Thread: Toe-walking
View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My youngest son was extremely slow to talk. In the process of diagnosing and treating his speech delays, we encountered a number of other children with "developmental delays" some more serious than others. One of the things that can be a hindrance to a child's normal development is called toe-walking. The child walks only on tip-toe. It affects their balance and the muscle development in their legs and pelvis, and if not "therapized" can be a serious problem later in life. Generally, physical therapy is sufficient to treat the condition, but it can take years for the child to be considered completely normal.

This weekend, I worked a tournament with a pair of twins on one team who ran primarily on their toes! I've seen a few girls play like this, but these were both boys (identical twins). They were fairly short, but not late in developing the male bony structure in the face, so I doubt they are gender-challenged. But they both ran and walked mostly on tiptoe. It was a low tip-toe, not clear stretched up, but definitely no heels. Except when there were walking normally, or flat out running, it was toes, toes, toes. I just wonder if they'd been toe-walkers as babies.

I was impressed with their skill, especilaly for their size. They both could hit 3's like crazy, and they were extremely fast, and skilled ball-handlers. Their team didn't win much, but it wasn't due to them. I wouldn't be surprised if a college wouldn't give them scholarships because they could be a serious asset. But it was fascinating to see them play, since they have such an unusual gait.