The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
And...are the numbers 0 and 00?

Ok, anyway, the reason I asked is because if they were listed as identical numbers in the book, then yes, at the 10 minute mark it should be penalized. But the way the question is worded, it says, "he notices that A6 and A7 are wearing identical numbers". If that's the case, and the book looks ok, then I wouldn't penalize until the one with the number different than what's listed in the book comes into the game.
Of course, I am laughing at the 0 and 00 comment.

The rest of your thinking in the paragraph that follows is exactly backwards though.

NFHS penalizes the actual wearing of identical numbers right when it is discovered, even if the team members never enter the game. (3.2.2B is in the 04-05 book too. Good work, Bob.)
If something is incorrect in the book, that is penalized when the book NEEDS to be changed. So you have some leeway here.

As for #2:
Juggling Referee wrote, "I do not believe 3 shots can be awarded for a T. Fed: It specifically states that a T is 2 + possession + seatbelt. Some other tool must be used to give A the chance to win."
I agree with that.
Thanks for sharing IAABO's interp though, Chuck.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The rest of your thinking in the paragraph that follows is exactly backwards though.

NFHS penalizes the actual wearing of identical numbers right when it is discovered, even if the team members never enter the game. (3.2.2B is in the 04-05 book too. Good work, Bob.)
If something is incorrect in the book, that is penalized when the book NEEDS to be changed. So you have some leeway here.
.sdrawkcab m'I serugif tI

I guess where my confusion comes in is locally, we have several small schools with limited budgets. When these schools purchase new uniforms for the varsity squad, the JV and freshman players usually get the "hand-me-downs". There have been times where a player on the JV squad sits on the bench for the varsity game, and they have an identical uniform number to someone on the varsity team. The "accepted practice", or at least the way I had been taught, is to inform the other coach, (who never has a problem because they're from a small school as well), and make sure the table knows the difference between #23 the starter, and #23 with older uniform who won't get in until the game's outta control. With another coach that may not be as agreeable, we have said the "T" will only be assessed when the second player comes in. I've seen this more often on girls' teams, and I've never run across this specific problem with any larger school. Obviously that breeds bad habits, like thinking that duplicate numbers are ok, as long as they're not in the game together. That's where coming here helps to straighten me out and make me actually look at the rule, instead of just doing things as they've been done in the past.

Now, here's my question: let's say you move here and work with me on a game where this is an issue. Should we issue the "T" when we see the players warming up? There is no conference standard or rule in place, just "the way it's been done". Also, the individual schools hire the referees, not an assignor or conference supervisor, so there is no one person to go back to and inform that we should all penalize or not penalize accordingly. Should you and I start to enforce it tonight according to the rules, when we know the next game the standard goes back to the way it was? Should we penalize a team because the district doesn't have the funds to properly outfit all their teams?

Maybe there is no "right" answer, but I would be intersted in other opinions. But, at least I now know what the correct call is.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Do you enjoy working games at that small school? Do you wish to work there again?
If so, then don't screw it up.

Know what the real rule is, but also know when it is or isn't appropriate to enforce it.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Exact-a-mundo

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Do you enjoy working games at that small school? Do you wish to work there again?
If so, then don't screw it up.

Know what the real rule is, but also know when it is or isn't appropriate to enforce it.

The obvious reason that we don't allow duplicate numbers is so that the scorekeeper knows to whom fouls should be assessed and to whom scores should be credited.

If neither coach cares and the score keepers have got things under control, why do I care? Smile and move along. "Coach, just don't have them in the game at the same time."