The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But has been pointed out, Brian, it did happen in a big game. UCLA women in the NCAA tournament!! It happens.
Homer Simpson voice: Doh!

But that's why I said:
Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
good call, no matter the level.
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 05:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had a game on a non-regulation court this past season which had a restraining line 3 feet inside the court from the end lines because there was not sufficient room to inbound the ball without it. Pre-game we told captains an coaches that nobody could go in there to defend or receive a pass. No incidents until late in the 3rd qtr when an offensive player for the visitors went clearly into the zone to receive an inbound pass. The defender had stayed behind the restraining line. Advantage for the offense. Whistle for violation. Visitors coach went berserk because I had not called it all game [because there were no violations to that point]. But if the defender had gone into the zone alone and made the steal and no call was made, the coach would have gone berserk in the other direction.

Make the call because if a long pass had been completed for a layup at the other end and you had NOT made it, the other team would have been cheated. See 1972 Summer Olympics.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Thanks for the incites guys.
We try to minimize the incites and maximize the insights.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
I guess this is where my stupidity kicks in. You mean the player can step on the line as long as his foot is not touching the playing area.

By the way his foot was touching the inbounds area.

Just for my knowledge can I have where this is in the rule book?
Seeing the rules reference has already been posted, an easy way to remember this is "What would I do on a court where the out-of-bounds is indicated by an 8" band?"
Or even more, the Vanderbilt floor which has a band several feet thick.
Buuuuuuut . . . Vanderbilt is in the - wait for it - SEC.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Had similar situation in a game. Happened to be Special Olympics but that doesn't matter. Foul with 1 second left and the player made both throws to win. A parent later told me that refs shouldn't determine the outcome. I told him that if I called the foul, I determined the outcome. And if I didn't call it, I determined the outcome by giving the defense an unfair advantage. He just laughed and said he'd never thought of it that way.

You're going to get booed anyway, so get booed for doing the right thing.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess this is where my stupidity kicks in. You mean the player can step on the line as long as his foot is not touching the playing area.

By the way his foot was touching the inbounds area.

Just for my knowledge can I have where this is in the rule book?
Seeing the rules reference has already been posted, an easy way to remember this is "What would I do on a court where the out-of-bounds is indicated by an 8" band?"
Or even more, the Vanderbilt floor which has a band several feet thick.
Buuuuuuut . . . Vanderbilt is in the - wait for it - SEC.
You beat me to it!

But, seriously, how do you determine how thick the line really is? I know on TV I can see how wide it is, but I guess I've never really thought about how thick it might be.

Or how thick I might be...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

You beat me to it!

But, seriously, how do you determine how thick the line really is? I know on TV I can see how wide it is, but I guess I've never really thought about how thick it might be.

Or how thick I might be...
Well, a line has no thickness, which is why the painted "line" is entirely OOB.

I don't know about other gyms, but at GW, the OOB "stripe" is at least 3 feet wide on the baselines.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, a line has no thickness
If you talk to my wife, the paint chemist, she will call you out on that one. A painted line most certainly has a thickness (although it's usually measured in microns). I guess I was just wondering how many gallons it would take to make a line several feet thick?

(Man, I need to get back to work...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
If you talk to my wife, the paint chemist, she will call you out on that one. A painted line most certainly has a thickness (although it's usually measured in microns). I guess I was just wondering how many gallons it would take to make a line several feet thick?

(speaking geometry here)

No line has thickness, painted or otherwise. In fact, if it is a line, it has no end. The standard sideline is really a 2" x 84' rectangle. The inside edge of it is an 84' line segment. That painted line is actually a rectangular solid: it has length, width, and thickness.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That painted line is actually a rectangular solid: it has length, width, and thickness.
Exactly.

Which has nothing to do with the original question about where the OOB line is; I was just trying to point out the wastefulness of using soooo much paint to create a line several feet thick in...you guessed it...the SEC.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2
Had similar situation in a game. Happened to be Special Olympics but that doesn't matter. Foul with 1 second left and the player made both throws to win. A parent later told me that refs shouldn't determine the outcome. I told him that if I called the foul, I determined the outcome. And if I didn't call it, I determined the outcome by giving the defense an unfair advantage. He just laughed and said he'd never thought of it that way.

That's a peeve of mine, being told that refs shouldn't decide the game. The players decide the game, period. You have to call the rules correctly, without regard for the affect on the outcome of the game.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2

That's a peeve of mine, being told that refs shouldn't decide the game. The players decide the game, period. You have to call the rules correctly, without regard for the affect on the outcome of the game.
The players decided the real outcome. The refs just called attention to the reality.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks mplagrow and rainmaker. I wanted to tell the guy that told me this the same thing, but I didn't want him to think I was disrespecting him.

You have to respect your elders.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's not a line . . .

(I need to get back to work, too)