The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I still can't help but be nervous. Officiating basketball is what I want to do for a living and I truly love it and I am scared to all hell that I will not be recognized or they will think that I am just horrible. But I was also told that knowing nothing about three man might be an advantage because they can teach me what I need to know instead of me already having bad habits. We'll see. Thanks again for the support and advice.
I've only been to a few camps so far, but here's what I've learned.

Today is today. You are what you are. You have what ability you have. Go and do your best.

There are things you can control, and things you can't. Don't fret about what you can't control. Make the most of what you can control.

Stuff you can control includes:
  • Hustle
  • Rules knowledge
  • Willingness to learn
  • Never using the phrase "yeah, but"
  • Trying everything they tell you (if it doesn't work for you, you can discard it later)
  • Attitude

Some folks will get noticed for their ability, and may get moved along. Some folks will get noticed for their potential and attitude and hopefully will be remembered. But, at the end of the day, you'll come away knowing what you need to work on and what they're looking for.

Don't sweat the petty things; don't pet the sweaty things
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
[/B]
You are what you are. [/B][/QUOTE]Nope, I yam what I yam!!

Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To make it worse I have only worked three man once before. Tell me that doesn't help.
I've done many grade school games, but I've only done one freshmen game, and no three man games. My camp would be varsity high school boys. Figure that one out.

I am still young though, last days of high school myself, and can learn new aspects of refereeing in what I believe to be pretty fast.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the saddle thanks for the advice and you are right. I can't sweat the stuff I can't control, but I do and I need to get over it and just absorb every bit of knowledge at this camp that I can. My idols Zach Zarba and Sean Corbin are going to be there and I am going to try to learn everything I can from them.

Thanks again for the advice
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
don't pet the sweaty things
IOW, stay away from Chuck.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
Quote:
To make it worse I have only worked three man once before. Tell me that doesn't help.
I've done many grade school games, but I've only done one freshmen game, and no three man games. My camp would be varsity high school boys. Figure that one out.

I am still young though, last days of high school myself, and can learn new aspects of refereeing in what I believe to be pretty fast.
While you may look a bit out of place at first, it may be better to go to a camp with no 3-person mechanics experience whatsoever. (Depending, obviously, on the level of the camp - I wouldn't recommend this at an ACC tryout camp ) It's often easier to teach someone from scratch than to try to undo the bad habits they've already picked up.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
All you guys are talking about the instructors letting you know that you messed up more often than not by tough love. I feel mine will be worst of all. I am attending the IIOC camp for the SEC, Atlantic Sun, and Ohio Valley Confrences. Just if that pressure isn't enough listen to the guys coming to be instructors. All are NBA officials:

Zach Zarba, Kevin Fehr, Leon Wood, Courtney Kirkland,

Leroy Richardson, Phil Robinson, Tony Brown, Sean Corbin,

Scott Wall, Anthony Jordan, Bennie Adams, Eric Lewis,

Olandis Poole.

Hmmmm....a pattern emerges...

Maybe I'll just "wait for it" to reveal itself.