptable amongst a younger generation.

Peace