Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
My doctor actually recommended the "over the counter stuff." He suggested I try them first, before spending the money since insurance wouldn't pay it. They worked great for me. But he didn't recommend the soft insoles. They're cushy but they just don't do the job.
My doctor sold me a pair of expensive "over the counter" soles. They are pre-made, but a little more adaptable. They're not anywhere near as expensive as custom made ones, but he trimmed them to fit my feet, and he made some adjustment in the arch which I didn't understand. They are great, and have lasted quite a while. The brandname is SuperFeet. I've never seen them in the stores.
I use SuperFeet in my Ski Boots. They're great. They have several options depending on shoe style and useage. I've not tried them in anything else yet. They're not really that expensive...under $40 for most models....one line is a bit more.

I bought them at REI. I've also seen them at other sporting goods stores such as Copeland Sports. Doing a search on the http://www.superfeet.com, they're available at dozens of places within 20 miles of my home.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Orthotics are basically insoles for your shoes. But they aren't meant to cushion the foot. They provide support for the arches and help the overall health of the foot by providing more support than a standard shoe. A lot of heel pain is caused by lack of arch support. The OTC products are usually made of hard plastic with a cloth lining.

Orthotics that are fitted by a podiatrist can cost several hundred dollars but are custom made to your foot. Actuallly, I've never seen the custom fits, so I don't know how they differ. The better OTC products will run $20 to $50 and work for many people. Others have to have the custom jobs.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jun 9th, 2005 at 08:35 PM]
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef, and Camron - thanks. I checked out the SuperFeet website, and there are even a few dealers here in my neck of the woods in case I ever need to go that route.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Ok, patent leather high heels aside, what are orthodics and how do they help? I guess I've been lucky enough to avoid these types of problems, but every now and then I'll get sore shins, or feel a tweak in my achillies, and just wondering if it is shoe-related. I know there's no way to stop old age, but what else should I be aware of? Are these items basically well-made Dr. Scholl's insole pads, or are they more like a brace? If they fit inside your shoes, do you have to get the next size larger shoe to accomidate them? Any info would be helpful. I've found the older I get, I realize I know more than I ever did AND know way less than I thought I did.
Sore shins or shin splints are easiest to get rid of by exercises. Around the house, walk on your heels only, no whole foot. Never any problem again. Of course, you have to explain to your kids and your wife's friends why you are looking like a dork...
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Of course, you have to explain to your kids and your wife's friends why you are looking like a dork...
I've been doin' that for years, and I haven't even started the exercises yet.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Custom orthotics or the ones like the new Dr. Scholl's?
My insurance wouldn't pay for custom orthotics, so the podiatrist recommended Spenco Orthotics. They're an over the counter item, usually found at independent drug stores, as opposed to chain stores. They're not the soft, cushy type. They're hard plastic with support for the arch. You can Google to learn more and to find where you can buy them online.

But truthfully, within 3-4 weeks, the inflammation was gone and I was pain free. I continue to use them now, along with better causal and work shoes, like Rockports.
I used a pair of Spenco sport insoles this weekend and could not believe how great my feet felt afterward (14 games) got them at FootAction.

It was one of the few parts of my body which didn't hurt.

I need to stop taking off those three months to coach baseball!

[Edited by stmaryrams on Jun 20th, 2005 at 01:54 PM]
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
I used a pair of Spenco sport insoles this weekend and could not believe how great my feet felt afterward (14 games) got them at FootAction.

It was one of the few parts of my body which didn't hurt.

I need to stop taking off those three months to coach baseball!
Great!! Glad to hear that they worked for you!
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

The heel has been feeling great. Then I went out to the college soccer field and kicked the ball around with my son last night. He's working on getting ready for camp ad the Fall HS season. Today my heel feels like it's going to fall off. This getting old thing is not for sissies!
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
[/B][/QUOTE]

if you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell real cheap. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oklahoma actually has more shore line than both the east and west coasts combined. However, you won't see any surfer dudes or sharks and very little salt water.