View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

There were three major summer tournaments in Las Vegas last week for travel teams, sometimes inaccurately referred to as AAU teams. These tournaments are predominantly for the top sneaker-company sponsored teams and include Reebok Big Time (the original summer tournament), Nike Main Event, and adidas Super 64, as well as Pango's Midnite Madness tournament. Additionally, this year the winner of the Adidas and the Nike tournaments met in a game televised nationally on College Sports TV.

This past week was the last of the two evaluation periods for NCAA Division I coaches to look at prospects. Some teams featured as many as 10 legitimate Division I prospects. The Reebok championship featured the two top prospects in the country, Greg Oden and OJ Mayo.

There are over 500 teams in town and collectively these tournaments may represent the largest basketball event in the country.

With the number of games going on, I'm surprised that every ref in Nevada wasn't working. Someone on the board must have been working that game or watching it.