Thread: Illegal Screen
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Rut knows that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
JRutledge

I think that you are being a little harsh on the fans. The rule book clear says in Rule 10-17 Section 19 Srticle 4 BR 121 "No player shall set a screen while moving". Yes I do agree that we will not be calling fouls every time 2 players dump into eachother but I do think there is such a thing as a moving screen. I do not think that it is prefectly legal for a screen to move into the path of a defender without giving proper space and time (one step). The rule book also says that the screen cannot set a screen out of the visual field of a defender without giving that one step space. So in both those cases I would call a blocking foul and if a coach was to ask I would say "He was not legally set" or even "He was still moving".
Dewey1,
Rut's point, with which I agree, was that a screener can move all s/he wants, but until there is some contact due to that movement, we have nothing.
He points out that the fans want some kind of violation merely because the screener was moving, regardless of there being no contact.
Fans... yikes!
mick