The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheryl P
Wow, for your first game sounds like you are doing ok. I am struggling. Have done 3 games this season and at least once in each game I have made an unsure call. I end up looking like an idiot and the coaches really start yelling then.

After coaching and playing the game the last 15 years I thought officiating would come fairly easily. I keep watching the Varsity games and just admiring the automation of their calls. How long does it take before things become a little more automatic????
When you're a veteran official.

Remember when you were a tot, and you took your first layup attempt? How long before your layups became automatic? In a way, it's the same here. The more you do games, the more automatic it becomes. Each person is different, so I can't tell you after the 50th game you'll do fine. But find as many games as you feel comfortable working, and keep looking at ways to improve. Keep looking through this site for hints (if you can stay away from the bickering...) There are probably some hints you can take from your playing and coaching days that will apply to officiating as well. You have a good basis to start from, in knowing the game, now it's just a matter of getting used to coming over after being a member of the dark side...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
How long does it take before things become a little more automatic????
Cheryl P,
Welcome to the forum.

Attending an Officials'Camp will boost your abilities and make your confidence soar.
Have fun with it.
mick
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Update

My first official game ever was in early September and tonight I'll do my 14th and 15th game (freshman & JV). Things are going pretty good and I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience. Travelling to different areas and seeing different schools is great. I hope the novelty never wears off.

I've been fortunate to work with some great guys so far (no female partners yet but next week I will). All very helpful and patient with a "rookie". I almost don't feel like a rookie anymore and am getting a firm grip on many of the signals and nuances that go with making the calls (or no-calls as the case may be).

Had a rough game about a month ago (I may have mentioned this here but don't recall). It was my first game that was tied in the last minute. Coach was already livid at me for ignoring her screaming for a timeout (I simply wasn't paying attention to her) then I called an illegal pick in the backcourt on her team (during a press) and sent the offended player to the line. After one free throw, the coach called me over and said "Um, what about the new team control rule". Ooops! Oh well, live and learn.

Otherwise, I haven't been too embarrassed. Some calls I wish I had back but I seem to be sure of myself on most. A tad clumsy at times explaining things to coaches but I'm getting the hang of "ref-speak" in a way that satisfies them. I suppose this just comes with experience.

One area I wish to improve in is slowing down my whistle on the shots from in or near the post. I think I've blown the whistle too quickly several times on the defense when they were arms straight up and it was the shooter that was bringing the contact (arms/hands) by moving forward. I know the defense isn't always innocent when they hold their "straight up" position and look at you quizzically but in retrospect, I know sometimes I blow it. Any suggestions on this situation?

Thanks
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:22pm
In Memoriam

Question Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
One area I wish to improve in is slowing down my whistle on the shots from in or near the post. I think I've blown the whistle too quickly several times on the defense when they were arms straight up and it was the shooter that was bringing the contact (arms/hands) by moving forward. I know the defense isn't always innocent when they hold their "straight up" position and look at you quizzically but in retrospect, I know sometimes I blow it. Any suggestions on this situation?
Rizzo21,
Glad yer having fun out East.

When the contact is close at hand, concentrate on the defender's action. If there is contact and the defender did nothing incorrectly, you will have your no-call, or team control foul.
Do you know the *term* for that concentration on the defender subsequent to contact?
mick

Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Rizzo21,
Glad yer having fun out East.

When the contact is close at hand, concentrate on the defender's action. If there is contact and the defender did nothing incorrectly, you will have your no-call, or team control foul.
Do you know the *term* for that concentration on the defender subsequent to contact?
mick

Catatonia?

Rizzo, sounds like you're having fun. Stick with it, you'll be anticipating coach's timeouts and making no calls & late calls with the best of them!
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

The term

I believe the phrase you might be refering to is "referee the defense".

One of my previous partners asked me had I ever done "X" school before. I told him no and he said "wait until you do"! Well, I did a doubleheader at school "X" last night and it was my most intense yet.

The freshman game was nuts. Lots of "officials" in the stands which are right on top of you and the home coach was crabbing from the opening tip. "Did you see the contact?", "Did you see the contact?" was all we heard. Yes, we saw contact but most of the time there was no advantage/disadvantage. Numerous times his girl would shoot from the post and, as I self-emphasized, I was "refereeing the defense" who were good about staying straight up. But every freaking time he wanted a foul...he had no clue!

Finally, it was tied with less than a minute and we went toe to toe about another no-call in the post. I demonstrated the defense's position and said no way is that a foul. I'm a patient guy and have maybe had a couple mild disputes with coaches and certainly never came close to whacking one. THIS guy was a sliver away in a TIE game with less than a minute! Fortunately, he backed down and I was able to resume my normal duties. It was actually kind of encouraged that I could stand up for my calls.

The second game was a bit better but it was a blowout. I could still hear the hecklers in the crowd but was also encouraged that I didn't care. I'm not saying I had my greatest night...I missed a few, was out of position a couple times but was happy that I could withstand that environment and, if assigned again there, would have no problem going back.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: The term

Quote:
The second game was a bit better but it was a blowout. I could still hear the hecklers in the crowd but was also encouraged that I didn't care. I'm not saying I had my greatest night...I missed a few, was out of position a couple times but was happy that I could withstand that environment and, if assigned again there, would have no problem going back.
2 Things. We have all missed a few here and there and realizing you may have missed one or two will only help you improve and become more confident with time. Secondly, sometimes a little wink to the hecklers will go a long way. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but there have been times where it has shut them up!
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Rizzo, IMO you took WAAAAYYY too much crap from the coach in that first game.

Do not let a coach ride you an entire game. The only acceptable answer to "DID YOU SEE THE CONTACT??!!!" is a calm but assertive "There was no contact coach". Do not let him complain again without at least a stern warning that everyone in the gym hears. Be prepared to take him as soon as he opens his mouth to gripe again.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
sometimes a little wink to the hecklers will go a long way
NO, NO, NO...I would not recommend this at all! Do not interact with the "hecklers" IMO...then they know they have your ol' rabbit ears. There's enough happening on the court to keep you busy...forget the hecklers. If it gets to bad, have game management handle it.

If you need a rule reference...just read this years POE 1.C. Pg. 69 of the NFHS Rule Book. "Officials should Never directly confront fans."

While your "wink" may not be a direct confrontation, it goes away from NFHS's general philosophy of interaction with fans.

Having said all that, sure there have been times when I have had fun with fans...but, it has been in rare situations and not in a hostile environment.
I guess you stated it wasn't for everyone ThickSkin...but, for a newer official, I wouldn't recommend it.

[Edited by RookieDude on Oct 21st, 2005 at 10:53 AM]
Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
sometimes a little wink to the hecklers will go a long way
NO, NO, NO...I would not recommend this at all! Do not interact with the "hecklers" IMO...then they know they have your ol' rabbit ears. There's enough happening on the court to keep you busy...forget the hecklers. If it gets to bad, have game management handle it.

I guess you stated it wasn't for everyone ThickSkin...but, for a newer official, I wouldn't recommend it.

Agree with that completely. Forget the crowd.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I keep watching the Varsity games
Excellent! Keep doing that.

Other things you can do to improve:

* Find yourself a big mirror, and get in front of it...put your whistle on and go through all the "Official NFHS Basketball Signals". (They are in the back of your Rules Book)

* Come up with a game situation in your head and call it in front of the mirror...watch your mechanics...do they look crisp? Get the muscle memory down, so you don't have to think about your movements when you see a foul or violation.

* Take your TIME! Don't be in a hurry out there. Come to a stop...then call your foul or violation...or call your foul or violation ...then come to a stop. Either way, Hold it, Hold it, Hold it.

* Don't be "walking and talking"...stop completly to make your signals and when you are reporting fouls.

* Get the whistle out of your mouth...don't be walking around like the whistle is your "pacifier". You will look weak, IMO, if you're walking around with the whistle in your mouth...especially if you're holding on to it with one hand. (Don't believe me? Check out a new official...the whistle stays in and the hand comes up to the mouth as they walk around during a dead ball)

That's just a few things to work on for now...now go get' um.

Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
I keep watching the Varsity games
Excellent! Keep doing that.

Other things you can do to improve:

* Find yourself a big mirror, and get in front of it...put your whistle on and go through all the "Official NFHS Basketball Signals". (They are in the back of your Rules Book)

* Come up with a game situation in your head and call it in front of the mirror...watch your mechanics...do they look crisp? Get the muscle memory down, so you don't have to think about your movements when you see a foul or violation.

* Take your TIME! Don't be in a hurry out there. Come to a stop...then call your foul or violation...or call your foul or violation ...then come to a stop. Either way, Hold it, Hold it, Hold it.

* Don't be "walking and talking"...stop completly to make your signals and when you are reporting fouls.

* Get the whistle out of your mouth...don't be walking around like the whistle is your "pacifier". You will look weak, IMO, if you're walking around with the whistle in your mouth...especially if you're holding on to it with one hand. (Don't believe me? Check out a new official...the whistle stays in and the hand comes up to the mouth as they walk around during a dead ball)

That's just a few things to work on for now...now go get' um.

All are very good recommendations. When I was first getting started, I was invited to a JV tournament put on by a school close to where I lived. The tournament served two purposes. It allowed the JV kids to get some games in but the main reason for the tournament was to pair up a veteran official with a young/new official. The entire game was recorded and after the game, the vetran official and the new official watched the game together and provided feedback to one another. It is probably the best learning tool out there for a new official. It is possible that if you worked with a veteran official that you would be able to obtain a copy of the game film and have him provide you with some feedback. Are there any other tournaments out there like this?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
[ The entire game was recorded and after the game, the vetran official and the new official watched the game together and provided feedback to one another. It is probably the best learning tool out there for a new official.
Yup, tape. Tape will help you improve faster than any other single factor. Tape yourself, go home and watch it. Now go to a varsity game and watch their mechanics and their judgment. Then go home and watch your own tape again. Great learning tool.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Hecklers

At the beginning of the game, there weren't a whole lot of people in the gym and there was one guy in the second row spouting quite a bit in the first quarter (my position as Trail was usually about 10 feet from him) and rabbit ears or not, anyone would hear him. Finally when he agreed with a call he stated "good call". As I inbounded the ball right next to his kneecaps, I had to mention, with a smile that "it's always a good call when it goes your way". We chuckled and he wasn't so verbal from then on.

When we came out for the second game and stood opposite the scorer's table during warmups, we were right in front of a group of the home fans that had been riding us earlier. They were making comments about us back and forth that I'm pretty sure we were meant to hear. Perhaps this was not according to Hoyle but I turned and smiled again and asked them if they were getting their money's worth. Most chuckled but one lady in particular went on and on about our calls (her team lost the freshman game) and we shouldn't even be paid, etc. etc. I had to bite my lip to keep from telling her we don't get paid enough to put up with people like her.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hecklers

Quote:

Most chuckled but one lady in particular went on and on about our calls (her team lost the freshman game) and we shouldn't even be paid, etc. etc.
And now you know why you need to always ignore all the fans.