Thread: Camp.
View Single Post
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I am attending the IIOC camp for the SEC, Atlantic Sun, and Ohio Valley Confrences.

I don't know what IIOC stands for, but I went to Nunn-Better two years ago and Nat'l Pro-Am last year. Both those camps were run in conjunction with Mr. Guthrie's conferences. They were both very positive experiences. Soak it up.

Quote:
listen to the guys coming to be instructors:
Zach Zarba, Kevin Fehr, Leon Wood, Courtney Kirkland,
Leroy Richardson, Phil Robinson, Tony Brown, Sean Corbin,
Scott Wall, Anthony Jordan, Bennie Adams, Eric Lewis,
Olandis Poole..

Many of these guys were observers/clinicians at the camps I attended. I will tell you that Zach is a great guy. Very positive and LOVES to talk rules and situations. (He hung out with me for about an hour and a half during down-time of my USBL try-out a few years ago. Just the two of us. It was awesome.)

Phil is great to listen to. He's usually pretty laid back, unless he feels that you just aren't trying. Then he's "in your face" level of intense. But another great guy.

Sean Corbin is a great speaker. He talked to us about the elements of "professionalism" in being a top-flight official. Again, very approachable and great insights. I think Tony Brown was at Nunn-Better, but I honestly don't remember if I got much of a chance to talk with him.

Like I said, go and just soak it up.

Quote:
To make it worse I have only worked three man once before. Tell me that doesn't help.
Well, it will make things a little tougher for you b/c you're going to be worried about where you're standing instead of what you're looking at. Don't forget to officiate!! Having said that, most of the feedback will be about what you call or don't call, having a patient whistle, getting a good look.

Good luck, have a great camp. I'd love to hear how it goes for you, as I will not be attending that camp this year due to schedule conflicts.