The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night in the Houston-Dallas game, Dallas led in the final seconds 103-100. Tracy McGrady was fouled and sent to the line. Before the first free throw, Yao Ming replaced Jon Barry. After McGrady missed the first free throw, Barry replace Ming.

Is is okay under NBA rules for Barry to come back in at this point, even though no time came off the clock?
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Couple interesting things about your question, Trigger. The first one is that the online rulebook at NBA.com doesn't include the section in Rule 3 that covers substitutes. So unfortunately, I have to type out my rule references from an old (01-02) rulebook that I have.

The second thing is that, if you are recounting the situation correctly, Ming should not have been allowed to sub into the game when he did.

Quote:
Rule 3, Section V - a: A substitute "may enter the game after the first of multiple free throws, whether made or missed."
So Ming should not have been allowed into the game until after the first FT, just like FED/NCAA.

The third interesting thing is that until about 15 minutes ago, I would've told you that Ming should not have been allowed to sub out when he did. In NCAA/FED, a player who is subbed out must stay out for a tick of the clock. I had thought (and I've said on this forum many times) that in the NBA, a player who is subbed into the game must stay in the game for a tick of the clock. But that's not how the rule actually reads:

Quote:
Rule 3, Section V - e: "Once a player is in the game, he cannot be removed until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court unless: (1) a personal foul is called, (2) there is a change of possession or (3) administration of infection control rule."
So the player who subbed in only has to stay in until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. And in your sitch, that happened when McGrady shot the first FT. There's no mention of the clock having to start. So it seems that Ming was subbed out legally.

So to answer your question, yes, it was fine for Barry to sub back into the game when he did. And it was even legal for Ming to sub out of the game when he did. However, Ming should not have been allowed to sub in when he did.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Dan_ref says, "NBA officials are the most highly trained, consistent & disciplined officials on the planet."

How in the world could this happen!!!!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by IUgrad92
Dan_ref says, "NBA officials are the most highly trained, consistent & disciplined officials on the planet."

How in the world could this happen!!!!
Dan-ref never said "NBA officials are incapable of making an error".

That's how.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's also possible that Trigger mis-remembered something. Who knows?