The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

This new rule for HS is going to take a while for everyone to get ahold of. I believe it will be almost forever for the coaches and parents but we as refs might prolong that process. Here's what I mean: one night the refs don't administer it correctly and the next night another crew does it right. The coaches won't understand because last night it was handled the other way.

Seems to me that when we have a situation, if the crew will get together and think it thru, it's pretty easy to get it right. After attending 3 camps this summer, I've heard this rule discussed pretty thoroughly to where I'm comfortable with it.

I've already had several situations this year working summer and fall ball where coaches were totally confused. The biggest is involving rebounding fouls. Coaches understand that the team control rule is to be implemented here. Just yesterday a coach was so adament that WE had the rule wrong that HE chose to travel the road that earned himself a T. Unfortunately, he's also a HS ref.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

No team control on a rebounding foul.......team control exists while th team is in control.......when a shot is released for a try, there is no team control anymore, therefore no team control fouls exist, and bonus throws can be shot.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paxsonref
No team control on a rebounding foul.......team control exists while th team is in control.......when a shot is released for a try, there is no team control anymore, therefore no team control fouls exist, and bonus throws can be shot.
Exactly! Yet he insisted on us implementing the team control rule. I asked him who has team control during a shot and yet het still misunderstood the rule.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Exactly! Yet he insisted on us implementing the team control rule. I asked him who has team control during a shot and yet het still misunderstood the rule.
Even if you do "implement the team control rule", you still don't skip the shots. There is no team control during a rebound so the rule says to give shots to the team that got fouled.

The rule change is fairly simple, and most of us should be used to it from watching college ball. Coaches don't need to understand the rule change as much as they need to understand team control. This will also help with those rebounds that are tipped into the backcourt, and with throw-ins that appear to violate the team control rules.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Even if you do "implement the team control rule", you still don't skip the shots. There is no team control during a rebound so the rule says to give shots to the team that got fouled.

The rule change is fairly simple, and most of us should be used to it from watching college ball. Coaches don't need to understand the rule change as much as they need to understand team control. This will also help with those rebounds that are tipped into the backcourt, and with throw-ins that appear to violate the team control rules.
Ya know what?

I don't like this excluding the throw-in for team control fouls.

Ya know what else? I betchya team control on throw-ins will be next years NFHS changes.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure why this would be so confusing. (with the exception that NBA has loose ball call) the NBA has done this for years and the college has done it for the past couple.

What this points out is the weakness that many officials have... When I started officiating I was told to learn rule 4. We have way too many officials who dont know rule 4 and mess it up. This rule isnt going to cause us any more problems than "backcourt on the throw-in" or long rebounded shots that go backcourt, or timeouts after a made basket, or a host of everything else tied to definitions that officlas dont want to learn and then perpetuate problems when the rest of us show up and do it right
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 08:42pm
Administrator

I am not going to climb up into the attic to look up the year the change BUT:

The team control foul rule that the NCAA adopted two years ago and the NFHS adopted for this school year is not new to either organization.

Until the late 1970's games played under NBCofUSC (the predessor of the NFHS and NCAA), NAWGS, and FIBA (it still has the team control foul rule) used the same team control rule that is now in the NFHS and NCAA rules.

I guess being a bald old geezer has its advantages.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Hey Mark, your post looks like an explosion in an Alphabits factory.

btw, check this out:

http://www.mrshurleysesl.com/alphabi...classpage.html

Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

I would totally agree with this. I am still trying to understand the logic behind the NFHS NOT making the high school rule the same as the NCAA rule. I guess to me, it just makes sense that a player with the ball in hand, standing out of bounds, is in control, hence his/her team is in control. Perhaps a way to ask the question is, how is the team NOT in control?

Any opinions or comments appreciated...thanks.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rmr1119
[/B]
I would totally agree with this. I am still trying to understand the logic behind the NFHS NOT making the high school rule the same as the NCAA rule. I guess to me, it just makes sense that a player with the ball in hand, standing out of bounds, is in control, hence his/her team is in control. Perhaps a way to ask the question is, how is the team NOT in control?

[/B][/QUOTE]Well... probably because the NFHS rules still say so.

NFHS rule 4-12-6 sez "Neither team control or player control exists during a throw-in...".

Under NCAA rules, a team does have team control after the ball has been given to them for a throw-in.

Iow, completely different rules. No logic involved. We just gotta follow what we're given.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Heres my two cents. NFHS cant ever adopt anything fro someobody else because it's not their own.

This is an example. The three-tenths of a second/shot rule is another.

However given the way they view High School it may be a transition. The rules are still written assuming people know nothing about basketball (raised hands for whistles etc)

They may be looking at a transition so that there was not a major reewrite to a lot of rules. I agree that a team holding the ball for a throw-in in in "control" but what other rules would need to be changed if they changed that definition given the wording of the NFHS book?

- throw-in going back court would either be illegal ( Rule 9-9 states that player shall not be first to touch ball after it has been in team control in front court) NBA rule is this way with an exception the last two minutes... so if we wnated the same rule as interpreted now there would be an exception to 9-9 to be created

-three second rule 9-7 states that player cant be in lane wile ball is in control of team in front court. And of course you know someone out there would call three seconds before you had your 5 count done if there was not an exception or a change in wording to team in control and ball in bounds.

- May even have to rewrite Rule 9-8 since the ten second count is when team is in continuous control f ball in BC for ten seconds. So without a rewrite of that rule as well... Following the exact definition team inbounding holds ball for 4 seconds now only has six seconds to get ball across time line.. (remember NCAA 10 second count for men starts differently than NFHS-- touched instaed of control)

I just dont think they wanted to rewrite that many rules and confuse some officials, and a lot of coaches.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the other stuff you're all nitpicking over, this particular new rule, the team control foul rule, is not that difficult at all to grasp (certainly compared to some other new rules in the past) and will likely make our lives easier than harder. I like it.

The fact that coaches didn't seem to understand it in the summer is irrelevant. Since when do coaches understand anything about rules? There are only a couple new rules to deal with this year, and they are all pretty easy to understand and implement.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Hey Mark, your post looks like an explosion in an Alphabits factory.

btw, check this out:

http://www.mrshurleysesl.com/alphabi...classpage.html

Dan, you've got way, way too much time on your hands!!
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Heres my two cents. NFHS cant ever adopt anything fro someobody else because it's not their own.

This is an example. The three-tenths of a second/shot rule is another.

However given the way they view High School it may be a transition. The rules are still written assuming people know nothing about basketball (raised hands for whistles etc)

They may be looking at a transition so that there was not a major reewrite to a lot of rules. I agree that a team holding the ball for a throw-in in in "control" but what other rules would need to be changed if they changed that definition given the wording of the NFHS book?

- throw-in going back court would either be illegal ( Rule 9-9 states that player shall not be first to touch ball after it has been in team control in front court) NBA rule is this way with an exception the last two minutes... so if we wnated the same rule as interpreted now there would be an exception to 9-9 to be created

-three second rule 9-7 states that player cant be in lane wile ball is in control of team in front court. And of course you know someone out there would call three seconds before you had your 5 count done if there was not an exception or a change in wording to team in control and ball in bounds.

- May even have to rewrite Rule 9-8 since the ten second count is when team is in continuous control f ball in BC for ten seconds. So without a rewrite of that rule as well... Following the exact definition team inbounding holds ball for 4 seconds now only has six seconds to get ball across time line.. (remember NCAA 10 second count for men starts differently than NFHS-- touched instaed of control)

I just dont think they wanted to rewrite that many rules and confuse some officials, and a lot of coaches.
My only comment on your possibilities, is that they are already taken care of. Your first example has the throw-in going into the backcourt. Remember, for the backcourt violation there has to be team control in the frontcourt. The ball isn't in the frontcourt, it's OOB. I would think the same reasoning applies to the 3-sec. counts, and the 10-sec. counts as well.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

But my point was that if they went to team control on throw in those rules would have to be modified or clarified.