LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 06:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Re: Re: Blame CBS for Walton's knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

This has nothing to do with CBS and their fault. It is the responsibility of the announcer to educate themselves on what level they are doing. If they are going to be as openly critical as Walton is, at least have enough common sense to know the rules and the differences. I am sure the rules were not the same in HS and college and the NBA during all his time of playing.

All most of us are saying is that people all over the world watch these telecasts. I believe that in anything in the media, you should not go off talking about rules or anything if you have no knowledge of what the hell you are talking about is wrong.
I have to disagree with you, Rut. It's the responsibility of the network to hire commentators who are knowledgable about the game AND it's rules. It's no different than any other company that's hiring a person. Obviously, the person must possess some skill and knowledge. Alos, the best commentators do their homework. But that doesn't lessen the responsibility of the employer. If I'm a automobile mechanic, you shouldn't hire me to work on diesel trucks. Follow what I'm saying?

The only reason Walton is calling these games is because of his name and his availability. They also thought it would be "cute" for Bill to work his son's games. The choice to use a person who's been working NBA games for the last 10 years is a mistake. But the folks at CBS are no more knowledgable about the rules than Walton is. Therefore, they have no idea how bad he really is.

I respect your opinion on this. I just feel that if Walton is going to do college commentating, then he needs to educate themselves about some of the basics before he starts talking about how much the officials blew a call. Walton had been doing NCAA games with NBC before this year, so still that is no excuse. Most commentators are stupid and do not have a clue, but Walton is all over the top because he makes comments that he is not really aware of. He does not do this with just officials, he does this with players and coaches too. But CBS did hire him and they take some responsibility. But if I am hired at any job, my reputation is first and foremost on the line. I guess he does not know how to shut up after overcame his stuttering problem.

Peace.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have to agree with all of you on the comments that have been made about the annoucers from CBS this year covering the NCAA tournament. The games and officials have been GREAT! The announcing has been very poor!!
Take care.

Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
goaltending in relation to backboard

Mark,

The backboard has absolutely nothing to do with goaltending except in the professional ranks (and possibly FIBA, but I have no knowledge of their rules).

For goaltending to occur, all of these elements must be present: 1) it must be a try for goal 2) it must be above the rim 3) it must be on its downward flight, and 4) it must have a chance (in the eyes of the official) to go in.

Therefore, the ball could kiss the glass and still be on the upward flight on a layup and be swatted away legally by the defense. At the professional level, once the ball touches the board, the defense can't legally touch it.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

announcers should be held to the same standards as we are...

If I go from fed to NCAA games I am expected to knopw the rulles, regardles if I do fed every other game. Same with the NBA officials, if they go down to work NCAA they are expected to know the rules of the level they are working.

Why shouldn't announcers be held to the same standard? CBS is like a school, they hired him and assume by his credentials that he will know the proper set of rules. Wlaton fell on his face, so let's hope they don't bring him back. Besides, it hurts to listen to him talk. If stern wants to know why the NBA finals rating have dropped I have a suggestion.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: announcers should be held to the same standards as we are...

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
If I go from fed to NCAA games I am expected to knopw the rulles, regardles if I do fed every other game. Same with the NBA officials, if they go down to work NCAA they are expected to know the rules of the level they are working.
I totally agree with this. Announcers have an especially huge responsibility, since they influence so many people. What the announcer thinks about the coaches or the plays or the owners has some effect, but those people can speak up for them selves in the media and have some mitigating effect. We (presumptuously putting myself in with the NCAA tournament refs), however, very seldom get a chance to defend ourselves, even during the game itself, and especially not later to the public. And it affects even someone as lowly as me, since the public has only the announcers' words to go by. They don't EVER look at the discussion and comparison that this board constantly exercises. I would suspect that less than 10% of the general population even know that the different levels, leagues, and groupings have different rules. I wish, ta a mininum, that the announcers would be required to give a kind of "Don't try this at home" disclaimer, which would give a clue that the rules are different depending on the circumstances.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Announceritis

I agree with rainmaker. The annoumcers are on their soapbox proclaiming bad call or should have been this or that. The general public not knowing any better accept these views as rules in fact and this gives the officiating community a black eye. It would be nice if the network would hire an official to voice a rebuttal to the announcers wrong interpretation of the rules. I don't know how many times players and coaches insist they know the rules because they take as gospel the rantings of announcers of ball games.
Thanks I feel better now!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

For NCAA tournament . . .

During the tourney, at least, I think CBS is allowed to go with an NCAA media rep into the official's locker room after a game, where one of the officials or alternate official will answer questions regarding interpretations of plays during each game.

Also, I think NFL has a retired official available to announcers. Not like either of these options is used.