The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I've never personally used it but I still find it hilarious: "I'll take that from Batman, but I'm sure not taking it from Robin. Sit down and be quiet!"
The proper use for comments like this are to think them in your head, and then use the inner chuckle to keep your perspective on the game. I find that a very helpful tool!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Bad Zebra
When someone is camping in the paint...I'll just start counting out loud..."One!"..."Two!"....they're almost always gone by three and they usually stay out.
What do you do if you get to "three" and they're still in there?
LOL!

Do you continue to count to 4 and 5 and beyond?
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

To an assistant coach who wants a call: " "

Yep, you can choose to not reply and say nothing...

Or "assistant coach, please coach your players" or "coach, what is your number and I will call you"
When the assistant in chirping, I'll say to the head coach, "Coach, your assistant is about to buy you a seat." That has always stopped it.

I've never personally used it but I still find it hilarious: "I'll take that from Batman, but I'm sure not taking it from Robin. Sit down and be quiet!"

Mregor
Funny, yet I would stop speaking after the word Robin.

I was told over and over again, try not to be vindictive and or make disrespectful comments such as; "sit down and shut up", when replying to coaches.

Since a single or double pre-game conference should have addressed any warnings, an assistant coach berating an official would land him/her a technical and the head coach receives an indirect.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
To a coach who's not very happy about a call: "What did you see coach"? You can then respond with "I didn't see it that way" or "I'll work harder". (can't say that more than once)

What question does the coach normally ask in this situation? We cannot respond to every comment. Also, that is too much back and forth for me.

The head coach will normally ask a zillion questions or make statements during live ball or dead ball action.

I do not think ChrisSportsFan was implying that an official should reply back and forth to a coach with a lengthy dialogue.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
To a coach who's not very happy about a call: "What did you see coach"? You can then respond with "I didn't see it that way" or "I'll work harder". (can't say that more than once)

What question does the coach normally ask in this situation? We cannot respond to every comment. Also, that is too much back and forth for me.

The head coach will normally ask a zillion questions or make statements during live ball or dead ball action.

I do not think ChrisSportsFan was implying that an official should reply back and forth to a coach with a lengthy dialogue.
Your thinking is correct.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Something I hear a lot, and works well: "That's enough, coach."

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Some of the best advice I have gotten about addressing coach comments/questions I heard from former NBA ref Nolan Fine. He suggested addressing the coaches with questions. Things like, "How did you see it, coach?" One of the best I have used is "What do you mean by that?" when a coach is commenting about an uneven foul count. The question usually forces a coach to stop for a second and allows you the chance to respond differently. A coaches first comment or question can be very confrontational in tone, if you can get him or her to rephrase, it can lead to a better dialogue. Plus, responding with a question usually buys you some time. I have found that a good answer is usually "I understand." or, "I see where you are coming from." It acknowledges the concern, but doesn't commit to anything.

Bottom line-- most coaches want, and deserve, some type of response, since no one wants to be ignored. The trick is in knowing the appropriate response.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

3 Second : "Outtas the lane", "Outta the Lane"
Close guarding: "Hands, Hands...Watch the Hands"
Rough Play: 'Easy, Easy"...."Knock it off"
Back at Coach: "Got it , Thank you"

All short and sweet
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Some of the best advice I have gotten about addressing coach comments/questions I heard from former NBA ref Nolan Fine. He suggested addressing the coaches with questions. Things like, "How did you see it, coach?" One of the best I have used is "What do you mean by that?" when a coach is commenting about an uneven foul count. The question usually forces a coach to stop for a second and allows you the chance to respond differently. A coaches first comment or question can be very confrontational in tone, if you can get him or her to rephrase, it can lead to a better dialogue. Plus, responding with a question usually buys you some time. I have found that a good answer is usually "I understand." or, "I see where you are coming from." It acknowledges the concern, but doesn't commit to anything.

Bottom line-- most coaches want, and deserve, some type of response, since no one wants to be ignored. The trick is in knowing the appropriate response.
Just curious, what camp did you hear Nolan talk at? I have heard him speak, I understand he speaks at a couple of camps.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Very good advice!
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Snake-

I heard Nolan speak at the D3 Supercamp at the University of Richmond. He is from the area, so he is a regular there. He stayed around for a few days, and it was good to be able not only to hear him speak, but to hang out a bit as well.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Snake-

I heard Nolan speak at the D3 Supercamp at the University of Richmond. He is from the area, so he is a regular there. He stayed around for a few days, and it was good to be able not only to hear him speak, but to hang out a bit as well.
That's where I had figured you heard him speak, I enjoyed hearing him speak and look forward to talking to him again. I think I will go to D3 next year but we'll see what happens.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I didnt read all of the replies....( but I'm being lazy today, forgive me ) so perhaps another has mentioned this....

From my experience, when you are talking to players during the game while the ball is live.....using one word followed with your whistle if needed is a great option.

" Lane " - " hands " - " EASY! " ( post play )

One reason this option works well is you avoid the potential " must whistle " between words

One of my personal favorites is prior to throw in and things are getting testy......hold onto the ball and look at the players with a smile and a " what the heck are you two doing? " look..... hahha..... but the situation must be appropriate.

my 2 cents
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 09:24am
9 times

Savaahn,

Hey, its Kelly. Back in Utah and doing well. Hope all is the same for you in Phoenix. Email me and let me know what is up.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019