The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Useful Phrases (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21663-useful-phrases.html)

aussie_ref Mon Aug 08, 2005 04:44am

Anybody got some useful phrases for me to use while refereeing this might sound like a stupid thread but i'd like to hear what other referees say,
Eg
In and out - Trying to get player to exit the key
Keep it clean - can be used for many situations such as screening, player on the floor.
Stay, walk away, kept out, back off - Stopping a fight
I'll call the fouls you worry about the game - When a players questioning about you calling fouls.

ETC ETC ETC

tomegun Mon Aug 08, 2005 07:39am

For the most part you should find language and sayings that fit your personality.

Ultimately, there will come a time when all you should be saying is "tweet!"

mick Mon Aug 08, 2005 07:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
For the most part you should find language and sayings that fit your personality.

Good call, Tom.

South GA BBall Ref Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:18am

Never used it , but here's one: "Shut Up, Play Ball, & Let The Ref's Make The Calls"

Thought I'd add a lil humor.

lrpalmer3 Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:35am

Quote:

I thought that some supervisor's like for you to talk players out of fouls and violations. Nobody wants to interrupt the game with a 3-second violation.

Jurassic Referee Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Never used it , but here's one: "<font color = red>Shut Up</font>, Play Ball, & Let The Ref's Make The Calls"

Thought I'd add a lil humor.

Glad you're only kidding.

Saying "shut up" to <b>anybody</b> is just asking for trouble.

tomegun Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:

I thought that some supervisor's like for you to talk players out of fouls and violations. Nobody wants to interrupt the game with a 3-second violation.

OK, substitute "ultimately" with "eventually." You can't talk all game.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:32am

To a coach who's not very happy about a call: "What did you see coach"? You can then respond with "I didn't see it that way" or "I'll work harder". (can't say that more than once)

To players wrestling on the floor for a loose ball and now you have a held ball: "easy up, let it go, I'm here"

To your partners when a player is complaining about calls: "#31 (#31 can also hear this) has been complaining about calls and I told him I'd watch, but he won't let it go so if he complains again, we gotta git-em".

To an assistant coach who wants a call: " "

To you partners just before tip: "Let's work hard and have some fun".

johnny1784 Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by aussie_ref
Anybody got some useful phrases for me to use while refereeing this might sound like a stupid thread but i'd like to hear what other referees say,
Eg
In and out - Trying to get player to exit the key
Keep it clean - can be used for many situations such as screening, player on the floor.
Stay, walk away, kept out, back off - Stopping a fight
I'll call the fouls you worry about the game - When a players questioning about you calling fouls.

ETC ETC ETC

Comment: "That was a foul!"
Short reply: "That was not a bird." or "Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?" {answer: he/she heard the referees calling fowls}

Comment: "Did you see that?"
Short reply: "Sorry, I wasn't looking over there, I had off-ball."

Situation: Roughness in the post or rough play
Short reply: "keep your hands off" or "Captains, control your team." or "let's play without the rough contact."

Situation: In the key too long
Short reply: "Please get out of the key."

Most of all use respectful short replies that resemble who you are professionally.

johnny1784 Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

To an assistant coach who wants a call: " "

Yep, you can choose to not reply and say nothing...

Or "assistant coach, please coach your players" or "coach, what is your number and I will call you"

rainmaker Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:48am

Here's what works for me.

To the players:

"Hands!"
"Clear the key!"
"We'll watch for it"
"Tweet!!"

To the coaches:

"She didn't have legal guarding position"
"Thank you!"
"We're watching"
"Coach, your assistant needs to stay quiet and on the bench"
"Remember the box"

Absolutely dry. No sarcasm or irony at all. None. It always comes back to bite the butt later.

Jurassic Referee Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49am

Quote:

To a coach who's not very happy about a call: "What did you see coach"? You can then respond with "I didn't see it that way" or <font color = red>"I'll work harder"</font>. (can't say that more than once)

Personally, I'd keep away from that one. It's kinda intimating to the coach that you <b>haven't</b> been working "hard" so far in that game.

ChuckElias Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:07am

For guard play, I say "No hands" or "Hands off".
For post play, I say, "Straight up", "Get the arm off" or "Get the leg out".
To clear the lane, I say, "Clear!" or "Get out".

My response to an assistant coach is always made to the head coach. "Coach, your assistant is about to lose you the coaching box."

ChrisSportsFan Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

To a coach who's not very happy about a call: "What did you see coach"? You can then respond with "I didn't see it that way" or <font color = red>"I'll work harder"</font>. (can't say that more than once)

Personally, I'd keep away from that one. It's kinda intimating to the coach that you <b>haven't</b> been working "hard" so far in that game.

I hear what you're saying but I'm already working hard and the coach knows it. He's just fighting or begging for a call. For some guys, maybe it would be better to say "I'll watch".

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:35pm

"Stay legal."

For those lurking, notice that of all the suggestions, the official never centered out the player (s)he is talking to.

The official never says, "#32, get out of the key," or "#5, hands off the dribbler."

Having said that I have used a number specifically, but only in the rarest of times.

And when addressing during FTs, I also never use numbers. I address both teams and let them figure out who I am talking to. Usually the guilty party is aware of what he is doing. The smart players will come up to you in person and ask what is it that they're doing wrong.