The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

My 2005-2006 NFHS rule book arrived today! We've known for a while what the rule changes are, but I thought I'd post the exact text so that everybody can start thinking about the nitty gritty of exactly how things changed.

3-4-15 A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt and the pants/skirt shall be above the hips and worn properly. A player not conforming to this uniform policy shall be directed to leave the game. A team member shall not remove the jersey and/or pants/skirt in the visual confines of the playing area. See 10-3-7h and 10-4-1h for penalty.

4-19-7 A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has team control.

4-36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 ... Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an iterrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2 ... Play shall be resumed by:
a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred.
b. A free throw or throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.

6-4-3-g Double personal, double technical or simultaneous fouls occur and the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.

7-5-5 After a player-control foul, as in 4-19-6; a team-control fould, as in 4-19-7; or after a common foul prior to the bonus rule being in effect, as in 4-19-2, any player of the offended team shall make the throw-in from the desginated out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

7-5-9 After a double personal foul, as in 4-19-8a; a double technical foul, as in 4-19-8b; or a simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-10, play shall be resumed at the point of interruption. See 4-36
9-3-2 A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents ofr a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception 4)

10-3-3 Delay returning after legally being out of bounds

10-3-7-h Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

10-4-1-h Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Jul 29th, 2005 at 07:58 PM]
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

The new rulebooks are here! The new rulebooks are here!!!
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 09:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is there any explanation in the new books about what is the mechanics to be used for the new Team Control Fouls?

Peace
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Is there any explanation in the new books about what is the mechanics to be used for the new Team Control Fouls?

Peace

Yes, You give one hand fist to indicate foul; preliminary signal to indicate nature of foul (example block); point to the opposite end of the floor; indicate spot for the designated spot throw-in. I got the information from Referee Magazine August edition. It is worth the subscription.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:

Peace
Yes, You give one hand fist to indicate foul; preliminary signal to indicate nature of foul (example block); point to the opposite end of the floor; indicate spot for the designated spot throw-in. I got the information from Referee Magazine August edition. It is worth the subscription.
I have the same magazine issue. I was wondering if the rulebook had specific information or not. It is one thing to have it in Referee Magazine. It is another thing to have it in the rulebook. Referee Magazine is a media outlet reporting the information, the rulebook is something everyone is going to see and reference.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Peace
I have the same magazine issue. I was wondering if the rulebook had specific information or not. It is one thing to have it in Referee Magazine. It is another thing to have it in the rulebook. Referee Magazine is a media outlet reporting the information, the rulebook is something everyone is going to see and reference.

Peace
In Quaker business meetings, there is a thing called "seasoning". A minute of action, or a nomination for a position is proposed, and then set aside for "seasoning". This means that everyone goes home and prays about it, thinks about it, maybe gossips about it. At the next business meeting (normally a month later), the minute or nomination is approved or not. I read Referee Magazine that way. When I get done with an article, I think, "Hm, that was interesting. I'll see how many corrections they have to print next month regarding this article."

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they do print a surprising amount of stuff that has to be changed. I too, would like to know what the rule book itself says about the mechanics for the TC.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents ofr a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception 4)
So, what did they do with 10-3-3? Is it still in the book? What do we do if a defensive player leaves the floor for an unauthorized reason?
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I got the information from Referee Magazine August edition. It is worth the subscription.
Sooooooo. . . no.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I havent' seen anything in the new book yet that indicates any kind of mechanics on the team control foul. There is nothing on the signal chart that indicates team control foul. Signal 33 is still labeled Player Control Foul.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I hope our clinicians come up with something that we can use in my state. If they do not, people are going to either use the college mechanic or make something up totally.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
So, what did they do with 10-3-3? Is it still in the book? What do we do if a defensive player leaves the floor for an unauthorized reason?
10-3-3 Now only says it's a T to "Delay returning after legally being out of bounds."

9-3-2 makes no distinction between offensive or defensive player. The penalty refers you to "exception 4" of 6-7-9 which indicates:
"the ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when: ... a violation, as in 9-3-2 or 9-13-1, ocurrs by an opponent."

That would certainly indicate that it's proper to call a violation on the defense for leaving the court and that there is a "delayed" dead ball in the case of a tap, try or foul against the airborne shooter.

That certainly seems to back up what was printed in the August Referee Magazine article.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 12:51pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In my area, both NCAA-M and NCAA-W use the punch mechanic for the TC foul, so I'm wondering if that's going to trickle down locally now that NFHS has the TC Foul rule.

(Personally, I'd rather see that than the PC Foul signal, since it's been long-equated with an on-the-ball offensive foul.)

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
10-3-3 Now only says it's a T to "Delay returning after legally being out of bounds."

9-3-2 makes no distinction between offensive or defensive player. The penalty refers you to "exception 4" of 6-7-9 which indicates:
"the ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when: ... a violation, as in 9-3-2 or 9-13-1, ocurrs by an opponent."

That would certainly indicate that it's proper to call a violation on the defense for leaving the court and that there is a "delayed" dead ball in the case of a tap, try or foul against the airborne shooter.

That certainly seems to back up what was printed in the August Referee Magazine article.
Wow, there really seems to be a BIG loophole in this. The NCAA kept the T in the book for a very good reason. The defender running OOB to get around a screen. It seems the the NFHS has been pretty short-sighted and removed that. I don't think that a violation is enough to prevent defenders from doing this.

A smart coach will now have his kids purposely run OOB to get around screens set along the end line or side line. Why not? If the official stops the game and calls a violation, who cares? The offense had an advantageous position anyway because the defender was going to be picked off leaving an opponent wide open. Especially, if the defender is beaten and can't get to his opponent who is going to receive a pass for a good shot. So stopping the game hurts the offense.
If the official doesn't call a violation, then the defender gains an advantage in trying to prevent the shot.

Just picture the play in which A1 and A2 set a double screen along the lane line against the end line. A3 is set up in the corner and A4 is swinging the ball around the perimeter to A5 who will get it to A3 for the shot. B1 desperately needs to get past the double screen set by A1 and A2, who MAY NOT STEP OOB, so B1 simply runs OOB and around them to get over to A3 in time to prevent the shot attempt.
This used to be a T on B1. It now appears that the most the official can do is stop the game and award the ball to Team A for an end line throw-in. Not much of a deterrent. How many coaches really want to see their offensive set interrupted for this violation?

Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
In my area, both NCAA-M and NCAA-W use the punch mechanic for the TC foul,...
Those working the men's games shouldn't be doing this or their evaluator will be on them. Well at least he should be. Maybe whoever is in charge of the games in that area doesn't care what mechanic they use.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 07:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
In my area, both NCAA-M and NCAA-W use the punch mechanic for the TC foul,...
Those working the men's games shouldn't be doing this or their evaluator will be on them. Well at least he should be. Maybe whoever is in charge of the games in that area doesn't care what mechanic they use.
The assignor I work for (Men's NCAA) does not really care if officials use the punch. I use the punch when calling a foul and when I report I use the prescribed mechanic. I guess it just depends on who you work for.

Peace