The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

1. A1 has very big hands. He is standing on the court holding the ball in his right hand. His hand is on the side of the ball and the hand is perpendicular to the court. B1 slaps the ball toward the sideline. A1's arm swings that way while still holding the ball but the momentum of the slap eventually makes the ball leave A1's hand and go OOB. Which team gets the throwin?

2. A1 (different A1) is an airborne shooter. While in the air, he releases the ball toward the basket and is fouled by B1 on his arm. Prior to returning to the floor, he is also fouled by B2. What's the call.

3. A1 (an even different A1) is holding the ball on the court. Coach B stands up to yell at the officials and in doing so, wets his pants. He requests a timeout. Do you grant it?

Whoever gets the most questions correct wins a copy of FEEBLE rules autographed by some Euro player whose name consists solely of twenty-seven consonants.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
4. How many technical fouls are assessed to team A for having three A1's on their roster?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

5. The official in Play #1 awards the ball to Team B, saying technically, A1, because of his exceptionally large hands, had opportunity to re-gain control of the ball because he could have simply re-palmed it, and therefore was the last player to touch the ball before it went OOB. A1's mother is in the stands behind the calling official, gesturing wildly and complaining vociferously, using very colourful language, about the ruling. Should the official:

a) Turn around, and loudly tell the parent to "shut up"

b) Turn around, and loudly tell the parent to "shut the f**k up"

c) Turn around, and loudly tell the parent to "shut up" AND "sit down"

d) Run into the stands and puke on the parent's shoes
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
1. A1 has very big hands.
You know what that means don't you? Yep, that A1 wears very big mittens.

Z
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
5. The official in Play #1 awards the ball to Team B, saying technically, A1, because of his exceptionally large hands, had opportunity to re-gain control of the ball because he could have simply re-palmed it, and therefore was the last player to touch the ball before it went OOB. A1's mother is in the stands behind the calling official, gesturing wildly and complaining vociferously, using very colourful language, about the ruling. Should the official:

You forgot...

e) Stare at the parent's pants
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Should the official:

Or, my favorite, courtesy of Dan:
e) Turn around, and loudly ask the parent, "Who the f*%k are you?"
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Should the official:

Now now, to be clear - this is something Dan saw, not something Dan did. Dan doesn't acknowledge the fans. (BTW, Dan also finds people who speak in the 3rd person kinda annoying.)

Getting back to the original questions: in all 3 of Mark's plays the correct call is a no call. This is because we're on a luxury liner crossing the international date line and it's time to go get another steak sandwich and the olive in our martini glass is starting to dry out.

For Cannuck's play the official quickly turns to the fan and says "Bad dog! Bad! Sit! No biscuit for you!"

This one I have done during an AAU game, but not on purpose. The coach jumped up after a call waving his arms & spouting something, I turned to him and said "SIT!" That shut him up but he was still standing so I pointed my finger at him and said "SIT!" again. He sat. It was a few seconds before I realized what had just happened, when I got home I gave my dog a biscuit.

Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 10:38am
In Memoriam

Is that the real Woody or a reasonable facsimile of him, Slappy?

Either way, sumb!itch needs a saddle.......
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Guys - I thought you were going to take this seriously.

Yeah, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

BTW Dan - extra credit for remembering the one about officiating a game on an ocean liner crossing the international date line. That brought back memories.

Now if I could just remember that casebook play about what you do if the ball doesn't pass completely through the peach basket.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Should the official:

Now now, to be clear - this is something Dan saw, not something Dan did. Dan doesn't acknowledge the fans. (BTW, Dan also finds people who speak in the 3rd person kinda annoying.)

Getting back to the original questions: in all 3 of Mark's plays the correct call is a no call. This is because we're on a luxury liner crossing the international date line and it's time to go get another steak sandwich and the olive in our martini glass is starting to dry out.

For Cannuck's play the official quickly turns to the fan and says "Bad dog! Bad! Sit! No biscuit for you!"

This one I have done during an AAU game, but not on purpose. The coach jumped up after a call waving his arms & spouting something, I turned to him and said "SIT!" That shut him up but he was still standing so I pointed my finger at him and said "SIT!" again. He sat. It was a few seconds before I realized what had just happened, when I got home I gave my dog a biscuit.

And now you bring a biscuit to every game, right?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm actually going to rule on the plays

1. A1 has very big hands. He is standing on the court holding the ball in his right hand. His hand is on the side of the ball and the hand is perpendicular to the court. B1 slaps the ball toward the sideline. A1's arm swings that way while still holding the ball but the momentum of the slap eventually makes the ball leave A1's hand and go OOB. Which team gets the throwin?

2. A1 (different A1) is an airborne shooter. While in the air, he releases the ball toward the basket and is fouled by B1 on his arm. Prior to returning to the floor, he is also fouled by B2. What's the call.

3. A1 (an even different A1) is holding the ball on the court. Coach B stands up to yell at the officials and in doing so, wets his pants. He requests a timeout. Do you grant it?
==================
1 - You know the right call - B's ball. You also know the correct call - A's ball.

2 - You know the right call - multiple foul, charge both B1 and B2 and shoot 2 throws. You also know the correct call - foul on B1, shoot 2 throws.

3 - B was standing and yelling. Assuming there is no coach's box in this state, you should T him, BUT ONLY if you know that he violated before he evacuated (loss of coaching box and the right to drink beverages). If the P came first and then he stood, the P takes precedence since it comes first in the alphabet (Sesame Street Casebook 2.4.5a (cookie monster interpretation)). If a coach's box is used, the coach is allowed to stand so just go with the flow.

As for the timeout, there is no control (ball or bladder) so no timeout can be granted. Once the ball is dead, you may grant the timeout if he raises his hand (open hand - a closed hand if there is a foul odor).
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Re: I'm actually going to rule on the plays

Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2

2 - You know the right call - multiple foul, charge both B1 and B2 and shoot 2 throws. You also know the correct call - foul on B1, shoot 2 throws.
Close, if the basket is good, false multiple foul and 1 throw per foul, basket is not good, false multiple foul and 2 throws per foul. Casebook play 4.19.11

But I agree and would probably only call the first foul unless the second was a hard enough foul.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, Lukealex.

Cooler play - and one I actually had and decided to call. A1 is driving and B1 is already in good defensive position. A1 decides to go for it and jumps for the layup. As he does, B2 slaps him hard across the arm. I whistle that, then airborn A1 crashes into B1 as the ball goes through the basket. Smart thing is probably to just go with the first foul, but I thought that was really giving A1 a break since he knew he was going to charge B1. So I called both fouls and sold it hard. Nobody said a word.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I'm actually going to rule on the plays

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2

Close, if the basket is good, false multiple foul and 1 throw per foul, basket is not good, false multiple foul and 2 throws per foul. Casebook play 4.19.11

But I agree and would probably only call the first foul unless the second was a hard enough foul.
I say multiple foul...not false multiple. The multiple foul definition says "approximately" the same time. Now, the first foul happened before the release and the 2nd occured well after the first, perhaps while the ball were rolling on the rim, I'd consider that a false multiple. The false multiple could even occur on the subsequent throwin.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 09:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Ya' know - there's nothing more disappointing than a false multiple.