Thread: Mercy Rule
View Single Post
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball
I totally disagree with all JV games having a running clock. The JV game may seem meaningless to you, but how about to the kids and parents involved in the team. This is their game, they shouldn't have silly rules just so people don't have to hang around as long.

If you think the JV game is too long, don't show up until the Varsity starts.

Seems to me this would also be cheating the referees that are trying to improve and move up to varsity of some time.

If "getting the game done" is more important to you than improving your skills, then officiating may not be the place for you.
Good points. Let me state my opinion this way; reduce JV game minutes to be less than a Varsity game. Most leagues are allowing 8 minute quarters and this is way too long. I think you can get better officiating by having freshman games run with 6 minute quarters and JV at 7 minutes. Most of the catholic middle schools are using 7 minute quarters and they should be at 6. I feel you can referee with better game management while supervising so many fouls, time outs and miscellaneous stoppages that are not as prevalent in a Varsity game. Why do you think AAU games for 10u and 11u are played with less time than the other classifications? Too much stopping the clock and answering coachÂ’s questions, young players getting injured more frequently and so forth. What is your take on this?
What is it that drives your desire to see the JV game reduced in time? Because whatever it is, it can't possibly be about the kids. In case you missed the memo, this game is about the kids. It's their time in the spotlight. It's their opportunity to learn, compete and achieve. No athlete is less important just because he "only plays JV." No athlete is less significant just because you don't value the program he participates in. This game isn't about us, the coaches, the parents, the administrators, the media: It's about the kids. And since it's for them, why don't we ask them if they would like to play with a running clock or shortened quarters.