The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I think some posters are at this tournament. Anybody see this happen? Or maybe even responsible for it??

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=141&p=2&c=412822

Quote:
This story originally published on NewYorkInsider.com

Team Odom Loses Controversial Playoff Game

By Brian Towey Senior Reporter
Date: Jul 26, 2005

Team Odom couldn't make it out of the first round in the playoffs at the Main Event

Team Odom (Cox), after cruising through pool play at the Main Event and easily winning their first-round playoff match-up, suffered a controversial 75-63 defeat to the Chicago Jaguars in the playoffs at the Main Event on Monday.

Coach C.J. Concho was ejected just before the half for twice stepping outside of the coaches' box, and without an assistant coach, Team Odom was forced to fend for itself in the second half. In addition to the suspect circumstances that led to Concho's ejection, Team Odom was on the receiving end of a number of questionable calls, but still battled.

It was nip and tuck early, and teams were locked at 28 at the half before things started to unravel. 6-foot-3, 175 pound swingman Rob Hampton from Christ the King High School turned in an inspired first half effort before tiring. He finished with 15 points.

Larry Davis (NC State) and Malik Boothe both added 11 points, while Brian McKenzie added 10. Team Odom had staggered virtually all of their opponents with their perimeter shooting through pool play, featuring a number of guys who could light it up from deep, but they never really got untracked shooting the ball on Tuesday.

The Jaguars also had superior size, led by 6-foot-9, 225 pound power forward/center Nyal Karshawl from Chicago's Julian High School. Agile and mobile, Karshawl did damage in the paint against a size-challenged Team Odom. He finished with 20 points.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
but they never really got untracked shooting the ball on Tuesday.

Anyway, I'd like to hear the refs' version of why the T's were issued.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
AAU summer rec ball?

As a good frind of mine once said about rec ball:

Phfffbbbbttttt!!!!
This is hardly rec ball. The Vegas sneaker company Championships are for the unofficial National Championship. Any team in the final 8 would give most mid-major NCAA teams serious problems. Every college coach in the country sends a representative to one or all three of these tournaments.

I was going to ask about this too, since in the NYC area coaches are seldom advised to stay in the coaches box. I've never even seen an AAU coach seat-belted after a technical foul. When the rules are not enforced, coaches get used to privileges they're not entitled to.

The coach should clearly have known better after the first T. Team Odom had 3 teams in the tournament and I suspect that they had the coaches spread too thin.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Team Odom Loses Controversial Playoff Game

By Brian Towey Senior Reporter
Date: Jul 26, 2005

Team Odom couldn't make it out of the first round in the playoffs at the Main Event

Team Odom (Cox), after cruising through pool play at the Main Event and easily winning their first-round playoff match-up, suffered a controversial 75-63 defeat to the Chicago Jaguars in the playoffs at the Main Event on Monday.

Coach C.J. Concho was ejected just before the half for twice stepping outside of the coaches' box, and without an assistant coach, Team Odom was forced to fend for itself in the second half. In addition to the suspect circumstances that led to Concho's ejection, Team Odom was on the receiving end of a number of questionable calls, but still battled.

It was nip and tuck early, and teams were locked at 28 at the half before things started to unravel. 6-foot-3, 175 pound swingman Rob Hampton from Christ the King High School turned in an inspired first half effort before tiring. He finished with 15 points.

Larry Davis (NC State) and Malik Boothe both added 11 points, while Brian McKenzie added 10. Team Odom had staggered virtually all of their opponents with their perimeter shooting through pool play, featuring a number of guys who could light it up from deep, but they never really got untracked shooting the ball on Tuesday.

The Jaguars also had superior size, led by 6-foot-9, 225 pound power forward/center Nyal Karshawl from Chicago's Julian High School. Agile and mobile, Karshawl did damage in the paint against a size-challenged Team Odom. He finished with 20 points.
"Suspect circumstances"

"on the receiving end of a number of questionable calls, but still battled."

That's great, unbiased reporting
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
AAU summer rec ball?

As a good friend of mine once said about rec ball:

Phfffbbbbttttt!!!!
This is hardly rec ball. The Vegas sneaker company Championships are for the unofficial National Championship.
Unofficial National Championship of what?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unofficial National Championship of what?
Rec ball?

Maybe sneaker ball?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is tiny, but wasn't the camp in LV the ADIDAS Super 64 tournament?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

There were three major summer tournaments in Las Vegas last week for travel teams, sometimes inaccurately referred to as AAU teams. These tournaments are predominantly for the top sneaker-company sponsored teams and include Reebok Big Time (the original summer tournament), Nike Main Event, and adidas Super 64, as well as Pango's Midnite Madness tournament. Additionally, this year the winner of the Adidas and the Nike tournaments met in a game televised nationally on College Sports TV.

This past week was the last of the two evaluation periods for NCAA Division I coaches to look at prospects. Some teams featured as many as 10 legitimate Division I prospects. The Reebok championship featured the two top prospects in the country, Greg Oden and OJ Mayo.

There are over 500 teams in town and collectively these tournaments may represent the largest basketball event in the country.

With the number of games going on, I'm surprised that every ref in Nevada wasn't working. Someone on the board must have been working that game or watching it.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Just a couple of mostly insignificant comments. Someone previously mentioned that in one of these tournaments, Nike I believe, that the 'locals' only had two gyms. The others were serviced by an officiating clinic and the officials in attendance.

Although, I agree with you JimGolf in part, I think you went too far in one of your statements. These ARE very good teams with great talent and the best players in the country, but I don't believe they could really play with the top NCAA teams.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Although, I agree with you JimGolf in part, I think you went too far in one of your statements. These ARE very good teams with great talent and the best players in the country, but I don't believe they could really play with the top NCAA teams.
I think I said mid-majors. Indy Spiece Heat will essentially be 4 of the Ohio State starting 5 after next year, so we'll see. NJ Panthers have 4 players who will probably be Mc Donald's All-Americans next year. NY Panthers had practically the entire NY and NJ ABCD camp all-star contingent, and they only won 1 or 2 games.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Last week I worked the Super 64 with Coast to Coast, and this week there's another tournament here in Vegas, called the National Youth Basketball Championships (I believe it's sponsored by Nike, but not as big as Main Event), which is also NCAA sanctioned, but not nearly as many college coaches in attendance.

Anyhow, I had a situation similar to the one described today, in which none of the coaches on one team were NCAA certified, so the tournament director informed us that there would be no active coaches on the bench, but they'd be supervised. I was dubious, but agreed to play. Big mistake, the coaches were behaving like fans sitting behind the bench, and since nobody was technically in charge of the bench, it made managing the game tough, especially when people started fouling out early because they were kept in the game. Eventually, the coach of the other team and some players started saying that the coaches were being derogotory to some of the opposing players. Eventually the head coach from the stands got so frustrated at one of his players that he walked onto the bench and picked up a chair, so I dumped him right there, and we got done. It was the first time I've ever considered clearing the gym. I will never, never again work a game with no active coach on the bench with youths playing, and from a liability standpoint, I think I was crazy to do it to begin with.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I was there and he needed to be ejected. He was called for one T and then he got the second one about 2 minutes or so later. He was loud and out of control. So it was warrented.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Last week I worked the Super 64 with Coast to Coast, and this week there's another tournament here in Vegas, called the National Youth Basketball Championships (I believe it's sponsored by Nike, but not as big as Main Event), which is also NCAA sanctioned, but not nearly as many college coaches in attendance.

Anyhow, I had a situation similar to the one described today, in which none of the coaches on one team were NCAA certified, so the tournament director informed us that there would be no active coaches on the bench, but they'd be supervised. I was dubious, but agreed to play. Big mistake, the coaches were behaving like fans sitting behind the bench, and since nobody was technically in charge of the bench, it made managing the game tough, especially when people started fouling out early because they were kept in the game. Eventually, the coach of the other team and some players started saying that the coaches were being derogotory to some of the opposing players. Eventually the head coach from the stands got so frustrated at one of his players that he walked onto the bench and picked up a chair, so I dumped him right there, and we got done. It was the first time I've ever considered clearing the gym. I will never, never again work a game with no active coach on the bench with youths playing, and from a liability standpoint, I think I was crazy to do it to begin with.
You were at Coast 2 Coast?? So was I, which one were you?
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I was in session 1, the younger of the guys from the Bay Area.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I was the young session 2 guy that was at the session 1 dinner and meeting the first day.

Edit: Were you the guy who officiates like 5 sports?

[Edited by ref18 on Jul 29th, 2005 at 11:47 PM]