The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Actually, I heard two of them today.

1) Middle of second quarter, B1 commits an obvious foul, we put A1 on the line to shoot one-and-one. She hit the first, missed the second, B gets the rebound, as B is bringing the ball back the other way, coach is complaining about having only 3 team fouls. I ignore him, because I know I called at least 4 myself. He requests a TO, I grant it and he starts in about how we weren't paying attention and blah, blah, blah (his team was ahead by 15 at this point). I listen patiently for a minute, and then say, "Coach, I'm sorry, I don't understand the point of what you're trying to say." He says, "This is the second quarter. We only have 3 team fouls in the second quarter, so they shouldn't have shot those free throws." I still don't get his point, (remember I haven't been watching a lot of NBA!) and I say, "Coach you have 9 team fouls in the first half. The count doesn't start over until the second half." He looks at me blankly for about two seconds, and then says, "But we've only got 3 team fouls in this quarter." The light finally dawns, and I say, "Coach this is straight high school rules. Team foul count doesn't start over until the second half. This is your time out. Your girls need an explanation." After the time out, he looked at the other coach with his eyebrows up. That coach kindly and quietly said, "The rules are different from the NBA."

2) Near the end of the third quarter, the game is very close with lots of ties and lead changes. At this point, A is ahead by maybe 2 or 3, and they have the ball at their end of the floor. A1 drives down the sideline to the endline, turns sharply toward the basket and drives hard to get the lay-up. I didn't get a good look at the play, since I was trail, and I had my hands full with a couple of pairs of players posting up, and a defender who already had 4 fouls from chucking the cutter. I think the dribbler and the cutter-chucker were the only ones involved, and the contact was severe enough that they both ended up on the floor. I'm sure the defense didn't have LGP, but I don't know what the dribbler did that may have caused contact. Anyway, my partner no-called it, the ball squirted out of bounds, and P awarded the ball to the defense. As players were getting ready for the in-bounds, Coach A, who was right in my ear is howling about the no-call. He then says to me, "So was that all ball?" I turn and look at him. I'm thinking, "WHAT?!?!" He says, "I'm just asking, it's just a question. Was that all ball?" I said, "No, I think there was some contact." He says, "Okay, I'm just asking, that's all, I just wondered what happened." The kicker is, this guy is a state tournament level hs ref.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

The first one is funny. The second one, I would have taken as him being a sarcastic pain in the a$$. I probably would have T'd him.

Old Sun May 22, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Coaches will be coaches.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The first one is funny. The second one, I would have taken as him being a sarcastic pain in the a$$. I probably would have T'd him.

I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You would have T'd him for that?

Peace
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Coaches

Juulie, many NBA coaches apparently move on to high school and grade school teams. I called a T one game, and the coach yelled at me, "Why is that a 2-shot technical?" I gave him my dumb look and said, "Is there another kind?"
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Wow. Great job, especially on coach #1! It aint easy hanging in there with the dad-coach-wannabe's.

All coach #2 wanted was to confirm you saw what he saw to make sure one or both of you weren't crazy. The fact that he backed off when you admitted there was contact you passed on tells me he's a guy you could work with.

As for me...7 games over 2 days. Final score: 6 T's & 1 ejected coach on day 1.

No problems day 2, I guess these guys got the message.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 06:26pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Will someone explain to me why officials feel this way? IMO, I wouldn't have T'd this guy for what he did, but I have heard lots of officials say that they didn't want to give the coach the satisfaction of getting a T. I have never understood the line of thinking that they use. IMO, if a coach want a T, give it to him.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
IMO, if a coach want a T, give it to him.
Change that to "if a coach earns a T, give it to him.

Old Sun May 22, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will someone explain to me why officials feel this way? IMO, I wouldn't have T'd this guy for what he did, but I have heard lots of officials say that they didn't want to give the coach the satisfaction of getting a T. I have never understood the line of thinking that they use. IMO, if a coach want a T, give it to him.
I agree, by not giving a T you hurt your crew and your colleagues who arae going to have that coach next week.

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Change that to "if a coach earns a T, give it to him.
I'll give a coach a T if he wants one or if he earns it.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A coach's team is getting blown out and he wants to get tossed. Many officials think if we have to watch the rest of this mess so do they.

I can see their point.

Not a blow out, but a team is overmatched and out coached so some coaches will use a T to deflect his and his team's short comings.

Again I can see the point. I told a coach in this situation once, "Coach we have nothing to do with that score, so don't go there looking for an excuse."
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

The expert's opinion ,

The easiest T to give is when they want it. Several quotes I've heard and responded to,

"Why don't you call something!!" WHACK

"Aren't you going to call a foul" WHACK

"Where's the foul" WHACK

"Call it both ways" WHACK followed by football style reporting (both to the bench side and the spectators side of the court)

And the final one,

"Why don't you just T me up then" WHACK

In all these situations there was previous stuff that led upto this, so I just didn't arbitrarily Whack the coaches.

If he's asking me for it, then I'm more than happy to oblidge.

And I don't care if he's getting any satisfaction from it, as the satisfaction I'm getting is far greater

(just kidding with that last point, I'm not going out of my way to T up coaches, but if it happens, then it happens.)

General Otis T Whackenator has spoken LOL!!!

(what a great 1600th post )
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

A coach's team is getting blown out and he wants to get tossed. Many officials think if we have to watch the rest of this mess so do they.

I can see their point.
The rest of the game will be more enjoyable for me if I don't have to listen to the coach

If he deserves to be tossed he's getting tossed.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 10:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - as you know, whether or not a coach wants "satisfaction" by getting a T has no bearing on whether I call it or not. The determining factor is whether or not it will give me satisfaction.

As you also know, I am satisfied an awful lot.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't explain why others feel this way. I don't always feel this way. But this guy thinks I'm a lousy ref, and he has felt free to say so even when we're partners. If I'd T'd him for that, it would have confirmed his opinion of me. Instead, I was able to back him down a little, and he had to respect my cool head. Frankly, I agreed with him about the play. I'd have called a foul from what I saw. But when I've been his partner in the past, he's sold me out to a coach. I wasn't going to do that to my partner. So I just made a neutral comment, and left. It felt great. Oh, and by the way, his team won in the end. So I didn't need to give the T to make the game better. In fact, now that I think about it, I think he should stick to coaching, and quit reffing entirely!