The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I have recently had some problems with patella tendonitis in my knee. I was just wondering if any of you all out there have had similar problems, and what you have done to treat it. I have two camps coming up this summer, and I don't want it to be an issue. I have been considering infrared treatment especially. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I have recently had some problems with patella tendonitis in my knee. I was just wondering if any of you all out there have had similar problems, and what you have done to treat it. I have two camps coming up this summer, and I don't want it to be an issue. I have been considering infrared treatment especially. Any advice is much appreciated.
I got my doctor to prescribe a portable morphine drip dispenser. It fits under my jersey. Every time I blow the whistle, it dispenses. It makes for some long games, but I really don't care by then.

Of course, it's available over-the-counter in Canada.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you carrying extra weight? Many knee problems are worse with excess weight.

You may have chondromalacia as well, or "runner's knee." The only two realistic therapies for this are rest and/or surgery.

I recently had a 2nd surgery on my knee called a trochlear microfracture surgery. I had no cartilage left from the wear and tear after knee reconstruction, so my doctor bored holes in the base of my femur to allow marrow to bleed out, clot, and hopefully form fibrocartilage. Of course then he told me to never run again, but that's obviously not an option if you're an official.

My physical therapist mentioned that to save on pain (tendonitis), make your officiating all the running you ever do. To stay in shape, do a lot of biking and swimming.

Of course there's the all-encompassing therapy too...rest, elevation, ice.

Good luck.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Trigger,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I am trying to put on a few more pounds. My doctor gave me one of those straps that alot of the players wear for jumper's knee. I will see if that helps. I think I will definitely take your advice and switch my training over to biking or swimming. As of right now, all of my x-rays look good, so I should be able to keep it under control that way.

Mark,

I may ask my doctor about the morphine drip. Now if I could figure out a way to hook it up to the coaches, so that every time I blew the whistle, they got a dose. . .that may make things a bit smoother!
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hope the pain goas away and stays away. Here's a couple of thing that might help as already stated:

1. The strap that you wear aroung the knee, just under the patella. I think it works. At first I had a lite brown pair and people asked if I had hot dogs on my knees. (when I wear short for summer games). Now I have some red ones ad everyone know why I wear them and I took away their best comedy.

2. Try to swim, bike, rollerblade or something to take the pounding off your knees when training.

3. Have a buddy who runs alot watch you run and evaluate your gait cycle. It could be that you have a hitch in your giddy-up that's causing undue stress.
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

1. STRETCH. All muscles, but especially leg muscles -- quads, hams and calfs.

2. STRETCH some more.

3. STRETCH (OK, did I make that perfectly clear?). Stretching will help blood flow to the area, and that's never bad.

4. I would try, or get an opinion from a therapist on, light squats. A great exercise is to use a Swiss ball between your back and a wall and prop the ball up going up and down. The ball gives your body good support, and you should be in a good position for squats. If you want to gradually add dumbells for weight, do so slowly.

5. Make darn sure you are in the best shoes you can find. You might need to consider going to running shoes and seeing if you can either order a pair in all black, or have a shoemaker die a good pair.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

When I had tendonitis in high school (only 5 years ago) the doctor made me take 9 advil a day--3 in the morning, afternoon, and at night.

It went away pretty quickly.