The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok - I know this is going to sound strange, but.... Is there a combined height limitiation of the 5 players on the court at one time? The height being 35ft! Yup that's 5 - 7 footers. If any one has any comments on this one I would really appreciate it. I can't find any documentation to discredit it but I find it hard to believe.

no insults - please.
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tonycap on 12-16-1999 02:02 PM
Ok - I know this is going to sound strange, but.... Is there a combined height limitiation of the 5 players on the court at one time? The height being 35ft! Yup that's 5 - 7 footers. If any one has any comments on this one I would really appreciate it. I can't find any documentation to discredit it but I find it hard to believe.

no insults - please.

Yes. And for HS ball, there's a minimum, too. If the five players don't add up to 350" (that's an average of 5' 10") for boys or 325" (5' 5") for girls, then the team is allowed to have a sixth player on the court, if the coach notifies the officials and the opposing coach at the time the linups are put into the book (10 minutes before game time). This extra person must wear a contrasting jersey (similar to a soccer goalie requirement) and must stay in 3-point territory on each side of the court.

Also, Santa is coming for a visit next week.
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Smile

Have never seen this rule ever. Sounds like a good idea. Being 5'11", get 4 short guys and I can play center for a change.
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 12-16-1999 03:06 PM
Yes. And for HS ball, there's a minimum, too. If the five players don't add up to 350" (that's an average of 5' 10") for boys or 325" (5' 5") for girls, then the team is allowed to have a sixth player on the court, if the coach notifies the officials and the opposing coach at the time the linups are put into the book (10 minutes before game time). This extra person must wear a contrasting jersey (similar to a soccer goalie requirement) and must stay in 3-point territory on each side of the court.

Yep that's in page 402 in the NHSF rule book and in page 307 of the NHSF mechanics manual.
By the way, is the jolly guy using the reindeer this year or the new Boing 787?
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 07:09pm
In Memoriam

Sometimes, in Jack & Jill, (Boys and girls on the same tourney team), there is a maximum combined height you can put on the floor.
mick
Old Sun Dec 19, 1999, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 12-16-1999 03:06 PM

And in the points of emphasis, there's a footnote that says the team with 6 players gets to hang from the rim every time they slam dunk. I think they can slap the backboard without penalty also!
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 12:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

I'm sure by now that tonycap has realized there is no such rule. I am curious, however, that he (I assume tonycap is male) says he can find no documentation to discredit it. My question therefore would be: where did he find this "rule" stated in the first place. Also, if it was true, it would be a real hassle to administer under FIBA rules, since you'd have to convert everything to metric

BTW - this reminds me of a statement I use all the time when a team comes out of a timeout or starts a quarter with too many or too few players. I go over to the bench and say, "Coach - new rule this year - you get 5 players!!!" 99% of the time they laugh.

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited December 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited December 19, 1999).]
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by J.Albers on 12-19-1999 10:26 PM
And in the points of emphasis, there's a footnote that says the team with 6 players gets to hang from the rim every time they slam dunk. I think they can slap the backboard without penalty also!

Be careful of the slapping the backboard. There are situatins, where ther are no penalty or violations .

Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by J.Albers on 12-19-1999 10:26 PM

Be careful of the slapping the backboard. There are situatins, where ther are no penalty or violations .

Old Tue Dec 28, 1999, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know if this is a rule for the entire united states or just for certain states. I live in N.D. and have never heard of this rule and have never seen anyone use a 6th man on the floor. Curiously wondering.
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 02:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Peterson on 12-28-1999 08:14 PM
I would like to know if this is a rule for the entire united states or just for certain states. I live in N.D. and have never heard of this rule and have never seen anyone use a 6th man on the floor. Curiously wondering.

Trudy, it is only a rule for teams that play on odd numbered leap years in states whose state capitol name contains an even number of letters and consists of only left handed players who have braided hair, but only on one side of their head, and wear stiped uniforms with their underwear on the outside plus velcro shoes but only colored pink unless the game is held on a Tuesday on an ice hockey rink.

Other than that, it's not a rule.
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 12-29-1999 01:30 AM
Trudy, it is only a rule for teams that play on odd numbered leap years in states whose state capitol name contains an even number of letters and consists of only left handed players who have braided hair, but only on one side of their head, and wear stiped uniforms with their underwear on the outside plus velcro shoes but only colored pink unless the game is held on a Tuesday on an ice hockey rink.

Other than that, it's not a rule.

Odd-numbered leap years. I like that...
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

THIS RULE IS FOR THE FOLLOWING ONLY :

HIGH SCHOOLS IN KENTUCKY AND POLAND
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I officiate Kentucky High School Basketball and after I had a friend from another state read the above comment to me, I was offended.

By the way, does anyone know of a good black paint that I can color my bare feet with so they will go with the rest of my uniform while on the floor. I want to look professional.

Happy New Year, Y'all.
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Welp - First of all I want to thank all you who replied to my question! Hopefully were all learned a little more more about the rules of b-ball. I knew all along this was one of those questions were it would take a few creative individuals to shed some real light on.

Also, special thanks to Mark Padgett and Richard Kreimer for taking the time to look this rule up and give a refence and actually copy word for word from the NHSF Rule Book!