Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-05-2000 10:54 PM
Kidkj,

We only heard what this guy saw. Has anyone wondered WHY he was watching 'outside' his coverage area? This is the first red flag!

This guy is upset that he's not 'one of the guys'. Has anyone wondered why? Maybe, it has nothing to do with working college! Red flag number two!

Officiating college doesn't automatically qualify a person as a 'superior' referee. Until an official works in the NCAA Division 1 Championship Tournament, we (or himself) should never consider them 'superior'. We have several 'college' guys that make me cringe when I see them work high school.

Did anyone besides myself realize that the 'college' official goes to the dressing room at halftime and he criticizes his partner for a 'missed' call. This guy doesn't show me the diplomacy that a 'superior' official should have shown. Doesn't it make sense to ask the partner what he 'saw' on the play and to make sure he understood the rule interpretation before telling him he 'missed' it? Red flag number three!!!

What if the calling official, with the angle HE had, had made the correct call? After all, we must admit, the original post only gave us the 'college' official's point-of-view? And his view was 'outside' his primary coverage area (or he would have over-ruled his partner). So we get his angle which evidently was a long way from the play. Another red flag!

I would love to hear the other's side on this story. I think there is more to it than what we have been told!!!!!!!!!

KDM

At no time did I ever say that I was a ref god because I do college ball, I was just stating what his response was to me. As far as where the call was and primary area, that was never talked about in the original post, when in fact the play happened in my primary, and he left his area to make the call. As to the 3rd thing about being a superior ref, I just asked him, why he had a travel, when in fact it is not a travel. I never belittle any offical, as a matter of fact, I try to get to my game early enough, so that if the refs working the game before mine would like some help or advise in the lockerroom, only when they ask me not just giving it to them, then I help them. Just giving back to the game that has treated me so well. I hope that helps you out, try not to be so hostile next time, and maybe you will be better preceived.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Dennis,

Because I offer a point of view that went against the opinions of the 'other' replys, does not mean that I'm a 'hostile' person. I evidently struck a nerve by offering a 'different' perspective. As far as being 'perceived' in a negative light, that doesn't bother me the least. Just look at all the responses that I DIDN'T get, maybe I have alot of QUIET people that are agreeing with my perspective!?!

In my response, I did NOT call you a "REF GOD". I don't know what that is anyway.

In my response, the official making the call outside his area is a fact that should have been mentioned in the original post. This is what I meant by 'there being more to it that what we were told'.

Since, NOW, we find out he made the call in your primary, why didn't you do the right thing and overrule his call? After all, he missed it, right? A brief discussion, maybe explaining the error to the coaches, and then you put the ball in play at the nearest out-of-bounds spot. Then you go ahead with the game, and you gain respect for making the right call.

In my response, in your original post you said you TOLD him 'you did not think it was a walk'. At no time was I led to believe (by your original post) that you 'ASKED' him why he had a walk. Again, NOW we find out that you asked. Another reason why I thought 'there being more to it than what we were told'.

In my response, I did NOT call you a superior official. Just working college doesn't make anyone superior (unless they work Div. 1 NCAA Championship Tournament) then I feel that they have crossed that line to supremacy. I was discussing officials in general and not you in particular.

While your original post was intended to display the response your partner gave you concerning working 'college' games, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for his behavior. If that is what he said, I do not condone it! But in appearance to me, your original post spent too much time talking about the 'old boys network' and you being a college official. I'm not for certain how you meant the 'old boys network' to be interpreted? Or your statement about 'hostilities' for being a college official?

I wonder .... what is being said behind your back by your 'old boys network'. On the same token, you have gone behind their back by coming to this site and negatively discussing them. Who is the winner in this scenario? Neither one of you. Its time to sit down with the leaders of your group for a man-to-man talk. With these hostilities and jealous behaviors, the losers are the kids who are caught in the middle by no fault of their own. The loser is the game of basketball, which obviously you love and all of us love so dearly. You and your group need to step-up and resolve the differences and learn from it. Do it today, not tomorrow, not next week!

KDM
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

And I worried my posts were long-winded.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-05-2000 10:54 PM
Kidkj,

We only heard what this guy saw. Has anyone wondered WHY he was watching 'outside' his coverage area? This is the first red flag!

This guy is upset that he's not 'one of the guys'. Has anyone wondered why? Maybe, it has nothing to do with working college! Red flag number two!

Officiating college doesn't automatically qualify a person as a 'superior' referee. Until an official works in the NCAA Division 1 Championship Tournament, we (or himself) should never consider them 'superior'. We have several 'college' guys that make me cringe when I see them work high school.

Did anyone besides myself realize that the 'college' official goes to the dressing room at halftime and he criticizes his partner for a 'missed' call. This guy doesn't show me the diplomacy that a 'superior' official should have shown. Doesn't it make sense to ask the partner what he 'saw' on the play and to make sure he understood the rule interpretation before telling him he 'missed' it? Red flag number three!!!

What if the calling official, with the angle HE had, had made the correct call? After all, we must admit, the original post only gave us the 'college' official's point-of-view? And his view was 'outside' his primary coverage area (or he would have over-ruled his partner). So we get his angle which evidently was a long way from the play. Another red flag!

I would love to hear the other's side on this story. I think there is more to it than what we have been told!!!!!!!!!

KDM

sounds like someone else has sour grapes!! thanks.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by KDM on 01-06-2000 07:57 AM
Dennis,

Since, NOW, we find out he made the call in your primary, why didn't you do the right thing and overrule his call? After all, he missed it, right? A brief discussion, maybe explaining the error to the coaches, and then you put the ball in play at the nearest out-of-bounds spot. Then you go ahead with the game, and you gain respect for making the right call.

"Over rule his call" That is basically an issue you discuss at halftime or after the game,not make it a bigger problem over a walk while on the floor. Dennis's co-official made two bad judgemnts that night , one he called in Dennis primary area, and two he tanked the call based on the description of the play.
Now let's all be good folks and start sharing toys again,no arguing OK!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Very entertaining guys. I usually watch the Jerry Springer show for confrontations of this nature.