The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Today in an NBA game, Lebron James was driving the lane. Detroit's Elden Campbell was shielded from James by a Cleveland teammate. Campbell pushed the teammate into James, causing contact on the shot attempt. Official called a foul on Campbell and sent James to the line for two shots.

Campbell never touched James. What's the deal here?

In a high school game, I would most likely give Campbell an intentional foul on the teammate, killing the play. Then give the teammate two shots, and give Cleveland back the ball.

Is there some strange rule in the NBA where you can commit a common foul when you don't even touch the guy? Or is this just another case of the NBA protecting a star player and making up the rules as they go?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 05:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Today in an NBA game, Lebron James was driving the lane. Detroit's Elden Campbell was shielded from James by a Cleveland teammate. Campbell pushed the teammate into James, causing contact on the shot attempt. Official called a foul on Campbell and sent James to the line for two shots.

In a high school game, I would most likely give Campbell an intentional foul on the teammate, killing the play. Then give the teammate two shots, and give Cleveland back the ball.

Under NFHS rules, why would you kill the play on an intentional foul that occurs during an attempted shot? The foul doesn't make the ball dead even though it's committed on the shooter's teammate-- as long as the shooter has begun the act of shooting. If it goes, you count it and then give the shooter's fouled teammate 2 FT's and the ball OOB at the closest spot for a throw-in.

Rules references are rule 6-7Exception3 and casebook plays 6.7COMMENT & 6.7SitC,D.

Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, JR. You are absolutely right. I was mixing up intentional and technical rules. Intentional does not cause the ball to become dead. Thanks much.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm pretty sure that there is a casebook play in the NBA Q & A on this exact play. Unfortunately, my book is about 2000 miles away right now. Maybe proref or somebody can look it up for you.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I'm pretty sure that there is a casebook play in the NBA Q & A on this exact play. Unfortunately, my book is about 2000 miles away right now. Maybe proref or somebody can look it up for you.
Uhhh, Chuck, the approved response is "unfortunately, my book is in MTD's attic behind the monument to J Dallas Shirley right now".

Please use it in future responses. Failure to comply will be dealt with swiftly.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Would it have to be an intentional foul?

If the def player is trying to get in position to challenge the shot or get rebounding position and shoves the off player into the shooter, could it not just be called a pushing foul and the non-shooting player get FT's OR ball out of bounds.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Case Book 150

Player A1 is in the act of shooting.j(James) Player B1(Campbell) pushes Player A2 into Player A1(the shooter) How is this play administered if Team B is in the penalty?

A personal foul is assessed Player B1. If the field goal attempt is successful, Player A2 is awarded one FT attempt regardless of the penalty situation. If the field goal attempt is unsuccessful, Player A1 shall be awarded two FT attempts.

Rule 12B-Section 1-Penalty (3)(4)
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
NBA Case Book 150

Player A1 is in the act of shooting.j(James) Player B1(Campbell) pushes Player A2 into Player A1(the shooter) How is this play administered if Team B is in the penalty?

A personal foul is assessed Player B1. If the field goal attempt is successful, Player A2 is awarded one FT attempt regardless of the penalty situation. If the field goal attempt is unsuccessful, Player A1 shall be awarded two FT attempts.

Rule 12B-Section 1-Penalty (3)(4)

IOW, they got it right!!