The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

How much movement would you allow a player to moved another player while screening?

I was watching the Stanford / St. Joes. game yesterday and I was wondering about a certain play.
The game had less then two minutes left. A St Joes player was driving to the hoop and he was fouled in the act of shooting on a lay up. ( I think the score was tied ) As I got to watch the replay it showed the low post player (St Joe off ball) pushing the Stanford player back towards the free throw line clearing a path for his player. In which the Stanford player fouled the shooter.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 07:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Movement

Movement during a screen is never illegal. So when you here some fans talk about "moving screen," they are clueless. It is always perfectly legal for a screener to move. What is illegal is the contact. And to be honest with you, unless the contact puts the defender at a great advantage, do not expect it to be called. With 10 players in constant movement, if officials called every time these players ran into each other, we would never stop blowing the whistle.

I did not see the play that you talk about, but unless it directly affected the play, or the contact was purposely rough, I am sure that the officials was not going to try to call it in that situation. But again, officials do mess up sometimes. We are only human.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by slickrick
How much movement would you allow a player to moved another player while screening?

I was watching the Stanford / St. Joes. game yesterday and I was wondering about a certain play.
The game had less then two minutes left. A St Joes player was driving to the hoop and he was fouled in the act of shooting on a lay up. ( I think the score was tied ) As I got to watch the replay it showed the low post player (St Joe off ball) pushing the Stanford player back towards the free throw line clearing a path for his player. In which the Stanford player fouled the shooter.
rick,
I saw that play only once. I concur with you that there was a foul and that it was missed. But, on a drive through the lane there is generally lots to look at, and I can understand the miss.
mick
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge

I think that you are being a little harsh on the fans. The rule book clear says in Rule 10-17 Section 19 Srticle 4 BR 121 "No player shall set a screen while moving". Yes I do agree that we will not be calling fouls every time 2 players dump into eachother but I do think there is such a thing as a moving screen. I do not think that it is prefectly legal for a screen to move into the path of a defender without giving proper space and time (one step). The rule book also says that the screen cannot set a screen out of the visual field of a defender without giving that one step space. So in both those cases I would call a blocking foul and if a coach was to ask I would say "He was not legally set" or even "He was still moving".
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Rut knows that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
JRutledge

I think that you are being a little harsh on the fans. The rule book clear says in Rule 10-17 Section 19 Srticle 4 BR 121 "No player shall set a screen while moving". Yes I do agree that we will not be calling fouls every time 2 players dump into eachother but I do think there is such a thing as a moving screen. I do not think that it is prefectly legal for a screen to move into the path of a defender without giving proper space and time (one step). The rule book also says that the screen cannot set a screen out of the visual field of a defender without giving that one step space. So in both those cases I would call a blocking foul and if a coach was to ask I would say "He was not legally set" or even "He was still moving".
Dewey1,
Rut's point, with which I agree, was that a screener can move all s/he wants, but until there is some contact due to that movement, we have nothing.
He points out that the fans want some kind of violation merely because the screener was moving, regardless of there being no contact.
Fans... yikes!
mick
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I see your point now. Sorry I was reading it differently before. Agreed until contact there is no foul.