View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
When the season started, many officials complained about the new FT mechanics. You know, lead administers all FTs and the trail or center doesn't step in. Some states didn't even implement the changes. So now that the season is over, how does everyone who used the new mechanics feel about them?

1- Did you have problems, as center or trail, remembering not to step into the lane?

My HS partners had trouble stepping into the lane, when they had to, in Womens' game.

2- Where there any problems with the wrong number of shots being awarded?

No problems. But when that lead doesn't physically acknowledge your signal for number of throws, you really wonder if he knows the number, or not.

3- Did the change help the pace of the game?

I saved lots of steps by reporting from the far side of reporting area and then just signaling my partner and taking a few steps backward, but ya still should check the players, and the table, and tell the players, again, how many shots. No difference noticed.

4- Do you like the changes, now that you've used them for a season?

I like it better than last year. Last year's mechanic was just ridiculous all year long. And you didn't have to do it, didja?

It just seems as there was so much complaining prior to the season, yet I didn't hear any griping after the season started. Perhaps it wasn't as bad as everyone thought it would be.
Well, gee.... in a District Tourney U.P. here I saw a Lead official signaling the number of throws on a one-and one (arms and hands extended with one finger at 2 o'clock and the other at 8:00 o'clock). It doesn't matter if the mechanics are new, used, or abused in some places.

mick