The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Been using Leather Luster for over 5 years. I also umpire and find that after a mud filled game, just run the shoes under a tap, wipe off excess water and they are brillent again. Swear by the stuff.

For an extra shine (if this is possible) I use Pledge the furniture polish. Quick spray, quick clean with a cloth and all the dirt is off and shoes are sparkling. Be careful the Pledge doesn't get on the floor...very slippery.

So now for some thoughts on applying. Ya gotta remove everything down to the bare leather. Use steel wool with lacquer thinner from a paint store. Once you think you are there, then another coat of lacquer thinner and rub off with a cloth. No black on the cloth?...then you are there.

Problem with lacquer thinner is that it stinks. So doing this in the TV room with the family isn't going to win you friends. Go outside or use a well ventilated place that will let the fumes out. Took 3 days in our hosehold to get the stench out. Not a popular guy.

The shoes have to completely dry before you apply the luster leather. Room temparture overnight usually does it.

Now apply the luster leather and let it dry. Outside in the sun is one way. But in the middle of winter, not so easy. Another way is to put your shoes in the oven at 120 degrees Fahrenheit (no higher otherwise you'll melt the rubber in your shoes) for half an hour then turn the oven off and leave in the oven overnight.

Hope this helps.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
John is dead on!!

Guys & Gals,

Follow John's advice. I'm in the military and I also swear by this stuff. There is no better product.

I use the oven also. I can strip my shoes, buff them with steel wool and apply three coats in one day. The initial work is tough, but once they're done, they're done.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Arduini
Been using Leather Luster for over 5 years. I also umpire and find that after a mud filled game, just run the shoes under a tap, wipe off excess water and they are brillent again. Swear by the stuff.

For an extra shine (if this is possible) I use Pledge the furniture polish. Quick spray, quick clean with a cloth and all the dirt is off and shoes are sparkling. Be careful the Pledge doesn't get on the floor...very slippery.

So now for some thoughts on applying. Ya gotta remove everything down to the bare leather. Use steel wool with lacquer thinner from a paint store. Once you think you are there, then another coat of lacquer thinner and rub off with a cloth. No black on the cloth?...then you are there.

Problem with lacquer thinner is that it stinks. So doing this in the TV room with the family isn't going to win you friends. Go outside or use a well ventilated place that will let the fumes out. Took 3 days in our hosehold to get the stench out. Not a popular guy.

The shoes have to completely dry before you apply the luster leather. Room temparture overnight usually does it.

Now apply the luster leather and let it dry. Outside in the sun is one way. But in the middle of winter, not so easy. Another way is to put your shoes in the oven at 120 degrees Fahrenheit (no higher otherwise you'll melt the rubber in your shoes) for half an hour then turn the oven off and leave in the oven overnight.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the instructions, John. I just bought it and my first attempt didn't go so well. The product wouldn't dry. I've been told that it won't dry if the old polish isn't fully removed. Your instructions will be helpful.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Question

Mike Sears: You say U can buy Leatherluster through the National Federation. Is that IAABO? Thanks.
Jamie O'D.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamieod
Mike Sears: You say U can buy Leatherluster through the National Federation. Is that IAABO? Thanks.
Jamie O'D.
http://www.leatherluster.com/

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by jamieod
Jamie O'D.
http://www.nfhs.org/catalog/EC-footb...%20Accessories
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Denny,

You can get this stuff at the BX.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

white shoes

Has anyone used the white leather luster?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

A product recommended to me by another official is called "Shape Up". I bought some from a referee equipment place for about $6. It's like a coat of plastic paint (applied with the included felt brush) so you don't want to put it on too often. I've probably done 25 games with the original coating and it still shines - tho I probably need to touch up some scuff marks. There's probably enough in the bottle to do another coat or two if I ever need it.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Shape Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
A product recommended to me by another official is called "Shape Up". I bought some from a referee equipment place for about $6. ... I've probably done 25 games with the original coating and it still shines - tho I probably need to touch up some scuff marks. There's probably enough in the bottle to do another coat or two if I ever need it.
A lot of us in this area use this product. My bottle has done several coats and should do quite a few more. However, I find it not holding well to my NewBalance shoes. I applied it when they were brand new (never worn) without any special cleaning. I now find they need touching up after every game or two. I also find my NB shoes with SU seem to collect lint from everywhere, giving them a less-than-shinny look. It wipes off OK, but is still irritating.

I'm considering the Luster product....
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Shape Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
A product recommended to me by another official is called "Shape Up". I bought some from a referee equipment place for about $6. ... I've probably done 25 games with the original coating and it still shines - tho I probably need to touch up some scuff marks. There's probably enough in the bottle to do another coat or two if I ever need it.
A lot of us in this area use this product. My bottle has done several coats and should do quite a few more. However, I find it not holding well to my NewBalance shoes. I applied it when they were brand new (never worn) without any special cleaning. I now find they need touching up after every game or two. I also find my NB shoes with SU seem to collect lint from everywhere, giving them a less-than-shinny look. It wipes off OK, but is still irritating.

I'm considering the Luster product....
My first attempt at applying Leather Luster, I did not get the old polish completely off first and I then applied the Leather Luster. Consequently, the Leather Luster never dried. I wore them to a rec game and picked up so much lint from the floor that I looked like I was wearing fuzzy slippers! My advice is to get the old stuff off first. You don't have to buy Leather Lusters remover. You can buy other removers. (mentioned at Leather Lusters website) Spend some time getting all the old polish off and it will dry properly.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have used Shape-Up with great success. However I can no longer get it from Honig's. I called them to ask why, and they said that they had received too many complaints. Seems it was not sticking to the shoes.

Well, if people would take the time to read the directions, it clearly states that the shoes, esp. if they are new, need to be thoroughly cleaned. Umm I can't seem to make the clock on my VCR quit blinking?...VCR tech. support got so tired of answering that question that now there is a damn button on the front panel to do this...lol

Anyway, if you clean your shoes first, Shape-Up works wonders. I re-applied one coat for the whole season, and it looked great.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 03:49pm
Suppref

Smile Just t be different....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
My fellow officials,
I was wondering what you all have found to give the shiniest appearance to your referee shoes. I was using the Amway shoe spray, but they no longer make it, and my local amway distributer says that he can no longer get it either. I know some sprays crack shoes, but that's okay, cuz I get a new pair every year anyway. Thanks

Jeremy Hohn
My personal preference is not "see yourself" shiny. At the begining of the season, I put a good old fashion Kiwi paste wax shine on the shoes. Then I use Armour All, spray it on let it dry completely then buff with an old T-shirt. Then as they get scuffed I take an old T shirt and buff out the scuffs, and periodically spray more Armour All. Laeves the shoes clean and shiny but not like the patent leathers my 6 year old niece wears. No offense to those who use the Patent leathers, I'm just not into it. I also won't wear saddle style golf shoes, reminds me of a cheerleader
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Supp played the golf card. Now my feelings are hurt.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 06:54am
Suppref

Wink Big Dave, One exception

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Supp played the golf card. Now my feelings are hurt.
Dave, I never meant to hurt your feelings, JMHO, and since your contribution to this forum is always good, your using saddle shoes for golf is OK. I really meant to say the black and white saddle shoes like the girls wore to the "hop" in the 50's. I actually think the brown/tan and white saddles look ok on the golf course.