The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My youngest son was extremely slow to talk. In the process of diagnosing and treating his speech delays, we encountered a number of other children with "developmental delays" some more serious than others. One of the things that can be a hindrance to a child's normal development is called toe-walking. The child walks only on tip-toe. It affects their balance and the muscle development in their legs and pelvis, and if not "therapized" can be a serious problem later in life. Generally, physical therapy is sufficient to treat the condition, but it can take years for the child to be considered completely normal.

This weekend, I worked a tournament with a pair of twins on one team who ran primarily on their toes! I've seen a few girls play like this, but these were both boys (identical twins). They were fairly short, but not late in developing the male bony structure in the face, so I doubt they are gender-challenged. But they both ran and walked mostly on tiptoe. It was a low tip-toe, not clear stretched up, but definitely no heels. Except when there were walking normally, or flat out running, it was toes, toes, toes. I just wonder if they'd been toe-walkers as babies.

I was impressed with their skill, especilaly for their size. They both could hit 3's like crazy, and they were extremely fast, and skilled ball-handlers. Their team didn't win much, but it wasn't due to them. I wouldn't be surprised if a college wouldn't give them scholarships because they could be a serious asset. But it was fascinating to see them play, since they have such an unusual gait.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie,
Did it affect their speed? I've known of one player who did this -- watched him in JUCO when we were in school togther 100 years ago. He went on the play D-1 ball but he wasn't very fast.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Juulie,
Did it affect their speed? I've known of one player who did this -- watched him in JUCO when we were in school togther 100 years ago. He went on the play D-1 ball but he wasn't very fast.
They were very fast. Everyone sprints on their toes. We also all use toes only when we accelerate. So in that sense, they had only acceleration! If one of them caught the ball near the defender's basket and was heading back the other way, he would be on toes clear until mid court (94 ft floor). About the division line, they'd use a regular heel-toe step for a few steps, and then toes-only to slow down and maneuver. The maneuvering steps were small and very rapid. They had great weaving in-and-out, but didn't drive often, since they both had good jump-shot. I suspect they are too short to get away with a lay-up much.

I began to watch other players' feet, and saw a clear difference between these two, and others' gaits, if that's the right word. They did walk normally when they were going to get a drink, for instance, and they also jogged normally, with heel-toe-heel-toe steps, so I dont think they're totally abnormal. Just an interesting thing to notice and wonder about.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Since you were watching the players' feet so closely, was it easier to make traveling calls that game?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Since you were watching the players' feet so closely, was it easier to make traveling calls that game?
Well, of course. I was also sitting on the bench which gave me a much better angle!
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 06:53pm
Huck Finn

Is this sort of the way Alonzo Mourning walks/runs?
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 08:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Were they driven to the game in a toe truck?

Sorry - couldn't help it. Please pass the meds.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Wow, that's very punny! Please, ma, make him stop!
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:13am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:

Wow, that's very punny! Please, ma, make him stop!
According to my former 8th grade English teacher, Mrs. Baumann, this is the worst pun ever:

A court jester kept making puns in front of the king. The king put him in a cell and told him he wouldn't let him out until he promised to stop making puns. After a few days, the king visited the jester in his cell and asked him if he was ready to stop making puns and come out. The jester replied, "O-pun the door".
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

According to my former 8th grade English teacher, Mrs. Baumann, this is the worst pun ever:

A court jester kept making puns in front of the king. The king put him in a cell and told him he wouldn't let him out until he promised to stop making puns. After a few days, the king visited the jester in his cell and asked him if he was ready to stop making puns and come out. The jester replied, "O-pun the door".
Acording to Games Magazine (iirc), this is the best pun ever:

Three brothers get together and decide to open a cattle ranch. They can't figure out what to name the ranch, so they ask their father. He suggests that they name it "Focus" because it's where the sun's rays meet.

Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

GROAN! Somebody put me out of my misery before somebody posts another pun, please!