The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Thumbs up

Well I just came up with an idea that I had never seen before.
I used to carry my spare whistle in my sock. With wearing a v-neck shirt I clip both my smitty's with whistles to that little loop
and then stick the spare inside my shirt.
If I loose a whistle in the middle of a game I have a spare immediately.

I thought is was a pretty good idea. Anyone else do this?
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I keep it in my pocket.

Others use a regular (around the neck) lanyard for the spare whistle and keep it under their shirt.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I keep my extra whistle in my pants pocket. I use it as my personal possession arrow. I keep it in the pocket that represents direction when I face the table. Once you get in the habit of switching the whistle, it is quite easy and becomes very helpful in resolving arrow questions/errors.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Question

After reading Shamrock86's responce to the spare whistle question (which is a great idea) i have to ask if your local Associations also assign Scorer's and Timer's? Our Association train's and assigns both Scorer's and Timer's and it is really nice to walk on the floor and know the person at the table will not be shacking his head as you report a foul (just one less thing i have to worry about) This fourm is Fantastic, allowing me to exchange idea's with referees from all over the country.

------------------
Don
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just woundering? Why do you need to have a spare whistle, ever since they came up with the Fox 40? I can understand a spare lynard, but only if you are using a smitty. Just asking no biting of the head off now.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 08:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery on 01-01-2000 06:20 PM
Just woundering? Why do you need to have a spare whistle, ever since they came up with the Fox 40? I can understand a spare lynard, but only if you are using a smitty. Just asking no biting of the head off now.

I carry a bunch of spare whistles in my bag. Three times in the past few years I have had a partner show up with no whistle (left it at home). I carry spare lanyards, too. Also a pair of black sweat pants (had to use them only once, thank goodness) shoelaces, towel, rule and case books, pump and needle, scoreboard controller cable (they're somewhat universal), cell phone and socks.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I had a partner bite completely through his whistle during a game. I guess he was really tense about something.

Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I agree with haveing back-ups or spares in your bag. I mean I have 2 of everything in my bag, but I don't bring a spare whistle on the floor with me.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

During my first year of officiating I wanted to make a good impression on the assignors and took every game they threw my way. But in the very beginning I had to to turn down a couple games because they called me at work to do one the same day and I wouldn't have time to go back to my apt. and get a uniform.

So ever since, I keep an entire spare bag in my trunk that has everything I have in my regular travel kit. It came in very handy that first year as assignors knew they could count on me up to the very last minute.

Since that first year, I haven't had to use it, but I still keep it in there, just in case, God forbid, I would forget any gear in my regular kit (which does, btw, include spare whistles).
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery on 01-02-2000 02:18 PM
I agree with haveing back-ups or spares in your bag. I mean I have 2 of everything in my bag, but I don't bring a spare whistle on the floor with me.

If your whistle falls off, and you happen to kick it undr the the stands, whast do you do?
BTW, I have this happen to me, luckily I had aspare in my pocket. I retrieved it after the game. A second whistle on the floor can be a life saver in a game.