The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Working a varsity boys H.S. game the other night.....when my partner, one of those old boys network guys, calls a traveling on B1. What happened was that there was a loose ball on the floor, when B1 dove for the ball and got it, but in the process of getting the ball he slide on the floor on his belly. Know yes he did move forward after getting the ball, but it was his moumentum that made him do it, and not just doing it to avoid the defense. At the halftime break I told him that I didn't think it was a walk...he said "Well when you do your college games you can let it go, but when I am working it is a walk." Yes there is some hostility in my group about me doing college, and not being one of the boys. Tell me what you think!!!!!
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner obviously cannot admit to making
a mistake. If it happened as you described, at any level it is not a travel.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

I believe the rule is, your momentum is not considered traveling, however if you roll in an attempt to avoid the defence that is what constitute's the travel.
Your "partner" seems to have forgotten the old adage that "your only as good as your last game" and making calls like that might be the reason he isn't calling at the college level.

------------------
Don
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 08:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I know what you mean. At a clinic, I was explaining the over and back rule. I gave the example of A1 dribbling in the frontcourt, B1 hits the ball, it hits A1 in the leg and goes into backcourt where it is recovered by A1.

One of the refs there said, "there's a lot of experienced refs who won't call that, because they rule that B1 "caused" the ball to go into the backcourt."

My reply - "Then there's a lot of experienced refs who would be wrong. That doesn't mean you should be one of them."

Just figure that the guy is jealous and maybe the reason he isn't doing higher levels is because he makes wrong calls when he really knows better.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

An easy way to remember the over and back rule is think last touch last control. This
makes the call very easy and it is as you
stated, over and back if A-1 is the last to
touch the ball in your scenario. Guys that
don't make the call lack courage because they no they can pass it off as being right
with most coaches who do not no the rule.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Its a shame these good olde boys don,t open there eyes and minds up as much as they do there mouths. Maybe they could learn something. Its obvious they don,t have this web site as one of there favorites because they would learn something and that would be against club rules. But enough with spouting off you are 100% correct in the rule and the spirit of the rule.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Did you ever notice the people that do not want to change or do not move up(and are jealous of the ones who do) are the ones that have one years experience 10-20 times?
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that as 'experience' officials we need to give back to the game and take some of those lower level games as our own game deteriorates.

However, at some point the official must recognize that he is taking more from the game than he is giving back.

We all have to retire sometime and when I do, I want to be remembered for my great years, not when I can't get across halfcourt or I totally forget the concept of officiating like this one official has done.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

If the player went dove onto the floor to get the loose ball, forget about any movement while on the floor, and he got up with the ball, why is that not a travel?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:27am
In Memoriam

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by J Morrow on 01-03-2000 11:15 PM
If the player went dove onto the floor to get the loose ball, forget about any movement while on the floor, and he got up with the ball, why is that not a travel?

JM,
I don't think the post said he got up. If he did get up with the ball without dribbling, you are right ... it's a walk.
mick

Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J Morrow on 01-03-2000 11:15 PM

I never said that he got up, I said that he got the ball. If he got up without dribbling the ball then yes it would be a walk.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

It was not a travel, and let him know that there is a reason you are doing college games. GET WITH THE TIMES!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 01-05-2000 04:32 PM
It was not a travel, and let him know that there is a reason you are doing college games. GET WITH THE TIMES!!!!!

Kidkj,

We only heard what this guy saw. Has anyone wondered WHY he was watching 'outside' his coverage area? This is the first red flag!

This guy is upset that he's not 'one of the guys'. Has anyone wondered why? Maybe, it has nothing to do with working college! Red flag number two!

Officiating college doesn't automatically qualify a person as a 'superior' referee. Until an official works in the NCAA Division 1 Championship Tournament, we (or himself) should never consider them 'superior'. We have several 'college' guys that make me cringe when I see them work high school.

Did anyone besides myself realize that the 'college' official goes to the dressing room at halftime and he criticizes his partner for a 'missed' call. This guy doesn't show me the diplomacy that a 'superior' official should have shown. Doesn't it make sense to ask the partner what he 'saw' on the play and to make sure he understood the rule interpretation before telling him he 'missed' it? Red flag number three!!!

What if the calling official, with the angle HE had, had made the correct call? After all, we must admit, the original post only gave us the 'college' official's point-of-view? And his view was 'outside' his primary coverage area (or he would have over-ruled his partner). So we get his angle which evidently was a long way from the play. Another red flag!

I would love to hear the other's side on this story. I think there is more to it than what we have been told!!!!!!!!!

KDM

Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 12:08am
In Memoriam

Ken, why do you seem so upset?
It's one play.
mick

Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Smile

KDM
If your are working with an official no matter what the level, you both have the obligation to "Better" the game and that means striving to better yourself. How do we do that? By communication, by pregame, by postgame, by continually upgrading your skills. The old saying goes "you are only as GOOD as your last game or last call. We were not in the locker room and don't know how the statement was said. But i don't have a problem exchanging idea's or points of view with my fellow referees, i might not change my mind but we can still discuss it.

------------------
Don