The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Hi

After coaching many years in a community league, I have decided to try officiating and just became certified. I am also signed up for a camp in a couple of weeks.

Other than that, any good advice out there for a beginner?

Thanks
Cheryl
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Cheryl,

First of all, glad to have you here on the site. If you're like me, you'll find that it's a valuable resource for improving your officiating. You'll also find that it's addicting. So maybe it's better if you're not like me.

In any case, here's my humble suggestions for improving as a brand new official. Seems to me that there are only 2 or 3 things that you totally control when you're just starting out. They are: 1) your knowledge of the rules; 2) your mechanics; 3) your appearance.

1) Know your rules cold. Read the book all the time, read the cases when your not reading the rules. Talk to fellow officials who know the rules about situations. Listen to your board interpreter at meetings. Know the rules cold.

2) Practice your mechanics as much as possible. Do this at home in front of a mirror. Watch yourself. Say "Tweet" (don't actually blow a whistle, or you'll go deaf) and make a foul signal. Or stop the clock and give a traveling signal. Do this as much as you can. If you can see yourself doing it, you'll know if your arm is really straight. (If your arms get tired, take a break and study your rule book.) You'll get into the habit of using a fist for fouls and open palm for violations. Get your signals right out in front of your chest. Practice reporting the foul to the table. Again, try to do this in front of a mirror if at all possible. It feels silly, but it helps, honest.

3) Don't scrimp on your uniform. Get black beltless pants (I prefer pleated Sansabelts, but you can buy other brands that still look nice). Get a good pair of black shoes and make 'em shine! People really do notice. If you have a slightly "unusual" hairstyle, get rid of it. (My first year I didn't want to cut my hair and I was called "pretty boy" by a fan. That convinced me real fast.) If you wear jewlery like a bracelet or chain or a watch, don't wear them on the court.

Finally, you just have to go out and work games. Lots and lots of games. See as much baskeball as you can. If you're not workig a game, go to a HS game and watch the officials. Take your rule book so you can study the rules during the time-outs. Then talk to the officials after the game, if they're available. Ask them about a situation from the game and why they handled it as they did. Then offer to buy them a couple beers at the local watering hole. Ok, that last part is probably not as important as the other stuff, but you get the idea.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how your first few games go. Have a great season.

Did I mention that you should study the rules?
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Welcome to the forum and best of luck. Since you have signed up for camp already, the two best pieces of advice I can give are:

1) Be open to learing as much as possible. Be a sponge.

2) HAVE FUN!!! If you aren't having any fun, then you aren't doing something right.

Best of luck!
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

To see if you can handle the pressure, I suggest the following self-test.

Lock yourself in a small closet and play a continuous loop tape of Bobby Knight screaming for about 2 1/2 hours.

If you are still relatively sane when you come out, you just might make it through a 6th grade rec game.
Official Forum Member

Cheryl,

I'm beginning my third year as a certified official. I have done what Chuck has suggested for you, and it is really solid advice.

Let me add that I have found most seasoned officials will support you if you are sincerely trying to better yourself. Demonstrate that you care about what you are doing, and you will find good advice flowing in.

This board is another great tool. If you don't know the rules, you will not be able to handle yourself when things get crazy. This board will help you know the rules, AND give you plenty of information about game management.

I will also add that few things will help you more than being in the right spot to make a call. Hustle when you need to, stay put when you need to.

Knowing the rules without thinking about them, and seeing the play at the best angle will allow the calls to come as much by reflex as by thought.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up after a bad call. There are too many more to get right later. If you dwell on the last call, you miss the next three.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:23pm
Huck Finn

What does becoming certified in your area entail/mean?

I'm just wondering if you have any experience since you say you have just became certified.

One reason I ask this is there are certain philosophies that have changed over the last couple of years and applying them might help you or just complicate things depending on what you have done so far. If you have some experience things like getting top-side and moving opposite the direction of the play may come easily. Chuck's advice is priceless. Some things you can control before you ever step on the court. Controlling things like appearance, rules knowledge and mechanics mean you don't have to worry about them on the court. I'm still sort of amazed when I see/hear people being told over and over again to work on their mechanics.

[Edited by tomegun on Jun 27th, 2005 at 01:28 PM]
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to the great comments, I would add.

Be open to constructive criticism, ask your more experienced partners for tips every game.

Ask a fellow official to watch your game or even better have someone tape your game. It will open your eyes to several things

As far as the mechanics, you can even practice in the office restroom mirror, although someone may think you are missing a couple of marbles.

Have fun on the court, for the vast majority officiating is a hobby and not a career.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Your local association likely has several members who would be glad to mentor a new official.

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

When receiving that "helpful" advice, always stop and listen. Don't interrupt with your explanation. When the advisor/evaluator is finished, ask them for further explanation based on any additional details you can give.

Also, remember that if you have 3 officials watching you, you are likely to get 3 different opinions on some things. Listen to them all, and try to figure out what fits best. (HINT: Whoever assigns your games is right, even if he/she isn't)
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Communication is the key.

Knowing the rules and developing good judgment takes time and working lots of games.

Two things you should be able to have ready from the start are a strong whistle and voice. A good blast to stop play and vocalizing what you have will go a long way to carry you until your mechanics become second nature.

When things come up and you make a mistake...and you will, we all do...have your rule/case books ready to learn what you did wrong. Then strive to not make that mistake again.

Pick one or two things to work on each game. When you start getting a handle on those, add a couple more.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

The same thing my partner told me at mid-court before my first game:

"Have fun and keep it simple."
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Some great advice from everyone.

I'd also make sure to attend as many playoff games as you can at the end of season, to see how the most skilled officials work with the most skilled players.

The pressure of the playoffs can create some unusual situations that will highlight these officials' game management skills. Watch their positioning and the communication between the officials, particularly the non-verbal communication. Watch how they hustle to keep abreast of the action and pay special attention to how they keep control if volatile situations threaten to over-shadow the game.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Communication is the key

First of all, congratulations on seeking advice.

I just returned from a varsity camp, where it was painful to see some new refs as well as some seasoned people still not communicating effectively.

It's always easiest for my very small mind to only work on one or two things at a time. You're probably smarter than me, so I'll give you three keys to communicating well:

1. A strong whistle goes a long way to communicate that you know what you're doing. Especially in a loud gym, a strong whistle will be your friend. Practice it in a closed garage or other area where people won't start throwing things at you.
2. When you call a foul or violation, raise a fist or open hand and just stand there for a moment. Then in a loud voice, communicate the foul or violation without moving, saying the number of shots or spot of throw in. Blow a strong whistle and talk loud enough for all players and your partner to hear. Nothing worse as a ref than a partner who doesn't tell you what he/she's got.
3. When communicating with the table, have strong signals. Someone who displays weak signals in that moment when half the stands are watching makes themselves look bad when Mr. DeMille has the camera on ya.

Overall, be strong in those three areas and you'll be way ahead of most rookies. It all comes back to communicating strongly.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of excellent advice. Let me touch on a couple of things, somewhat mentioned, and expand.

A videotape is your best improvement tool. The mirror at home for practice is great, and I recommend it, but it won't catch you in action moving around. You will see yourself and simultaneously wonder who that is you are watching, as what you THINK you are doing and what you are doing are often two different things. However, with that said, good signal mechanics can be worked on at home, and you don't necessarily need the video to be good at that. What the tape will offer you is a look at positioning, initial mechanics on calls, etc. and you will see what you like and what you don't like and change accordingly.

I'm not saying tape every game, unless you can do that and want to do that (if I were still doing hoops I would have all my games taped, but I understand that is a real chore). Several a year, to the extent you can have that done, will be a great teaching aid.

The other thing that isn't emphasized for young officials enough is handling the coaches and fans. The first and ONLY rule with fans is to ignore them. If there is a situation (e.g. threats of violence or totally outrageous behavior), it isn't your job to deal with it. Have the game admin deal with it, and tell him/her exactly what need to be done (i.e. "Remove the fan from the gym").

As far as coaches, my advice is to not get into the habits of giving warnings. A coach, just like a child with a parent, will push you as far as he or she thinks they can get away with (and then some) and if you keep saying "if you do that again, I will..." Answer the questions if they ask, but don't argue or try to convince them. "Coach, I judged the contact as incidental, that's why there was no foul called," and then walk away. Don't tolerate illegal behavior -- deal with it. But don't grow rabbit ears either. A coach on the sideline mouthing to his assistant doesn't bother me in the least. As a coach yourself, I'm sure you know that the thing you hated most was to be ignored when you are griping about something. But that's exactly what needs to be done.

Finally, support your partner. I got into the habit, especially when working with younger officials, of saying in front of the coaches or players, "good call, Joe" or something similar. It gave you the appearance of working strongly together and gave the coach second thoughts about getting on your partner.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

You've gotten very good advice. Let me reiterate a few and add a few things.

1. Don't want to sound sexist, but some people will test you more because you are a woman (At least with the name Cheryl I think you're a woman.) Don't take any bull off of male coaches and and let your partners help run interference at first if you need them to.

2. Especially when you are new, work on clean mechanics and selling your calls. At times you have be a used car salesman! Be confident and appear confident.

3. Look your best each time you step on the court. (Unlike Chuck, I hate beltless pants!)

4. Wear good shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ask any question you think of. The only dumb questions are the ones people don't ask.We all get brain freeze some times. Learn from everyone you work with -- good and not so good alike.

6. Never listen to howler monkeys! A good rule of thumb - the younger the player the dumber the parent!

7. Work hard. Have fun. Do your best.Don't take yourself too seriously. You'll develop your own style in time.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Cheryl,

First of all, glad to have you here on the site. If you're like me, you'll find that it's a valuable resource for improving your officiating. You'll also find that it's addicting. So maybe it's better if you're not like me.

In any case, here's my humble suggestions for improving as a brand new official. Seems to me that there are only 2 or 3 things that you totally control when you're just starting out. They are: 1) your knowledge of the rules; 2) your mechanics; 3) your appearance.

1) Know your rules cold. Read the book all the time, read the cases when your not reading the rules. Talk to fellow officials who know the rules about situations. Listen to your board interpreter at meetings. Know the rules cold.

2) Practice your mechanics as much as possible. Do this at home in front of a mirror. Watch yourself. Say "Tweet" (don't actually blow a whistle, or you'll go deaf) and make a foul signal. Or stop the clock and give a traveling signal. Do this as much as you can. If you can see yourself doing it, you'll know if your arm is really straight. (If your arms get tired, take a break and study your rule book.) You'll get into the habit of using a fist for fouls and open palm for violations. Get your signals right out in front of your chest. Practice reporting the foul to the table. Again, try to do this in front of a mirror if at all possible. It feels silly, but it helps, honest.

3) Don't scrimp on your uniform. Get black beltless pants (I prefer pleated Sansabelts, but you can buy other brands that still look nice). Get a good pair of black shoes and make 'em shine! People really do notice. If you have a slightly "unusual" hairstyle, get rid of it. (My first year I didn't want to cut my hair and I was called "pretty boy" by a fan. That convinced me real fast.) If you wear jewlery like a bracelet or chain or a watch, don't wear them on the court.

Finally, you just have to go out and work games. Lots and lots of games. See as much baskeball as you can. If you're not workig a game, go to a HS game and watch the officials. Take your rule book so you can study the rules during the time-outs. Then talk to the officials after the game, if they're available. Ask them about a situation from the game and why they handled it as they did. Then offer to buy them a couple beers at the local watering hole. Ok, that last part is probably not as important as the other stuff, but you get the idea.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how your first few games go. Have a great season.

Did I mention that you should study the rules?
Cheryl welcome to the group and welcome to officiating.

I ditto everything that chuck says X2 it is so important to know the rules. Because you never know what is going to happen.

Also dress the part, when you walk on the court those players, coaches and fans will seek you out if you dont look the part.(It is like they have a six sense).

Also have fun, just enjoy what you do. Just remember that you are there to keep under control do not control the game. Let the game come to you. Seek out advice, if you dont know ask, if you get a answer and you are not sure abt the answer ask someone else to see what they say.

And chuck I love the beltless pants also, my first pair was a beltless 'Bike' pair of pants, they just dont make them like they used to.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire