The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Was flipping thru the TV this weekend and happened to catch an NBA playoff game....don't remember which one (They all seem to be the same).
Anyway , Player A misses a shot and thinks he gets fouled . He then throws his arms up in the air and you can see he says something to the ref . As he is whining Team B is fast breaking and scores a hoop....after they score Ref blows the T a good 3 or 4 seconds after he left the whiner in the backcurt and followed the play . So if you are keeping score at home Team B scores the basket and is awarded the tech shot, after they shoot the tech Team A is issued the ball (All is good so far)
The analyst says they do not withhold the whistle in NCAA and they will blow the whistle right away . Is this correct ? I don't think it is but I have been known to be wrong....just for clarity the announcer was not BILLY PACKER
I know in Fed rules there is a provison for the withheld whistle to not take away a scoring opportunity from the non-offending team....I just assumed this would be the same in NCAA ?
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes the commentator was wrong. Should that really surprise you?

Peace
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Of course, the announcer is wrong. You should always assume that anything a TV commentator says is incorrect. You will be right far more frequently that way.

FYI, here are both the NCAA and NFHS rules:

NCAA

BR-143
RULE 10-8/FOULS AND PENALTIES
Art. 3. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.
A.R. 11. A1 is driving toward the basket when an official, while trailing the play and advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is sworn at by the coach of Team B. RULING: The official shall withhold the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the layup. The official then shall sound the whistle and assess the offending coach a direct technical foul, which could be flagrant.

NFHS

10.4.1 Situation E

Someone else will have to cut and paste this, as I don't have an electronic copy of the casebook.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Had the situation once in a game. A1 driving on a fastbreak after a turnover, withheld the whistle until team A missed the layup. Player from B came and shoved A2 in the back and pushed her to the floor during the drive. Afterwards, my evaluator told me I should have blown it dead right as the action happened, but since I got the call right, and didn't interrupt the action or prevent a basket, it was OK. Now I know I did the right thing.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 05:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Had the situation once in a game. A1 driving on a fastbreak after a turnover, withheld the whistle until team A missed the layup. Player from B came and shoved A2 in the back and pushed her to the floor during the drive. Afterwards, my evaluator told me I should have blown it dead right as the action happened, but since I got the call right, and didn't interrupt the action or prevent a basket, it was OK. Now I know I did the right thing.
You have to blow the play dead immediately if you call it an intentional/flagrant personal foul on the B player. If you call it an "unsporting act", you could delay your whistle and then call a technical foul.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Thanks, JR. I guess that would be a judgement call at the time of the action.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:21am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Thanks, JR. I guess that would be a judgement call at the time of the action.
Yup, and you exhibited real good judgement imo by delaying your whistle on that play. The "T" option doesn't take away the scoring chance. If you go the personal foul route instead, you could possibly be penalizing the offense slightly. Instead of the shooting team getting 2 for the basket followed by 2 FT's + possession, they woulda just got the 2 FT's + possession.

I think that you followed the purpose and intent of the reason that the "delayed whistle" call was implemented by the FED.