The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

When the season started, many officials complained about the new FT mechanics. You know, lead administers all FTs and the trail or center doesn't step in. Some states didn't even implement the changes. So now that the season is over, how does everyone who used the new mechanics feel about them?

1- Did you have problems, as center or trail, remembering not to step into the lane?

2- Where there any problems with the wrong number of shots being awarded?

3- Did the change help the pace of the game?

4- Do you like the changes, now that you've used them for a season?

It just seems as there was so much complaining prior to the season, yet I didn't hear any griping after the season started. Perhaps it wasn't as bad as everyone thought it would be.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
When the season started, many officials complained about the new FT mechanics. You know, lead administers all FTs and the trail or center doesn't step in. Some states didn't even implement the changes. So now that the season is over, how does everyone who used the new mechanics feel about them?

1- Did you have problems, as center or trail, remembering not to step into the lane?

My HS partners had trouble stepping into the lane, when they had to, in Womens' game.

No problems. But when that lead doesn't physically acknowledge your signal for number of throws, you really wonder if he knows the number, or not.

I saved lots of steps by reporting from the far side of reporting area and then just signaling my partner and taking a few steps backward, but ya still should check the players, and the table, and tell the players, again, how many shots. No difference noticed.

I like it better than last year. Last year's mechanic was just ridiculous all year long. And you didn't have to do it, didja?

It just seems as there was so much complaining prior to the season, yet I didn't hear any griping after the season started. Perhaps it wasn't as bad as everyone thought it would be.
Well, gee.... in a District Tourney U.P. here I saw a Lead official signaling the number of throws on a one-and one (arms and hands extended with one finger at 2 o'clock and the other at 8:00 o'clock). It doesn't matter if the mechanics are new, used, or abused in some places.

mick
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 08:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only problem I had

Quote:

Not really. After the first 2 or 3 games in the summer, I had this down.

A couple of times, because either a player screen us off or my partner did not make good eye contact.

I think it did.

Yes, very much so.

I was concerned that officials were going to get lazy and not make good eye contact or not pay any attention to the other official giving the signal. At least the officials I worked with I thought things went well. But I did not realize that NCAA Men's Basketball went to the change. I did not realize this until I saw it in person at the Big 10 Tournament. Did they do this all season, or was I not paying that close attention while watching TV games?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 10:07pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: The only problem I had

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I was concerned that officials were going to get lazy and not make good eye contact or not pay any attention to the other official giving the signal. At least the officials I worked with I thought things went well. But I did not realize that NCAA Men's Basketball went to the change. I did not realize this until I saw it in person at the Big 10 Tournament. Did they do this all season, or was I not paying that close attention while watching TV games? [/B]
Rut,
I'm thinking that Mens' officials did the mechanic last year.
mick
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
1. No
2. No
3. Not that I noticed
4. It's better than 2 years ago HS mechanic, much much
better than last years.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 12:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: The only problem I had

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Rut,
I'm thinking that Mens' officials did the mechanic last year.
mick [/B]
Mick you could be absolutely correct. But I swear that they had the trail administering the first FT. But that was so long ago, I really do not know the answer.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I had no problems with myself or anyone else in the area. I think we pretty much started doing this last year, because it makes sense, so everyone adapted pretty quick.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 10:28am
Suppref

Thumbs up Thought it was great!

Quote:

No problems at all. Our board implemented an eye contact and signal to the new lead . After reporting to the table while walking to foul line extended we would make eye contact with the lead and visually signal number of free throws. it worked perfectly
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Thought it was great!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:

No problems at all. Our board implemented an eye contact and signal to the new lead . After reporting to the table while walking to foul line extended we would make eye contact with the lead and visually signal number of free throws. it worked perfectly
Isn't this the mechanic we should all be using?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

We made the change last year, we felt has an association that it did not make sense for the trail to step in and announce the number of shots, we had the trail step furhter into the lane on the first throw, this also allowed for better eye contact with the trail!

AK ref SE
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA men made the change to mimic the current high school practise this year. Last year the new center still administered the first throw, as NCAA women's officials still do.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jweiler
NCAA men made the change to mimic the current high school practise this year. Last year the new center still administered the first throw, as NCAA women's officials still do.
Any ideas as to why the Women's mechanic has not changed?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Like the change!

As many have said, This is the sensible and efficient method. As in all aspects of the game, communication with your partner(s) is essential.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 07:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Any ideas as to why the Women's mechanic has not changed? [/B]
When have you ever know the women's mechanics to be in line with the NF and Men's college? They probably will never change.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 11:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jweiler
Any ideas as to why the Women's mechanic has not changed?
If they were all the same, we wouldn't need all of "them".
There are a lot of "staffers" to be paid and a lot of positions that need to be justified.
mick