The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal start of a dribble? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22728-illegal-start-dribble.html)

RefLarry Wed Oct 19, 2005 04:42pm

#53. A-1 lifts his/her pivot foot and then throws the ball toward A-2.A-2 does not see the thrown ball. After the ball hits the floor,A-1 is the first to touch the ball.Official rules this is an illegal start of a dribble.Is the official correct?

Certainly seems like some kind of violation but "an illegal start of a dribble."? Same as double dribble in anybody's opinion? Wording seems tricky to me.

Lotto Wed Oct 19, 2005 05:18pm

Since A1 lifted his/her pivot foot before starting the dribble, this is a travel.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 19, 2005 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RefLarry
#53. A-1 lifts his/her pivot foot and then throws the ball toward A-2.A-2 does not see the thrown ball. After the ball hits the floor,A-1 is the first to touch the ball.Official rules this is an illegal start of a dribble.Is the official correct?

Certainly seems like some kind of violation but "an illegal start of a dribble."? Same as double dribble in anybody's opinion? Wording seems tricky to me.

Official is basically correct. It is not a double dribble. It is a violation even if A1 had not previously dribbled. As Lotto said...traveling.

IREFU2 Thu Oct 20, 2005 06:59am

Quote:

But he didnt say anything about a dribble, just a pass. The pivot foot can be lifted, not put back to the floor. But is cant be lifted before the start of a dribble.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

But he didnt say anything about a dribble, just a pass. The pivot foot can be lifted, not put back to the floor. But is cant be lifted before the start of a dribble.

If A1 is the first to touch the ball, his intended "pass" now becomes a "dribble", and all pertinent dribble rules apply. The official was correct.

ditttoo Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:43am

How, then/if, does this apply.

Same basic scenerio. A1 lifts foot and attempts a shot, but the shot falls short without ever hitting the rim/backboard and he/she gets their own rebound; perfectly legal. Why would you have "no viollation" in this scenerio and a "travel" when the attempted pass was fumbled in the given scenerio when both situations involve a player lifting their pivot foot initially without starting a dribble and ending up dribbling?

IREFU2 Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:45am

My thoughts exactly.

ChuckElias Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by ditttoo

Same basic scenerio. A1 lifts foot and attempts a shot, but the shot falls short without ever hitting the rim/backboard and he/she gets their own rebound; perfectly legal. Why would you have "no viollation" in this scenerio

Because team control ends on the release of the try

Grail Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:52am

Quote:

Same basic scenerio. A1 lifts foot and attempts a shot, but the shot falls short without ever hitting the rim/backboard and he/she gets their own rebound; perfectly legal. Why would you have "no viollation" in this scenerio and a "travel" when the attempted pass was fumbled in the given scenerio when both situations involve a player lifting their pivot foot initially without starting a dribble and ending up dribbling?

A shot ends team possession, and player possession. Thus, anything that happens after that shot is different.

IREFU2 Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:53am

Oh I see know, maybe its along the lines of a player cant dribble, fumble and dribble again???

bob jenkins Thu Oct 20, 2005 07:53am

Quote:

Because the rules (interpretations) on a try are different.

walter Thu Oct 20, 2005 08:23am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Oh I see know, maybe its along the lines of a player cant dribble, fumble and dribble again???
In the initial scenario it's not a fumble. It's a pass. If a player receives a pass but fumbles the catch, he can go get it and then begin a dribble. You can fumble, dribble, fumble but you can't dribble, fumble, dribble. In the situation above, A1 passed the ball. A1 cannot go and recover the ball and start over. If A1 had ended his dribble and then passed the ball with his pivot foot off the ground, he can't go get it. If, however, A1, when ending his dribble, fumbles the ball away and goes and retrieves it, legal. He can then pass or shoot but can't dribble. As every one else has posted, the dribble rules apply.

SamIAm Thu Oct 20, 2005 08:39am

Quote:

Presuming that A-1 has already used their dribble, this is an illegal start of a dribble. I was educated to this fact by NevadaRef during a discussion about the way to travel without the ball, there is only one.

Snake~eyes Thu Oct 20, 2005 09:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
Quote:

Presuming that A-1 has already used their dribble, this is an illegal start of a dribble. I was educated to this fact by NevadaRef during a discussion about the way to travel without the ball, there is only one.

It doesn't matter if A-1 used their dribble, you cannot start a dribble with your pivot foot of the florr.

ChuckElias Thu Oct 20, 2005 09:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
of the florr.
In English, that means "off the floor." :D