The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

>>b/c you gave him a smart*** answer<<

Can you show me the smart*** answer, because I don't see it.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
Deecee - I believe once the ball is touched inbounds by any player then the right to run the endline is over . I don't believe there is anything that says control....
The only way to retain the running of the endline is to have a violation (Kicked ball) or if the defense fouls before the ball is touched .

If I am wrong about the control (And as soon as I leave work I will check it out) then I just learned something and will consider this a good day

[Edited by WeekendRef on Aug 4th, 2005 at 04:51 PM]
Would it be more proper to say that if the throw-in ends because of a foul or violation, and the resulting throw-in will be on the endline, that the right to run is retained?

Thus if a kick ends the throw-in, the right is retained. If a foul ends the throw-in, the right is retained. If the throw-in ends via a touch, then a foul or violation occurs, the right is lost.

Agree...legal touch inbounds and the throwin is over...no baseline run for any infraction that follows.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Dan and Jurassic, I don't think Chuck asked for examples. [/B]
Tom, to be quite honest, I really don't give a damn what you think.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

found the wording in the rule book

page 50
7-5 art. 7 -- ...After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A tem retains this privilege if the soring team commits a violation or common foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.

I looked in the case book and it doesnt cover any specif case where the pass was made and at almost the same time as the offense gains possesion there is a foul on the defense.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:59pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Dan and Jurassic, I don't think Chuck asked for examples.
Tom, to be quite honest, I really don't give a damn what you think. [/B]
After seeing the childish way Dan has to continue with this in another thread I didn't think neither one of you cared.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: i said

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
once clear possesion has been made by the offensive player catching the ball then its a spot throw in --

what would you call during a throw in Defender B1 and A1 go for the ball -- as B1 reaches for the ball which A1 just grabbed B1 fouls A1 with a hold -- almost simultaneous to catching the ball but probably a split second after the catch was made -- both feet were on the ground so noone is even airborne. Cleary the offensive player -- by a hair has possesion in bounds -- do you:

a) go spot throw in on the baseline
b) give the offensive team the baseline
He doesn't have to have possession. The throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched inbounds. Once the throw-in ends, the right to run the endline is gone if a violation or foul occurs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After seeing the childish way Dan has to continue with this in another thread I didn't think neither one of you cared. [/B]
Whointhehell are you to tell Dan, or anyone for that matter, that they can't be childish?

I really don't damn well care what you think, Tom. It ain't your job to tell me what I can post- ever. If you have a problem with a post of mine, then e-mail a complaint to a moderator. That's their job- not your's. I don't remember seeing a notice appointing you the board censor.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:13am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After seeing the childish way Dan has to continue with this in another thread I didn't think neither one of you cared.
Whointhehell are you to tell Dan, or anyone for that matter, that they can't be childish?

I really don't damn well care what you think, Tom. It ain't your job to tell me what I can post- ever. If you have a problem with a post of mine, then e-mail a complaint to a moderator. That's their job- not your's. I don't remember seeing a notice appointing you the board censor. [/B]
Jurassic, I'm OK with everything you are saying.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:45am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
[/B]
Jurassic, I'm OK with everything you are saying. [/B][/QUOTE]Cool, Tom. I may not agree with your posts sometimes either, but I sureashell respect your right to make them.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 05:35am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Quote:
Jurassic, I'm OK with everything you are saying. [/B]
Cool, Tom. I may not agree with your posts sometimes either, but I sureashell respect your right to make them. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with that too but we aren't talking about basketball posts. We are talking about comments that could offend someone. Anyway...the whole freedom of speech thing.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
At half time the "ref" proceeds to demonstrate physically where the ball is taken out on the endline when a foul or violation is committed and backs this up by saying "All fouls committed inside the arc and below the foul line are taken out on the endline" . I just smile and tell him that statement is incorrect and I have the rule book in my car and we can look at it after the game .
If I am reading this correctly "the ref" was right here too...Not any violation or foul that occurs inside the 3 point line and below the free-throw line extended consists of a throw in from the near point, but the ones inside the imaginary trapezoid (which is from the free throw line extended to the corner...will be on the baseline

[Edited by joseph2493 on Aug 5th, 2005 at 11:04 AM]
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
Any violation or foul that occurs inside the 3 point line and below the free-throw line extended consists of a throw in from the near point...which is on the baseline
Oooooo, so close, but I'm afraid that's not the correct answer. Slappy, what will Joseph be taking home as a consolation prize?!?!
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
Any violation or foul that occurs inside the 3 point line and below the free-throw line extended consists of a throw in from the near point...which is on the baseline
Oooooo, so close, but I'm afraid that's not the correct answer. Slappy, what will Joseph be taking home as a consolation prize?!?!
A dead parrot?

You can't return 'em.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
A dead parrot?

You can't return 'em.
But look at the plumage!! Lovely plumage, eh?
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
A dead parrot?

You can't return 'em.
But look at the plumage!! Lovely plumage, eh?
He's not dead, he's...stunned.

(...sniff) I can't believe the (...sniff...) love flowing around this place now. It's beautiful, man. My screen is so sparkling clean after wiping off my tears (...sniff, sniff...).

Ok, I'm over it. Now, there's already been discussions over the plays themselves, but there's one point that seemed kinda missing: where's Gen. Otis T. Whackenator? Why wasn't this guy given the T at the first hint of a complaint? Maybe my tolerance level is low compared to some for men's rec league games, but I think this guy used up all his "benefit of the doubt" points the second he made his comment. Any remarks made after that should've earned him a T. Even if this guy is more experienced than WeekendRef, there are 101 better ways to help him out rather than trying to show his "superiority" during the game. Let's even say Weekend was wrong on both plays. I still don't think that allows the "ref" to act the way he did. We wouldn't allow that behavior in a higher level game - whay would it be allowed here, ESPECIALLY from someone who should know better?

(Used with permission.)