The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I wonder if I have even given 40 T's in my life and wallace has 40 this year alone. Plus 6 ejections. They always tell you players will adjust to how you call a game, so what is he missing; is he just that dumb? Or are the NBA refs using him as an example? If I was one of his teammates we would be having a "towel" party on the next road trip.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The buzz around here is that he is in some kind of anger management program, which may help eventually. Also that off the court he is one of the sweetest most gentle men you could ever meet. I have no idea whether any of this is true, but it's the rumor in Portland.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The buzz around here is that he is in some kind of anger management program, which may help eventually. Also that off the court he is one of the sweetest most gentle men you could ever meet. I have no idea whether any of this is true, but it's the rumor in Portland.
How often do we read about some guy who just shot his wife
and the neighbor's reaction is: "I'm shocked, he's just
such a sweet guy..."
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The buzz around here is that he is in some kind of anger management program, which may help eventually.
I have heard this too. Personally I think Sheed has an authority problem. Now he thinks the league IS making an example of him wich will perpetuate the viscious cylce.

Sincerly,
Dr. Mike

Seriously, If he can't get his head together he will be a big problem for his team come playoff time.

40-Ts? Last year I called a total of 3-Ts. 2 of which were administrative.

Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 02:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Do you guys not do men's leagues?

I do 5 divisions of men's leagues here, and I give a T almost every game. Not because I'm a poor official, but because yelling out "That's bull****" is an automatic T.

..Mike
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 02:35pm
Suppref

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Do you guys not do men's leagues?

I do 5 divisions of men's leagues here, and I give a T almost every game. Not because I'm a poor official, but because yelling out "That's bull****" is an automatic T.

..Mike
I'm with you Jugg, the mens rec league are the ones to get the T's. I even tell them that if they use the F word I will T 'em. I don't care if it's not directed at anyone but themselves, it's automatic. However on the HS level player get intentionals or a T if they slam the ball down. I told a kid one time that if that ball comes down it's a T, he smiled at me and it hit him square on top of the head. We laughed and went to the free thow line.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

hey all
i'm from portland and probably know some things you might not know
i read a bunch of articles about him and all and this is what i got:
while in middles school, a lot of highschool coachse were looking at him. there were many articles about him in the papers while an 8th grader, and he didn't like that. when he got to HS, he tried to ignore the press as much as possible, but they wanted to interview him after every game! when he said he will go to UNC, papers reported that he is making a bad decision by not staying in Phily. that and all other things got him very angry and from that point on (actually, earliier) he never wanted to give any interviews at all. he became angry w/ the press and the refs in college and carried it on to the NBA
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Anger Mgmt...

Maybe this is a bit out of context, because I do not follow the NBA, but it seems that the coach should have the "authority" to hit this out-of-control (anti-authority) player where he needs it... With an "attitude check" AKA bench time and sizeable fines. Is Portland that desparate for players? If it were Wash Wizards I could understand....
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

To address a couple of posts-

Brain - Just like Dennis Rodamn, Rasheed has made a name for himself and has a reputation with the officials. Therefore, he's going to get less rope before he hangs himself than most players.

Jugg and Sup - I agree. Adult leagues are the worst. I've worked the same league for 5 years. We have about 14 teams in it. The team,s and guys who have been in the league from the beginning don't screw with me. That know I'll stick'em in the *** in a NY minute. But every year there's a new team or a new superstar who doesn't know me. Let me introduce myself!

ilya - The good people at Temple thought Rasheed was a lock when he was a HS senior in 1993. But the day after Carolina won the NCAA Champiosnhip, Dean Smith flew from New Orleans to Philadelphia, instead of Chapel Hill. The Wallace family was so impressed that Coach Smith would travel to see Rasheed the day after winning the National Championship, that he committed to Carolina the same day.

While at Carolina, Coach Smith kept Wallace under control. Even so, he accumulated 4 or 5 technicals in his two years at UNC. But there was no indication that he had any ill feelings toward the press when he was a Tar Heel. Of course, when you're a Tar Heel, there are certain things that you're expected to say and do when representing the program.

willie - The NBA doesn't work that way, unless a player grabs the coach around the throat, such as Latrell Sprewell. You're dealing with grown men, not boys. People who are making millions of dollars a year generally don't respond to be benched. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. That's just the way it is in pro sports today.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
grabs the coach around the throat, such as Latrell Sprewell
Completely changing the subject, When this incident happened, our local Goodwill store put up a sign. "Sprewell and Carlesimo both shop here ... on alternating days." I thought that was cute!