The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorebook (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22624-scorebook.html)

truerookie Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:05pm

How many (officials) actually have the coach sign the scorebook verifying the lineup is correct? IAW rule 2

tjones1 Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
How many (officials) actually have the coach sign the scorebook verifying the lineup is correct? IAW rule 2
I don't have them sign it, however I get verbal confirmation that it is correct.

Dan_ref Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:17pm

Quote:

How many coaches know how to sign their name? :D

I never make anyone sign anything.

truerookie Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:21pm

How many coaches know how to sign their name? :D

You have a point there. :D

walter Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:44pm

When I go over to verify the book, I look for primarily two things, equal number of players in each book and that there are no illegal or duplicate numbers. I do not pay much attention to names. I also designate the home book as the official book and the home scorer as the official scorer. I then have the two scorers introduce themselves to each other and ask them to verify that they are in agreement after each basket and foul and to verify that they have the same score at each timeout and quarter at a minimum. Once that is done, I talk to the timer for a few seconds and then go back out to the floor. I never ask the coach to sign the book. I will say that one of my [et peeves is that, at the high school level, especially when JV games are played before the varsity games, the books are rarely ready at the 10 minute mark. That is why I usually wait to check it until the 7-8 minute mark. If the home bok is not ready by then, I have started games with a technical foul.

stripes Thu Oct 13, 2005 06:00pm

I do every game because it absolves me of responsibility with the head coach. If there is ever a problem with the book, I show the coach the mark made by the asst. coach and tell him that the asst. coach's signiture (or initials) verify that he had reviewed the book and deemed it correct. At that point it is on the assistant coach and not on me.

This has been a luxury for me a few times when there was an error. Coach can't really say anything to you.

truerookie Thu Oct 13, 2005 08:51pm

I will say that one of my [et peeves is that, at the high school level, especially when JV games are played before the varsity games, the books are rarely ready at the 10 minute mark. That is why I usually wait to check it until the 7-8 minute mark. If the home bok is not ready by then, I have started games with a technical foul.

Walter, I understand you give a little leeway if the book is not ready by the 10 minute mark. The question I will ask. Is it asking too much for them to prepare the book between halves of a JV game? I am just asking.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 13, 2005 08:59pm

Quote:

I will say that one of my [et peeves is that, at the high school level, especially when JV games are played before the varsity games, the books are rarely ready at the 10 minute mark. That is why I usually wait to check it until the 7-8 minute mark. If the home bok is not ready by then, I have started games with a technical foul.

Walter, I understand you give a little leeway if the book is not ready by the 10 minute mark. The question I will ask. Is it asking too much for them to prepare the book between halves of a JV game? I am just asking.

Rook, just a point. There is <b>no</b> rules requirement for the book to be "ready" at the 10-minute mark....or at any mark for that matter. The rules only require the teams to <b>supply</b> their team roster to the scorer by that time. After that, it doesn't really matter how long it takes the scorer to actually enter that roster into the book.

Just wanted to make sure that you understood the actual requirements of that particular rule.

truerookie Thu Oct 13, 2005 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Rook, just a point. There is <b>no</b> rules requirement for the book to be "ready" at the 10-minute mark....or at any mark for that matter. The rules only require the teams to <b>supply</b> their team roster to the scorer by that time. After that, it doesn't really matter how long it takes the scorer to actually enter that roster into the book.

Just wanted to make sure that you understood the actual requirements of that particular rule.

JR. can I call you JR? thanks :D

ChuckElias Thu Oct 13, 2005 09:10pm

Quote:

What is "IAW rule 2"? More generally, what is IAW?

truerookie Thu Oct 13, 2005 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

In Accordance With (IAW)

Dan_ref Thu Oct 13, 2005 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

International Association of Wefewees

http://www.artsandcraftsfair.com/mer...Fudd_small.JPG

Ref in PA Fri Oct 14, 2005 07:20am

When I am the "R" on the crew, I have each coach review the book for their team to make sure the line-up supplied to the scorer got into the book correctly. It prevents on average 2 book technicals a year in my experience. The coaches who have never looked at the book before seem puzzled why I would have them review it, but the lightbulb turns on quickly and most all of them are appreciative for the review - especially when that occasional mistake has been revealed.

joseph2493 Fri Oct 14, 2005 07:41am

After meeting with the coach I draw a line under the last name and ask him/her to initial and I initial as well...

If a name is added to the book then it has to go below that line and there will be no dispute that it was added...

Like others it has saved me many time from having to issue a T...

bob jenkins Fri Oct 14, 2005 09:52am

Quote:

Which part of Rule 2 requires this?