The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I had a camp for a JUCO/DIII association last month, and after not having a very good camp (at least in my mind), I figured that getting a contract was out of the question. Well, lo and behold, what came in the mail yesterday? You got it, the contract...due by August 8.

All fine and dandy, right? WRONG..and here's where I need help from the crowd. I start Law School in the fall, which is going to be very trying in itself, let alone having a full varsity and partial college schedule on top of it. I already know that I'm going to have to cut down on my varsity games this year, but now with this added on, I don't know what to do. I don't want to not take the contract because I know, as well as probably everyone else here, if I turn it down, it will never come again, no matter how good of camps I have in the future. Further, because the college assignor is also one of my 4 varsity assignors, it will probably hurt my varsity schedule as well.

But that all being said, there is just no way that I can afford to screw up my first year of Law School--I'm sunk if I do. The assignor and the officers of the association know my situation, but it still doesn't make it any easier to either 1) not sign the contract or 2) sign it, but probably have to turn down games (both Var. and college) later. My grades last year (senior year undergrad) suffered a little because of me taking on too much, and now everyone is warning me not to let it happen again, especially my parents. I'm only 22 years old, so I have my entire life ahead of me to officiate and practice law, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

I'm like everyone else here, I'm addicted to this stuff; as the slogan from MLB says, I live for this. And of course getting hired, whether first time by a JUCO/DIII or that big time DI is what all of us dream about. What should I do? Help guys, please!
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Be honest with your assignor. I am sure they will understand if you cannot work games at certain times or places. Also, if you know what your schedule is going to be like months in advance, you can prepare to work around that schedule if you choose to do both. I really think it is about choices. You should do what is going to be best for you in the long run. I am not saying to give up officiating basketball, but you have to decide what is more important right now. Going to Law school is a life long accomplishment if you finish. You will have many opportunities officiating. Law School is just a short period of time in your life; you have the rest of your life to officiate. Now I do not know how old you are and that would also be a factor in what I would personally do, but it would only be a small factor. If you feel you cannot do both just talk to the assignor. If you think you can do both, just organize your life to make it work. There is no right or wrong here. I do not know what kind of skills you have juggling many things in your life. You might be perfectly able to do both and you might not be able to do both. I think you just have to decide what is more important to you.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call the assignor and try to work something out - either put off the contract for a year, or find some way to limit the number of games (HS and college) that you do.

I just graduated as well, and my involvement in officiating my senior year definately dragged down my GPA and is (a small) part of the reason why I didn't get into medical schools.

Obviously, it's your decision in the end, but a law degree only takes three years, and then you can practice for the rest of your life. Also, it may be as difficult to get re-admitted to law school as to get another contract.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Be honest with your assignor. I am sure they will understand if you cannot work games at certain times or places. Also, if you know what your schedule is going to be like months in advance, you can prepare to work around that schedule if you choose to do both. I really think it is about choices. You should do what is going to be best for you in the long run. I am not saying to give up officiating basketball, but you have to decide what is more important right now. Going to Law school is a life long accomplishment if you finish. You will have many opportunities officiating. Law School is just a short period of time in your life; you have the rest of your life to officiate. Now I do not know how old you are and that would also be a factor in what I would personally do, but it would only be a small factor. If you feel you cannot do both just talk to the assignor. If you think you can do both, just organize your life to make it work. There is no right or wrong here. I do not know what kind of skills you have juggling many things in your life. You might be perfectly able to do both and you might not be able to do both. I think you just have to decide what is more important to you.

Peace
I agree with Jeff totally. Be honest, tell this man your schedule, let him know you are interested but you are at a part of your life where you will have to juggle both.

Any person should understand that you are in school and your officiating career can be put on hold.

But try to work with him.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:50pm
9 times

Honesty is always the best policy, but you also need to decide what is the most important, law school or reffing? For me it would be a no-brainer, but I cannot decide for you.

Let the assignor know what your potential limitations for your schedule are...the assignor is likely to be understanding.

Good luck.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

If your assignor is understanding, he'll congratulate you on getting accepted to law school and work with you. If he's not, just tell him you'll be suing him in a few years.

Z
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Further, because the college assignor is also one of my 4 varsity assignors, it will probably hurt my varsity schedule as well.
This is what jumps out at me. If you have 4 assignors, I'd look at dropping some of the other three. That way, you're only dealing with one or two people. Things should be more manageable with fewer parties involved. You would also leave your options open with your college assignor.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 05:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wow. An official AND a lawyer. I am just letting my imagination run wild.

All of the above gave good advice...being honest will carry you a lot further in the respect department.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:26pm
Official & Member

Ask yourself this question: "Which of these two activites is more likely to affect my life in a positive way?". Be honest. Let the answer guide your actions. Congrats and good luck!
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Do you know anyone who's a lawyer and also a ref? That person may have some idea of how the juggling act will go, even if he/she didn't do law school and D3 at the same time. It's also possible that there is a D3 or D2 ref around your area who's also a lawyer, but you haven't met him or her, because he/she is generally higher than you on the ladder. The D3 assignor would have an idea who that might be. I think that person would be the best to give advice about what to do.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

THANK YOU

Thank you to everyone for the advice and guidance. Just to let you know, I made the decision last night after talking to a member of the board in the college association to go inactive, both high school and college, for the academic year w/ the exception of over winter break. It will put me back a year in advancing, but I had to face facts and realize that law school is obviously way way way more important than officiating, at least to me it is. That's not to say I'm going to miss it this year, because I'm probably going to go nuts; but the time I just don't think will be there to put everything I have into both and succeed.

BTW, whistleone, I have 4 assignors only because I'm centrally located pretty much right smack dab in the middle of 4 associations--there are 4 high schools within a 6 mile radius of my house that each use a different assignor. Come next year when I get back in full time, there is a good possibility I'll add a 5th that will allow me to work games closer to where I go to school. The good part about it is that all 5 assignors are in one way or another involved in the college association in which I got the contract, so they all work together.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

From what my law school-type friends have said, the first year is many, many times harder than the second and third. Hopefully you'll be able to work something out to start back up after just one year.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: THANK YOU

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the advice and guidance. Just to let you know, I made the decision last night after talking to a member of the board in the college association to go inactive, both high school and college, for the academic year w/ the exception of over winter break. It will put me back a year in advancing, but I had to face facts and realize that law school is obviously way way way more important than officiating, at least to me it is. That's not to say I'm going to miss it this year, because I'm probably going to go nuts; but the time I just don't think will be there to put everything I have into both and succeed.

BTW, whistleone, I have 4 assignors only because I'm centrally located pretty much right smack dab in the middle of 4 associations--there are 4 high schools within a 6 mile radius of my house that each use a different assignor. Come next year when I get back in full time, there is a good possibility I'll add a 5th that will allow me to work games closer to where I go to school. The good part about it is that all 5 assignors are in one way or another involved in the college association in which I got the contract, so they all work together.
This sounds like a very good plan. Please report back here from time to time. I'm interested in law school in the future, and I'd like to know how you're doing at mixing the two!
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: THANK YOU

Quote:
... but I had to face facts and realize that law school is obviously way way way more important than officiating, at least to me it is.
Great. Another lawyer, just what we need...

(BTW, you made the right decision, good luck in law school!)
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Do you know anyone who's a lawyer and also a ref? That person may have some idea of how the juggling act will go, even if he/she didn't do law school and D3 at the same time. It's also possible that there is a D3 or D2 ref around your area who's also a lawyer, but you haven't met him or her, because he/she is generally higher than you on the ladder. The D3 assignor would have an idea who that might be. I think that person would be the best to give advice about what to do.
I know we have at least 1 lawyer/ref here. Can't remember his name right off, but he is in the Las Vegas DA's office.