The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Attending Camps Outside Of Your State (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2214-attending-camps-outside-your-state.html)

Love2ref4Ever Sun Apr 22, 2001 12:29pm

Is it a waste of time attending a camp outside of your state(unless you plan on relocating)If not,then what are the benefits?

JRutledge Sun Apr 22, 2001 01:11pm

College maybe.

What if a college camp is located outside of your state. There are conferences that are spread out over a couple of states. And if many of the schools are located in your state or reasonable driving distances, it might be of great benefit. But ultimately that is a person evaluation.

Quote:

Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Is it a waste of time attending a camp outside of your state(unless you plan on relocating)If not,then what are the benefits?

mick Sun Apr 22, 2001 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Love2,
The H.S. camp I attend is in Lower Michigan, and the evaluators there have nothing to do with the Upper Peninsula, but the camp is solid on Michigan mechanics and is "approved" by the State Association.
So, for me, it's almost like going to another state.
That said, as long as the rule books and the mechanics are the same for your state and the camp state, you can only gain experience and a whole lot of confidence by attending a camp.
My philosophy is "If you wonder if you need a camp, then go."
mick

[Edited by mick on Apr 26th, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

BOBBYMO Sun Apr 22, 2001 08:04pm

I dissagree with you on this one Mick

"My philosophy is "If you wonder, if you need a camp, then go". Mick I dissagree with you on this quote. I belive that in officating you should never stop learning and camps are a great way to learn and get feedback on your game. Camps outside of your own region or state can be a great learning tool for many of reasons. You have never worked too many games to keep learning and once you feel that you have nothing else to learn- it is time to get out. I feel that everybody should go to a camp at least every other year. It is a great way to learn and to keep up with new rules and make new contacts and friends.

mick Sun Apr 22, 2001 08:17pm

Am I missing something?

Quote:

Originally posted by BOBBYMO

"My philosophy is "If you wonder, if you need a camp, then go". Mick I dissagree with you on this quote. I belive that in officating you should never stop learning and camps are a great way to learn and get feedback on your game. Camps outside of your own region or state can be a great learning tool for many of reasons. You have never worked too many games to keep learning and once you feel that you have nothing else to learn- it is time to get out. I feel that everybody should go to a camp at least every other year. It is a great way to learn and to keep up with new rules and make new contacts and friends.

BOBBYMO,
You can disagree with me, if you like; but, I cannot disagree with you at all.
I was trying to point out <i>(and I must have failed)</i> that if you are even thinking about a camp, then "Just do it!" ;)
I should have left out a comma: "If you wonder if you need a camp, then go." Sorry. Mybad!

mick

[Edited by mick on Apr 22nd, 2001 at 08:20 PM]

BOBBYMO Sun Apr 22, 2001 11:39pm

NOW I AGREE MICK

MICK--- NOW I AGREE!!!

Kelly Kinghorn Thu Apr 26, 2001 03:41pm

My feeling about camps is---at first, go where you will get the best instruction. If that happens to be a camp in state, good for you, if not suck it up and go where it is. If you want to be the best, you have to learn from the best. Once you are ready to move up the officiating ladder, go to camps that will help you get to know the right people, and where they can see you work. That is going to be different in every state.

Too many people I know and that I have met, feel like "college camps" are better left until you are more advanced. I totally disagree. I stated going to college camps after my second year and wish I had gone before my first. The clinicians took me under their wings and really helped me to learn "good" habits instead of "bad" ones. My experience has only been positive at college camps.

I live in Utah and have been to camps in most of the western states. It costs money to go, but I have made it a practice to save my reffing money to pay for camps. I have never used any money that was not earned reffing to pay for these camps so it has nver felt like a pinch.

If you are wondering, I say go!