The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

O.K. I'm doing the stretching religiously,(I do a lot of things religiously, actually!) and wearing great cross trainers or walking shoes or runners with really good inserts. I'm soaking in a hot tub nearly every day. I haven't been near a sweet of any kind for 7 weeks and have lost about 12 pounds. How long did it take those of you who have been down this road to get over this? I know what the Internet and my doc say. I was curious aboout your experiences.
It actually felt better when I was officiating soccer and moving more.

[Edited by refnrev on Jun 8th, 2005 at 11:11 PM]
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I actually had PF during football, not basketball. Once I started using orthotics, taping my foot, and stretching afterwards, the pain was pretty much gone in a few weeks.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Custom orthotics or the ones like the new Dr. Scholl's?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It took me about a year and a half to get rid of it. My podiatrist said it was because of some street shoes I was wearing. I didn't want to believe him, but I gotta admit, when I ditched the shoes, the problem went away.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

This type of swelling and pain won't usually go away right away and recovery is probably different for everyone. Sounds like you're doing alot of things right, stick with it and you get results.

What type of shoes do you wear when not working games? If possible, wear good supportive shoes ALWAYS and that will help bunches.

Are you taking anti-inflamitories? (SP?)

Good job on the 12LBS, I've done the same thing and wouldn't mind losing 12 more.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
What type of shoes do you wear when not working games? If possible, wear good supportive shoes ALWAYS and that will help bunches.
What my podiatrist says is that the most important thing for getting rid of PF is that the toe box allow ample room for your toes, especially the big toe. He thinks that if the big toe is held over toward the other toes, it aggravates the PF and then you won't get better until your toes have some time (months in my case) with more room. Here's how he told me to choose shoes. Pull out the insoles and lay them flat on the floor. Stand on them and make sure there is a margin of insole around the tracing of your foot. In other words, none of your foot, and especially the toes, should be touching the floor. There doesn't have to be a lot of extra insole, just enough to demonstrate that your feet will fit. He then showed me how to use lacing to keep my feet from sliding around. I also have orthotics, do taping, take anti-inflammatories, and stretch and ice after games. Once I got rid of the offending street shoes, it's finally starting to get under control.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Custom orthotics or the ones like the new Dr. Scholl's?
My insurance wouldn't pay for custom orthotics, so the podiatrist recommended Spenco Orthotics. They're an over the counter item, usually found at independent drug stores, as opposed to chain stores. They're not the soft, cushy type. They're hard plastic with support for the arch. You can Google to learn more and to find where you can buy them online.

But truthfully, within 3-4 weeks, the inflammation was gone and I was pain free. I continue to use them now, along with better causal and work shoes, like Rockports.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Once I got rid of the offending street shoes, it's finally starting to get under control.
You mean these?

I don't understand how these shoes would cause foot problems...

And, yes Mark, they would look GREAT with fishnets.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Once I got rid of the offending street shoes, it's finally starting to get under control.
You mean these?

Yea, I'm a fashion model in my spare time. And if you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell real cheap.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
You mean these?

Yea, I'm a fashion model in my spare time. And if you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell real cheap.
Hey...you can't fool me!

With today's real estate prices there's no such thing as cheap ocean front property in Oklahoma!
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Take a check?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Da'Feet

refnrev:

Just my 2 cents, but by and large, listen to the folks here.

My brother-in-law happens to be foot doctor and handles almost all the athletes at Brown University in Rhode Island. Mostly he deals with runners of all sorts and he himself has run the Boston Marathon several times including this year. Avid biker too, and handed me his older Cannondale with 25,000 miles, yes, that's 25,000, on it! So he's pretty in tune with athletes.

My point? Orthodics! It's nice to have a Dr. in the family, and he did fit me with permanent ones and what a difference. Both my kids he fit at a very early age and it corrected a lot of problems no one really saw, not to mention making ones for my son (again) who is a distance runner as well as my daugher who runs. Actually video tapes the back of your legs while you walk and then run on a treadmill. It was an interesting process to see in action.

So, there is no substitue for good orthodics. Yea, I know they can cost several hundred dollars, but I had a coach a long time ago tell us to take care of your feet or when you are older, you will pay a hefty price, not to mention that other parts of the body can hurt and one can cope with the pain, but when your feet are in pain, it's a pretty miserable life.

My orthodics are to be used in my running, hoop, and officiating shoes. They are not made for dress shoes, but he is very opinionated about wearing correct dress and casual shoes too.

I guess you could try some of the over the counter stuff, but if you want to really get rid of the pain, you need to see a foot doctor and especially one that handles a lot of runners. These guys can, and do make a real difference.

Since I got mine 2 years ago, my problem is now non-existant, but they do take a while to get used to.

goose
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

My doctor actually recommended the "over the counter stuff." He suggested I try them first, before spending the money since insurance wouldn't pay it. They worked great for me. But he didn't recommend the soft insoles. They're cushy but they just don't do the job.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
My doctor actually recommended the "over the counter stuff." He suggested I try them first, before spending the money since insurance wouldn't pay it. They worked great for me. But he didn't recommend the soft insoles. They're cushy but they just don't do the job.
My doctor sold me a pair of expensive "over the counter" soles. They are pre-made, but a little more adaptable. They're not anywhere near as expensive as custom made ones, but he trimmed them to fit my feet, and he made some adjustment in the arch which I didn't understand. They are great, and have lasted quite a while. The brandname is SuperFeet. I've never seen them in the stores.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, patent leather high heels aside, what are orthodics and how do they help? I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid these types of problems, but every now and then I'll get sore shins, or feel a tweak in my achillies, and just wondering if it is shoe-related. I know there's no way to stop old age, but what else should I be aware of? Are these items basically well-made Dr. Scholl's insole pads, or are they more like a brace? If they fit inside your shoes, do you have to get the next size larger shoe to accomidate them? Any info would be helpful. I've found the older I get, I realize I know more than I ever did AND know way less than I thought I did.

(Used with permission.)