The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
This is something that I have always wondered about, but it has just come back to me.

Back in the day, when messing around I used to jump off someone else's back when they were on all fours to dunk the ball. Then I had no idea if it was legal but now I don't think it is.

What does everythone else think and is there a rule I missed when trying to figure this one out?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
This is something that I have always wondered about, but it has just come back to me.

Back in the day, when messing around I used to jump off someone else's back when they were on all fours to dunk the ball. Then I had no idea if it was legal but now I don't think it is.

What does everythone else think and is there a rule I missed when trying to figure this one out?
Yes, there's a rule you missed. Hint: The play you describe is worth two Ts.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Yes, there's a rule you missed. Hint: The play you describe is worth two Ts.

I believe that a certain OOO thinks that it's really 3 Ts. One for the jumper, one for the player jumped off of, and a 3rd. for dunking a dead ball.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

So I guess I'm not going out on a limb here to say its illegal
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So I guess I'm not going out on a limb here to say its illegal
Right out of the FED rule book:

R10-3-7(e)- "A player shall not commit an unsporting foul. This includes...acts such as climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height".
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Has anybody ever seen a team try this?

Or...what are some of the weirdest things you've ever seen happen in a game that just made you shake your head and wonder...huh???
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:

Or...what are some of the weirdest things you've ever seen happen in a game that just made you shake your head and wonder...huh???
The weirdest thing that ever happened to me was that a coach thought I was wrong on a call. Just once, though.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

The weirdest thing that ever happened to me was that a coach thought I was wrong on a call. Just once, though.
That's odd. The weirdest thing that ever happende to me was that a coach thought I was right! Made me worry about my judgement.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 05:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I can remember using a mini-tramp for spectacular jams, but we did not use it during the game because dunking was illegal then.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
I can remember using a mini-tramp for spectacular jams, but we did not use it during the game because dunking was illegal then.
What?! Mini-tramps weren't?!?
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

[
Quote:
That's odd. The weirdest thing that ever happende to me was that a coach thought I was right! Made me worry about my judgement. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know I have noticed that every time I make a call one coach thinks I am wrong and the other coach thinks I am right? I just don't understand it!
Old Sun Jun 12, 2005, 03:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
What?! Mini-tramps weren't?!?
http://www.classicjazzguitar.com/ima...e_in_cheek.jpg

Guess you couldn't tell about the tongue-in-cheek thing.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a HS game in the early 1990's and had 2 kids, probably Jr. Hi aged, come up to me prior to going out on the court and they asked about this exact stunt. I told them it would be a technical on the player providing the lift. I think at the time, the Fed book only gave the "lifting" language, but it may be the same rule as referenced here.

Unless there is a fed case play or AR to the contrary (haven't seen a Fed book in years), I don't believe this would be a double technical situation for one team doing it (i.e. a teammate lifting another one). The "or" is there to cover both situations of two guys on the same team doing it, and one guy doing it on the back of an opponent (ala one of the Porky's movies!).

I could be wrong, and there could be a ruling on this, but absent that, I think the spirit of the rule is one T for two guys on the same team doing this, since it is one unsportsmanlike act. On the other hand, if someone did this in a blowout game, I'd probably think seriously about an ejection for at least the "lifter." Depends on the exact circumstances, but I for sure would get with my partner(s).
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never had a mini-tramp but one of my buddies had a wild tale to tell about a mini-tramp when he was in the service back in '72......me luv you long time Joe!