The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I totally disagree with all JV games having a running clock. The JV game may seem meaningless to you, but how about to the kids and parents involved in the team. This is their game, they shouldn't have silly rules just so people don't have to hang around as long.

If you think the JV game is too long, don't show up until the Varsity starts.

Seems to me this would also be cheating the referees that are trying to improve and move up to varsity of some time.

If "getting the game done" is more important to you than improving your skills, then officiating may not be the place for you.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I always said I did not like the rule. The running clock only made the game go so fast. You might only knock off 10 minutes or so off the game. Also no one gets hurt in basketball like they do in football or even baseball. No one's arm is going to fall off if they play more basketball and no is going to get drilled into the ground by a vicious block or hit like football. These players in the summer play multiple games and they survive. The players can live a few more minutes and the players that sit on the bench can play. Like was said, the coaches would just use that moment to try to complain that we called the game differently.

Peace
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball
I totally disagree with all JV games having a running clock. The JV game may seem meaningless to you, but how about to the kids and parents involved in the team. This is their game, they shouldn't have silly rules just so people don't have to hang around as long.

Seems to me this would also be cheating the referees that are trying to improve and move up to varsity of some time.

If "getting the game done" is more important to you than improving your skills, then officiating may not be the place for you.
Good points. Let me state my opinion this way; reduce JV game minutes to be less than a Varsity game. Most leagues are allowing 8 minute quarters and this is way too long. I think you can get better officiating by having freshman games run with 6 minute quarters and JV at 7 minutes. Most of the catholic middle schools are using 7 minute quarters and they should be at 6. I feel you can referee with better game management while supervising so many fouls, time outs and miscellaneous stoppages that are not as prevalent in a Varsity game. Why do you think AAU games for 10u and 11u are played with less time than the other classifications? Too much stopping the clock and answering coachÂ’s questions, young players getting injured more frequently and so forth. What is your take on this?
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball

Good points. Let me state my opinion this way; reduce JV game minutes to be less than a Varsity game. Most leagues are allowing 8 minute quarters and this is way too long. I think you can get better officiating by having freshman games run with 6 minute quarters and JV at 7 minutes. Most of the catholic middle schools are using 7 minute quarters and they should be at 6. I feel you can referee with better game management while supervising so many fouls, time outs and miscellaneous stoppages that are not as prevalent in a Varsity game. Why do you think AAU games for 10u and 11u are played with less time than the other classifications? Too much stopping the clock and answering coachÂ’s questions, young players getting injured more frequently and so forth. What is your take on this?
What is it that drives your desire to see the JV game reduced in time? Because whatever it is, it can't possibly be about the kids. In case you missed the memo, this game is about the kids. It's their time in the spotlight. It's their opportunity to learn, compete and achieve. No athlete is less important just because he "only plays JV." No athlete is less significant just because you don't value the program he participates in. This game isn't about us, the coaches, the parents, the administrators, the media: It's about the kids. And since it's for them, why don't we ask them if they would like to play with a running clock or shortened quarters.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he needs to move to IL. Here, almost all schools play 8 min. qtrs. for varsity, and 7 min. for JV. I believe it is also 6 min. qtrs. for most grade school games. I don't know if that's different in the metro areas (JRut?), but that has been the norm around here for as long as I've been reffin'.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Maybe he needs to move to IL. Here, almost all schools play 8 min. qtrs. for varsity, and 7 min. for JV. I believe it is also 6 min. qtrs. for most grade school games. I don't know if that's different in the metro areas (JRut?), but that has been the norm around here for as long as I've been reffin'.

It used to be like yours, but as of today in my area, all high school games run 8 minute quarters and most middle schools run 7 minutes.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
We have similar quarter lengths here as well. The JV or sophomore games depend on conference. Usually they go 7 minutes for lower level games. At least the lower level games before the varsity the quarters are 7 minutes.

Peace
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

I think the mercy rule should be available for league adoption, or potentially written in as an option should both coaches agree on it. In the higher classifications, the mercy rule probably should be eschewed because coaches will have more players to manage and try to get some people some playing time. In smaller schools, without necessarily the same depth, these games could turn ugly and the propensity for hard fouls goes way up, and there is much less benefit to playing bench players. Mercy rule can be a good or a bad thing and the individual leagues should decide I think.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I think the mercy rule should be available for league adoption, or potentially written in as an option should both coaches agree on it. In the higher classifications, the mercy rule probably should be eschewed because coaches will have more players to manage and try to get some people some playing time. In smaller schools, without necessarily the same depth, these games could turn ugly and the propensity for hard fouls goes way up, and there is much less benefit to playing bench players. Mercy rule can be a good or a bad thing and the individual leagues should decide I think.
Apparently the NFHS agrees with much of what you suggest:

ART. 3 . . . A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. Playing time and number of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by mutual agreement of opposing coaches.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Mercy Rule

Rule was put in place for the student athlete, who were trying their best, to compete against a much more stronger athletic team and would not be embarrass by the score. Many of you have seen the frustration on young athletes when they are getting their butts kicked. It helped to eleviate some the the frustration and embarrasement, because the game would end quickly.

Problem is the coach. Up by 20-25 points and pressing. First team still in the game. I remember a team that went into the state tournament undefeated but did not have a bench. Why! Because they keep their top players on the floor. That coach would only put subs in with 2 minutes left on the clock.

We call the game as one sees it whether it is a running clock or a stop clock. Officials do not care if there is a stop or running clock. The officials only hope on a lopsided score that no student athlete gets hurt.