The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2001, 12:09pm
Suppref

It was great!!!

Most of the guys were receptive to April Fools day.
First I walked in on crutches. Then I borrowed Football pants and a white hat. I used the fake toss for the jump ball. On the first foul call I threw the yellow flag at the offender, hit him right in the ..."package". He threatened to sue the league. The best thing was as the trail, the defense made a steal and on the fastbreak with noone within 30 feet of him, the shooter missed the layup, so I blew the whistle and called a foul on Claude Raines (he was the invisible man in the old black and white movies). It was really refreshing to get away from all the seriousness for a day. But it only worked because the players were receptive to a joke, even though it was semi finals. BTW there was very little crying from the players. One guy shouted at me and I used the "I'm blind not deaf" line Thanks for all your suggestions it was alot of fun!!!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: It was great!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
... so I blew the whistle and called a foul on Claude Raines (he was the invisible man in the old black and white movies).
Did anyone understand this besides the grandfathers and grandmothers in the stands?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2001, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It was great!!!

Quote:
Most of the guys were receptive to April Fools day.
First I walked in on crutches. Then I borrowed Football pants and a white hat. I used the fake toss for the jump ball. On the first foul call I threw the yellow flag at the offender, hit him right in the ..."package". He threatened to sue the league. The best thing was as the trail, the defense made a steal and on the fastbreak with noone within 30 feet of him, the shooter missed the layup, so I blew the whistle and called a foul on Claude Raines (he was the invisible man in the old black and white movies). It was really refreshing to get away from all the seriousness for a day. But it only worked because the players were receptive to a joke, even though it was semi finals. BTW there was very little crying from the players. One guy shouted at me and I used the "I'm blind not deaf" line Thanks for all your suggestions it was alot of fun!!!
You're one sick puppy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2001, 07:03am
Suppref

Re: Re: It was great!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
... so I blew the whistle and called a foul on Claude Raines (he was the invisible man in the old black and white movies).
Did anyone understand this besides the grandfathers and grandmothers in the stands?
Even though this is an over 30 league there are a number of guys close to,or over 40. They thought it was funny.

And yes, I've been known to do some "sick puppy" things in my day. I just try to have some fun every day, After all the bad things that happen to people, myself included, I try to go through each day with the glass half full (as long as it's not half full of single malt scotch! )