The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Just wanted to throw this out. The Minnesota State High School League has just voted to switch the length of boys and girls games. The are going to 2 18 minute halves instead of the 4 8 minute quarters. Just thought people might be interested.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to capwsu
Thank you for the info. I knew there was talk of this, but figured since I hadn't heard anything about it, it wasn't going to happen. I wonder what scools are going to do about the b-squad (or JV game). As it was, most of my varsity games started late, I don't think this is going to speed up the game at all. Only time will tell.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

News article says longer time is only for varsity. JV and younger will still play 32 minutes, but as 2 halves instead of 4 quarters.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I can understand going to halves, MA also plays halves. But why lengthen the game? That's 4 extra minutes per game. 20 games a year. That's 80 extra minutes, almost 3 more games per season, than before. Why do that? Eventually, it's going to screw up all your state scoring/assist/rebound records.

BTW, the NFHS will be none too happy with this decision. Playing halves -- not the shot clock -- is why the FED won't let a MA representative chair the rules committee. Minnesota will also be sanctioned, I'm sure.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Link to article

Here is a link to an article on the MN move to 18 minute halves. http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5455495.html
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

1. Did the officials up in MN have a say in this?
2. Are they also going to increase the officials pay by the same 12.5%?

Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. No, we had no say.

2. Fees are set by each individual association, which can be a chore in itself.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

So essentially every game that you do next season will go to OT. If your employers expect you to work OT, you should be paid for it. JMO.

A clip from the article:

Merkle said he surveyed officials' associations on whether they would ask for more money per game and the answers were mixed. "Some would ask for more pay, others would not," he said.

North Branch athletic director Becky Leuer, a board member, advised her colleagues to dismiss that concern: "As far as officials' costs, they raise their fees every two years anyway."

[Edited by Nevadaref on Jun 18th, 2005 at 03:04 AM]
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Link to article

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
Here is a link to an article on the MN move to 18 minute halves. http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5455495.html
Personally I like the change. We are moving ever closer to 1 set of rules for everyone.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Link to article

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
We are moving ever closer to 1 set of rules for everyone.
While some rules should be the same in each rule-set, I don't think length of game should be one of those. HS kids shouldn't be expected to play a game as long as college kids, who in turn shouldn't be expected to play as long as the pros. Halves, quarters, I really don't care all that much. But I don't like lengthening the game for younger kids. JMO.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Re: Re: Link to article

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Killian
Personally I like the change. We are moving ever closer to 1 set of rules for everyone.
That will never happen, nor should it. There are different rules because there are different skill levels and ages playing the game. I can't think of a single team game that has the same rules for all ages.