The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by womens_hoops
Do you know of any examples of refs who moved up from the WNBA to the NBA? I think Violet Palmer did, but that's the only one I can think of...
Bill Kennedy, Matthew Boland, Michael Henderson, Tony Brown, Derrick Collins, Ed Malloy, Courtney Kirkland, Pat Fraher, Ed Malloy, and Jason Phillips all officiated in the WNBA prior to moving to the NBA. If you want to know who maybe next, watch the WNBA Finals. Most, if not all these officials worked the Finals.

Joe DeRosa worked D1 men's, not women's. He only worked college for three years before being picked up by the NBA.

And yes, D1 men's officials defintely receive a higher game fee than D1 women's officials.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
And yes, D1 men's officials defintely receive a higher game fee than D1 women's officials.
Can you give me a rough sense of what the difference is?

thanks a ton for the response!
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

That might vary based on conference, but the conferences in the Midwest get paid the exact same in each Men's and Women's basketball.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

That might vary based on conference, but the conferences in the Midwest get paid the exact same in each Men's and Women's basketball.

Peace
I thought it was the exact same also, but am no expert on the subject.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is the exact same. I have had D1 officials use the line, "you get paid the same" as a justification to work Women's college basketball. I know all the JUCO and D3 and two games are paid the same. I realize D1 is a completely different issue, but from the officials I know, they make the exact same in travel and game fee based on where they live and their expenses.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 07:55pm
9 times

Quote:
Quote:
Do you know of any examples of refs who moved up from the WNBA to the NBA? I think Violet Palmer did, but that's the only one I can think of...
Bill Kennedy, Matthew Boland, Michael Henderson, Tony Brown, Derrick Collins, Ed Malloy, Courtney Kirkland, Pat Fraher, Ed Malloy, and Jason Phillips all officiated in the WNBA prior to moving to the NBA. If you want to know who maybe next, watch the WNBA Finals. Most, if not all these officials worked the Finals.

Joe DeRosa worked D1 men's, not women's. He only worked college for three years before being picked up by the NBA.

Gary Zielinski also worked the WNBA before he got his job in the NBA.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

The title and jist of this thread is:

Women's Basketball . . .

My question would be:

Who would want to referee games of the high school level if you were good enough to work college basketball?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Tommy Nunez Jr worked WNBA as well.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Can you give me a rough sense of what the difference is?

thanks a ton for the response!
In some conferences, the fee is the same, in other conferences if isn't. I have a friend that I got into basketball officiating about 15 years ago. He camped his butt off and works some mid-major women's conferences now. He tells me that some of the conferences pay up to 50% more for men's games. That's based on what he makes versus what some friends in the men's program have told him. I have no reason to doubt him.

And yes, BZ and stripes are both correct. Both Nunez Jr. and Zielinski both worked WNBA.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
... works some mid-major women's conferences now. He tells me that some of the conferences pay up to 50% more for men's games. That's based on what he makes versus what some friends in the men's program have told him. I have no reason to doubt him.
I've heard the same thing.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 10:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Women's Basketball . . .

My question would be:

Who would want to referee games of the high school level if you were good enough to work college basketball?
Unless someone is working a very high level of D1 games, it would be unlikely that most officials would be capable to work only college basketball. Even many D1 officials work high school games and they have to fill out their schedule with D3 and JUCO games to complete their schedule. Also many college games are not played on the same nights as HS basketball games. I guess it could be done, but they would work might be lucky if they worked a 3rd of their entire schedule trying to only work college basketball. In my area there are not as many colleges or games available.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 19, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Women's Basketball . . .

My question would be:

People who have limitations other than ability. Family or Job requirements have a higher priority for some and may dictate which level of ball they want to work. The higher the level of ball, the more travel and the more time away from your family and job. If were to work college ball, I'd see me kids even less than I do now and I'd probably lose my job.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 06:12am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure about Bill Kennedy? I know he broke into the NBA as a scab official and stuck. He did work in the CBA. He used to work at a skating rink on Sundays while he was in the CBA.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure about Bill Kennedy? I know he broke into the NBA as a scab official and stuck. He did work in the CBA. He used to work at a skating rink on Sundays while he was in the CBA.
I thought his name was Benedict Kennedy...
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I have a friend that I got into basketball officiating about 15 years ago. He camped his butt off and works some mid-major women's conferences now. He tells me that some of the conferences pay up to 50% more for men's games. That's based on what he makes versus what some friends in the men's program have told him.
Is it possible that the difference in fee is not b/c of the gender of games, but b/c of the "tiered" pay scale in many D1 conferences?

What I mean is, maybe it's not 50% more for men's games than women's games; maybe it's 50% more for a 5th year official in the conference than for a 1st year official in the conference.