The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

I always hear speakers say don't put officiating first, it may be addicting but you need to put your family and job(am i forgetting one?) first as they are more important. As others said just tell the assignor the truth. Good luck with your season.

For some reason it seems like a high amount of officials who officiated NBA/D1 basketball that I talk to have been or are divorced.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I always hear speakers say don't put officiating first, it may be addicting but you need to put your family and job(am i forgetting one?) first as they are more important. As others said just tell the assignor the truth. Good luck with your season.

For some reason it seems like a high amount of officials who officiated NBA/D1 basketball that I talk to have been or are divorced.
And faith...

My two sense!
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 06:33am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Don't over-generalize, Snake-eyes. I was divorced many years prior to officiating. However, I do limit my officiating to 3 games per week and an occasional 4, because it is better for family life and it is an AVOCATION, not a VOCATION. [And when doing AAU, certainly not a VACATION.]
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

TMP!

Congratulations on the contract!. I know its something you were working for.....All of us in your HS/Summer baseball chapter are proud of you..... Dont think for a minute that those opportunities will not come again......they will.

To those on this board....I would like you to know that Todd may be only 22 but has a bright future not only in sports officiating but life in general. In the few years I have been associated with Todd, I can tell you he has earned his high ranking in our association with his on field professionalism, rules knowledge and game management far beyond his years of experience.

I know when I when I have a game with Todd as my partner that we are going to deliver a quality product.....

On the field Todd delivers with a polished appearance, a wealth of rules knowledge, the proper mechanics and a love and respect of the game........I'm positive he brings all this to your court as well....

As an officer in our baseball chapter, I often look around at the grey hair that fills out the membership roll......at 44, I am in the younger group!!

A lot of times we ask ourselves who will umpire when we all are gone......Recruiting is always an issue for a baseball chapter.... Its good to have Todd in our association and know that the future of umpiring is in good hands......

Best of luck Todd...........not that you need luck.......your hard work and determination has gotten you every where you ever wanted to go........

Let me know what I can do to help you partner........

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations

Todd-

I am a lawyer/ref. Please feel free to send me an e-mail message ([email protected]). Although some of the "congratulations" can go toward your law school admission, most of the congratulations you deserve are for being the kind of person that prompts people like piaa_ump to say the things s/he said. Kudos.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:57am
Ref Ump Welsch

We have a football official who works the Big XII (and also has worked a couple seasons in NFL Europe) who's also one of the top attorneys here in Omaha. Of course, he's also a former Nebraska Cornhusker quarterback.