The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Quick over and back question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20498-quick-over-back-question.html)

lukealex Mon May 23, 2005 10:27am

Is it over and back if A1 (who is in the FC) passes to A2 who has jumped from the BC, catches the ball in mid-air and lands in the FC?

SeanFitzRef Mon May 23, 2005 10:33am

YES.

M&M Guy Mon May 23, 2005 10:35am

Yep.

A2 has the same status as where they last touched - BC.

SeanFitzRef Mon May 23, 2005 10:35am

A2 must establish court position in the front court. Team possession has already been established in the front court by A1. A2 has to take at least one step in the front court to be established.

lukealex Mon May 23, 2005 10:40am

Would the same rule apply if the player was out of bounds, caught the ball in mid-air, then landed in bounds?

M&M Guy Mon May 23, 2005 10:43am

Yep, same theory.

Man In Blue Mon May 23, 2005 10:45am

So- are you still angry at the official that got it right?

lukealex Mon May 23, 2005 11:05am

Nope, that would be me that got it right, would like to be able to show the team (rec ball) and other ref who thought I was so wrong how right I actually was though :D

ChrisSportsFan Mon May 23, 2005 11:25am

Just remember that you are where you are until you get where you're going.

rainmaker Mon May 23, 2005 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Yep, same theory.

Same theory, but it's not a back-court violation, it's an oob violation. Same result, but different signal.

lukealex Mon May 23, 2005 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I didn't think that always worked since on in-bounds situations there isn't any team control - a player can jump from FC, catch ball mid-air, land in BC, not a violation. But if a player was OOB for some odd reason and there wasn't team control (in-bounds, shot attempt, etc.) it would still be a violation since the player came from OOB and touched the ball before touching the court in bounds, assuming a violation wasn't called when the player was OOB.

Robmoz Mon May 23, 2005 12:36pm

Quote:

If you follow this simple little phrase you will always remember and be able ot explain it when the players and coaches go nutz!

rockyroad Mon May 23, 2005 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lukealex
Quote:

I didn't think that always worked since on in-bounds situations there isn't any team control - a player can jump from FC, catch ball mid-air, land in BC, not a violation. But if a player was OOB for some odd reason and there wasn't team control (in-bounds, shot attempt, etc.) it would still be a violation since the player came from OOB and touched the ball before touching the court in bounds, assuming a violation wasn't called when the player was OOB.

You are correct...it's stated as an EXCEPTION in the rules book....

Mark Padgett Mon May 23, 2005 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:

If you follow this simple little phrase you will always remember and be able ot explain it when the players and coaches go nutz!

Actually - it's "You are where you were 'till you get where you're going."

M&M Guy Mon May 23, 2005 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Yep, same theory.

Same theory, but it's not a back-court violation, it's an oob violation. Same result, but different signal.

Agreed - I was just going with the quick answer trying to point out that it was a violation as well. I also wanted to avoid long answers and words rhyming with "truck".

Now, I am at work and I am going to lunch.