The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

We had a player go for a block and slap the backboard in an attempt to block while the ball was on the rim. Partner called BI, then asked me about it later. I couldn't find justification in the rules, help me out.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I couldn't find justification in the rules.
There's a very good reason you couldn't find justification for it in the rules, Dev.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Oops!

Partner missed it.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
What if this happens, player slaps the backboard and it moves enough to cause the ball to not go in the basket?
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
What if this happens, player slaps the backboard and it moves enough to cause the ball to not go in the basket?
See case book play 10.3.5. It's spelled out in entirety in another thread.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Yep just read that one
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:48am
Huck Finn

This is a cop out that so many people take! Knowing some of the guys I've seen do this brings one word to mind, ridiculous! I'm not speaking for anybody except those I've seen in the past do this; they didn't have any guts and that is why they chose this way out!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
This is a cop out that so many people take! Knowing some of the guys I've seen do this brings one word to mind, ridiculous! I'm not speaking for anybody except those I've seen in the past do this; they didn't have any guts and that is why they chose this way out!
tomegun -

I'm confused as to which way you meant as the cop out - the original play where the BI was called just because a player hit the backboard on a block attempt, or the casebook play?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

tomegun is one of those officials with balls of steel that will make any call at any time, no matter how harsh the penalty and no matter how much displeasure it causes the coaches, fans, or players.

I'm quite confident that he means calling BI instead of a T for the backboard slap is a cop out.

Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
tomegun is one of those officials with balls of steel that will make any call at any time, no matter how harsh the penalty and no matter how much displeasure it causes the coaches, fans, or players.

I'm quite confident that he means calling BI instead of a T for the backboard slap is a cop out.

Or conversely, calling BI instead of no-calling it because the player slapped the backboard while trying to block the shot. Some guys call BI here because they think (and it's reinforced by the screaming coaches and fans for one team and the compliant coach of the "guilty" player) something has to be called.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Tomegun, I am totally with you on this one. I had a game last weekend I was the lead my trail called a BI when this guy slaped the backboard so hard it shook.

It was in the first half so at half time we talked abt it, I asked him about it and he said he was going to call a T but did not want to upset the coach.

I told him who cares if he is upset. I told him either make the correct call or dont call anything. but i told him that if you make the corect call now you are going to have to explain why you did not call it that way the first half.

And sure as my name is chris, same play, same player, and all three officals were in the same position. And we both looked at him as he blew his whistle and hit them with a T.

The coach went crazy, but i knew he knew it was teh right call but because he called it the other way the first time he was just trying him.

But I do agree dont be scared to make that call that does not please the crowd or coaches who cares.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I know that in this situation it is a T but does anyone think that the rule should be changed to BI, this ruling like the voluntarily leaving the court T seem to be a little harsh.

In the BI case say a rookie official knows the rule but does not have a patient whistle and the kid smacks the backboard and the basket goes in. Now you have to count the basket give the same team two free throws and the ball at the division line. That could get pretty ridiculous. That in itself is a possible six point swing, instead of calling BI where if the rookie official with no patient whistle calls the same play as above BI whether it goes in or not does not matter, it is BI and two points regardless and the ball is awarded to the other team.

This is JMHO though, but until the rule is changed I will more than likely go with a no call because I don't want to have a possible six point swing on my shoulders.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

This is JMHO though, but until the rule is changed I will more than likely go with a no call because I don't want to have a possible six point swing on my shoulders.
If it's a problem, put it on the shoulders of the kid who *intentionally* slapped the backboard . . . .
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 01:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

If it's a problem, put it on the shoulders of the kid who *intentionally* slapped the backboard . . . .
If you're even thinking about "swings", you're in the wrong avocation right from the git-go. Might be advisable to think about becoming a timer or scorer instead, if you want to stay involved with the game.

Might be a good idea,TN, to hunt up a post of Mark Padgett's and read his tag line. That's how officials think.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jul 4th, 2005 at 02:57 AM]