The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

...my last rare-situation IAABO question of the day...#57. While the ball is in the air on a jump ball to start the game,A-2 intentionally fouls B-2. Official instructs the scorer to set the arrow toward team A's basket when the ball is at the dispoal of B-2 for the first free throw. Is the official correct?

Rule 4.Section 3 ?
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Case book play6.4.1SitE(c)
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

6.4.3 The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

Larry, did you read the case book play that I cited? It's the exact play described in your question.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry.I do not have the new case book yet. I have 2003-2004 only.

Thank you for the reply.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Larry, fyi....

Casebook play 6.4.1SitE(c): During the jump ball to start the game,after the ball is tossed A1 intentionally fouls B1. When is the possession arrow set?
RULING: The arrow is pointed in the direction of A's basket when a player of B has the ball or it is at the thrower's disposal for the throw-in following the free throws.

Hope that helps, podner.

You really should get new books if you don't already have them. Makes studying and writing exams a heckuva lot easier.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, have you been able to answer any of these by yourself?
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Larry, fyi....

Casebook play 6.4.1SitE(c): During the jump ball to start the game,after the ball is tossed A1 intentionally fouls B1. When is the possession arrow set?
RULING: The arrow is pointed in the direction of A's basket when a player of B has the ball or it is at the thrower's disposal for the throw-in following the free throws.

Larry, you might reason that the arrow is set when it is because that's the first moment that control is established - the free thrower is has player control holding a live ball inbounds, and thus there is team control . . .
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Larry, fyi....

Larry, you might reason that the arrow is set when it is because that's the first moment that control is established - the free thrower is has player control holding a live ball inbounds, and thus there is team control . . .
And what, may I ask, does the free thrower having player control have to do with this case? The arrow is not set when the free thrower has the ball and may not even be set towards A at all. It is set on the throwin that follows the FT(s). If there is another rules infraction before the throwin to start the game (or overtime), that infraction will determine the arrow. For example, B2 fouls A2 while B1 is shooting the FT. A will get the gall OOB for the foul against B and B will get the arrow.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Braincramp

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Larry, fyi....

And what, may I ask, does the free thrower having player control have to do with this case? The arrow is not set when the free thrower has the ball and may not even be set towards A at all. It is set on the throwin that follows the FT(s). If there is another rules infraction before the throwin to start the game (or overtime), that infraction will determine the arrow. For example, B2 fouls A2 while B1 is shooting the FT. A will get the gall OOB for the foul against B and B will get the arrow.
You're correct. Thanks.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's confusing to a lot of people, but it's actually pretty simple. If you shoot FTs before the arrow has been set, then the arrow is initially set when:

1) The ball is at the inbounder's disposal following the FTs for a non-common foul; OR

2) The ball is at the free thrower's disposal for the FTs for a common foul.

That's all there is to it. If they're bonus FTs, set the arrow when the shooter gets the ball. If they're technical or intentional FTs, then set the arrow when the inbounder gets the ball.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I've answered all of these by myself. Whether my answers are correct or not remains to be seen. I'll receive my 2004-2005 book when my board meets.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RefLarry
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I've answered all of these by myself. Whether my answers are correct or not remains to be seen. I'll receive my 2004-2005 book when my board meets.
Um....don't you think that, for officiating purposes, it might actually be better if you received your 2005-2006 book.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

As a generality . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It's confusing to a lot of people, but it's actually pretty simple. If you shoot FTs before the arrow has been set, then the arrow is initially set when:

1) The ball is at the inbounder's disposal following the FTs for a non-common foul; OR

2) The ball is at the free thrower's disposal for the FTs for a common foul.

That's all there is to it. If they're bonus FTs, set the arrow when the shooter gets the ball. If they're technical or intentional FTs, then set the arrow when the inbounder gets the ball.
As a generality set the arrow at the last possible moment at the last point the ball becomes alive before the clock may start, yes?
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: As a generality . . .

Quote:
As a generality set the arrow at the last possible moment at the last point the ball becomes alive before the clock may start, yes?
No, b/c if you're shooting 2 FTs for the bonus (opponent's 10th foul), you still set the arrow when you give the ball to the shooter for the first of the two FTs, even tho the clock won't start until after the second.

The rule is: If they're bonus FTs, set the arrow when the shooter gets the ball. If they're technical or intentional FTs, then set the arrow when the inbounder gets the ball.