The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

okay I know i am a coach and i should stay out of you officials and your discussions but here is a question-- did you notice more teams are using the time to get a replacement into the game as a timeout?? will not this lead to longer games or do i worry about the little things to much, and also in the movie Hoosiers he never replaced a disqualified player "my team is on the floor" does he have to if he has avaialable players? just a thought thanks
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
okay I know i am a coach and i should stay out of you officials and your discussions but here is a question-- did you notice more teams are using the time to get a replacement into the game as a timeout?? will not this lead to longer games or do i worry about the little things to much,
The head coach has 30 seconds to replace an injured, diqualified, or improperly equipped player. If he chooses to use that 30 seconds as a many TO, there's nothing that can be done about it. I really don't think there's much danger of the game being prolonged excessively due to such practices.

Quote:
and also in the movie Hoosiers he never replaced a disqualified player "my team is on the floor" does he have to if he has available players? just a thought thanks
No, he must have 5 players on the floor if 5 are available. However, the rule may have been different in 1951. Maybe mick can tell us!

BTW, you're always welcome, even if you are "one of them."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 10:30pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
okay I know i am a coach and i should stay out of you officials and your discussions but here is a question-- did you notice more teams are using the time to get a replacement into the game as a timeout?? will not this lead to longer games or do i worry about the little things to much, and also in the movie Hoosiers he never replaced a disqualified player "my team is on the floor" does he have to if he has avaialable players? just a thought thanks
rocky,
First and foremost, you are welcome here as a Coach, player or a fan. So keep on reading, asking and answering where you see fit.
Coaches get 30 seconds to replace a player and how they utilize that time is their business because there is no rule against having a team meeting, or going to the concession stand, as long as the team is ready to play in the allotted time.
Current rules require playing with five players, if available. I do not know what the rules were back when....
mick
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 10:32pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up ya got me!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
However, the rule may have been different in 1951. Maybe mick can tell us!
Tony,
You're up past your bedtime.
mick
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't even a twinkle in 1951, but....

A missing comment above is the DQ player must leave the game. If the coach has 5 players available then I assume 5 must play. If another player is not available then the team plays with 4 (or 3, or 2...).

Never trust Hollywood....
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

If the 5th player is injured and has to come out of the game for stoppage of play, is there any special rule that applies?
Old Tue Apr 17, 2001, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Try Rule 3-1-1

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachB
If the 5th player is injured and has to come out of the game for stoppage of play, is there any special rule that applies?
CoachB,
The book isn't clear, but this is one way to go for an answer.
3-1-1: ... If it (team) has no substitutes to replace a disqualified or injured player, it must continue with fewer than five.
Then go to 3-3-4. That player, if able to return, must wait for at next opportunity after the clock has started following the players replacement.

Ya see? It becomes a gray area when one of five available gets hurt. At least I think it is undefined.

So, what I have, based on my limited knowledge, is injured player is removed; play continues 4-on-5 until next dead ball for injured/patched-up player to re-enter, or not.

mick
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 10:04am
Suppref

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
rocky,
First and foremost, you are welcome here as a Coach, player or a fan. So keep on reading, asking and answering where you see fit.
Coaches get 30 seconds to replace a player and how they utilize that time is their business because there is no rule against having a team meeting, or going to the concession stand, as long as the team is ready to play in the allotted time.
Current rules require playing with five players, if available. I do not know what the rules were back when....
mick
If the player reports to the table after 5 seconds then play must resume at that time. Rocky, I learned that on this forum, welcome aboard.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 10:37am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Good point!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:
If the player reports to the table after 5 seconds then play must resume at that time. Rocky, I learned that on this forum, welcome aboard.

Good call, Suppref!
mick
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:
In other words, as soon as the sub reports play resumes
regardless of how much of the 30 seconds the coach has used.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yupper!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Dan,
But generally, very generally, we have to allow time for some coaches to perform their theatrical pacing and scowling.
As soon as the 4th foul is called, most coaches already have a plan.
mick
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Yupper!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Dan,
But generally, very generally, we have to allow time for some coaches to perform their theatrical pacing and scowling.
As soon as the 4th foul is called, most coaches already have a plan.
mick
Agreed. Don't you love it when the coach has to actually
grab the kid to stop him from running to the table so he
can do his little war dance?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This subject came up because of the announcers Dick Enberg and Bill Walton beat it to death in the Arizona-Michigan State.
Neither coach abused the rule--only acted within that allowed i.e. to talk to the players until they "had" to replace the player.
To be technical, legalistic, i.e. strictly by the book, the player must be replaced within 30 seconds. Therefore, if the warning horn goes off and the player has not reported to the table, then a technical foul should be called.
However, if my 26 years I only called one tech, in this case on a coach who was never going to put a player in until I told him so. Since it is not my responsibility to remind him of the rule, he got the 'T'.
But this would be an exception to the rule.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

okay -- i know i am in the minority in this one , and agree with all of you . the act coaches put on not only embarasses the kid who just fouled out but also eggs on the crowd. I replace the kid as soon as i can in hopes the crowd doesnt realize a kid fouled out. I wish some officials would cut some of the coaches antics down --T them early and shut them up!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2001, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Agreed. Don't you love it when the coach has to actually
grab the kid to stop him from running to the table so he
can do his little war dance? [/B]
I love the long stare and act like a statue, when they act like they can't hear you.